Savarez String Review

uluapoundr

Reaction score
With so many posts on strings, thought I'd share my opinions, especially on using Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings. I know string choice is very subjective, so here's my subjective review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzcyJmnetvg

Thanks! Nice review, I want to try some out now.

Mahalos brah, fo da review! I like try em fo one 8 and 6 string, PM me with your recommendations. Again Mahaloz fo your kokua . . .

i saw your video and just ordered a set of Savarez strings for my Concert Flea ukulele.

Do you have any recommendations for my Pono PKC 1-E w/ a passive plug in. It has the stock ko'olau golds with but with two metal strings. I wanted to replace the metal G and C strings with nylons. I like the feel of the nylons and i don't want to put anymore wear my fret board.

i just got the savarez strings today and put them on my flea ukulele. they sound really nice but the only thing i didn't like is that they make a squeaky noise when i pluck the strings.

I love Savarez strings! I use the D'Addarios on my Flukes & Fleas. The Savarez are too expensive for them...:(

I love Savarez strings! I use the D'Addarios on my Flukes & Fleas. The Savarez are too expensive for them...:(

You can get two sets for a concert out of one set of Savarez strings, so they are half the price of what you are paying.

strings on 8 string

You can get two sets for a concert out of one set of Savarez strings, so they are half the price of what you are paying.

Excuse my naivite and inexperience, but how exactly do you do that? :eek: Do you chop them in half or what? So you use the guitar d string for the low g on uke? Will these make it harder to play an 8 string as they're probably thicker and , under tension, harder to hold down (especially barre or half barre)?
So a tenor needs two sets?:anyone::)

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention that the strings I'm purchasing are singles, not full sets. They are relatively cheap considering how long they last. My current set has been on my new MB uke about 9 months with no wear whatsoever. On ukes with sharper fretwires, you may need to change more often. A cheaper solution would be to dress the frets.

I've been using the Alliance strings for about 10 years and still love them. I have them on my Kamaka soprano, concert Fluke, all my tenors, and my Baritone. For my soprano and concert, I just cut the full length string in half, two for the price of one.

The three things I really like about the strings are 1. Clarity 2. Sustain 3. Durability.

These strings are respected in the Classical Guitar community, which give it some credibility.

i noticed that Savarez 543R (C), 542R (E) and 541R (A) and D'addrio
NYLO28W combination is normally used here on UU for low G tunning.

what about high G tunning; can the 541 R be used? and is there a
"smooth" low G that are being used? (really dislike the scratchy sound)

i am sorry if this has been discussed. can't seems to "search" it.

TIA.

Glad this topic surfaced again... I have Savarez 541R, 542R, 543R, and 541J strings on the way for reentrant tuning. I should have ordered something for low G as well I suppose. I see there are several choices mentioned for low G:

Craig's link does not take you to a specific string, but looking at the URL and the JustStrings pages, I think he is perhaps linking to the Savarez Corum 504R, 4th string (D) normal tension. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I see also mentioned the D'Addario NYL028W Classical Guitar Silver Plated Wound on Nylon.

Why pick either of these as opposed to the Savarez 544R, which appears to be the wound D string that goes with the afore mentioned treble series? Maybe I don't understand the Savarez numbering scheme. Maybe folks just prefer something else for the low G?

Yes, thank you Craig... but I gathered that your earlier post was related to a specific Savarez D string (for low-G) rather than the Savarez Alliance series of strings. :confused:

Top Bottom