What about kumalae ukulele

lolorella

Reaction score
Hello
i didn't found any thread about kumalae ukulele. So if you are a owner or if you have ever try one , don't forget to tell me what do you think about this brand ?
Bye

Old or new? The original Kumalae were made in the early 1900's to early 1930's, there is a new company using the name that I think makes mostly laminate ukes. The old ones were mostly solid koa and are very lightly built. I have a 1927-1928 that plays and sounds very nice, but since most of them are approaching 100 yrs old I understand there is quite a variability in condition.

I own a 1920 Kumalae Style 25. The koa wood on the body is very thin so it requires extra care with handling and humidity. I love the inlays on the Style 25 and that is the main reason why I bought it. Some of the other models were regarded as tourist 'ukes but not this style. Besides the inlays around the body it has inlays on the neck. And the Style 25 has the banjo-like head.

uke_kumalaesty5 1.jpgkumalae style chart.jpg

Sweet looking Kumalae Peter. What is that magazine you got there? I guess we can feel free to hijack the thread since op doesn't want to discuss it after all !!

Bringing this back to the top...anyone have any experience with the newer Kumalae brand? I see some on the dreaded Amazon...

I've had the vintage ones and got a modern chinese concert one.
as previously said...most vintages were reguarded as touristy ukes and not worth much still dont unless you look at the prices is the UK where there are more
not the best ukes either vintage or modern.. but I do enjoy playing anything and the modern one with aquilas sounds not too bad and is a good beater uke or
on just to leave out in the house to just to grab and play... it holds it's tuning fine with the tuners, has enough volume and the tone not bad on the on the first position frets

I believe the new Kumalae company was offering a higher-end koa soprano made in Japan, but it was about $1000 (relying on memory here), which I thought was too much for an unproven maker. I just tried looking at the new Kumalae website to confirm, and it appears to be down.

Top Bottom