Is This a Thing?

Kyle23

Reaction score
I have a ukulele that I'd love to have some inlay work done on, but is that a thing that is possible on an already finished ukulele? If so, how much would such a thing cost? I was looking at sticker decal inlays on ebay and they look decent, but I'd much rather have the real thing. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.

Abalone inlay on the body of the uke.

Thanks guys. I'll check out that link.

I would expect hundreds of dollars at least for the inlay work, depending on how fancy you get, plus at least a partial and possibly a full refinish, depending on the nature of the work. Honestly, unless you are extremely attached to a particular uke, it would probably be easier and more cost-effective to create a new uke.

I would expect hundreds of dollars at least for the inlay work, depending on how fancy you get, plus at least a partial and possibly a full refinish, depending on the nature of the work. Honestly, unless you are extremely attached to a particular uke, it would probably be easier and more cost-effective to create a new uke.

That was my thought too.

Abalone inlay on the body of the uke.

Thanks guys. I'll check out that link.

The problem with adding inlay on the body is that the top plate is thin and adding inlay now will be very risky of cutting through the plate. I wouldn't do it. The time for this type of thing is before the plate is sanded.

Do you mean inlay shell around the perimeter of the top??
I'd say buy/order a new uke with it already in as you would basically have to take the neck and bridge off and refinish the entire top after inlaying the shell.

Given the instruments in your signature, I'd say that abalone inlays in the body of any of them would easily cost more than the original purchase price, possibly multiple times over.

Top Bottom