New Bruko No. 6 - Not What I Expected

delray48209

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a new Bruko No 6 from Uke Republic. To be honest, when I unboxed the Bruko and started playing, I was highly disappointed. The first thing I noticed was the action was rather high. Not unplayable but, the action was higher than most ukes I own and play. The sound is definitely different from all the rest of my sopranos. Not bad, just different.

Yes, as everyone has posted on this site, It's built very good. After playing it for a few hours, I was determined to send it back the next day. However, the next day, after picking it up and playing it for a while, things starting to settle down. So, I've decided to keep it because it is a very unique soprano in every sense.

I wonder how difficult/costly it would be to have the action lowered? It looks like the entire bridge would have to be removed in order to lower the strings. Has anyone had the action lowered on their Bruko?

Best Regards,
Frank

Frank, let me tell you my story. My 6 Bruko came from uke republic also. Same concerns as you, wanted to send back then wanted to sell it for 100.00. Put it away, gave up on it. I changed the strings to living waters and a little better but still didn't like it. Do whatever you need to do with it but I kept playing it when I could stand to and man it finally opened up or I just came to love it. Crisp loud and even sound, one of my go to Ukes when playing in public. I don't think people give it time smooth out. Just sayin. Phil

Frank, right you are on both observations, the action on a Brüko is high and the sound is unique to the extent that it is in a class by itself. I've adjusted the action on all six of my Brükos and they are comfortable to play with good intonation. One advantage of a slightly high action is no buzzing and the ability to attack the strings with force so be careful what you wish for if you want very low action on your Brüko. Smart move to let the instrument settle in before making a rash decision about its worth. There is often the inclination to pass harsh judgment about an instrument after playing it for just a couple minutes. If the instrument came with the stock Pyramid strings you might consider changing them to Fremont Blacklines. My opinion is that they complement the Brüko nicely. Check with a local luthier for a price on adjusting the action.

I think you two are right on the money with this ukulele. Astonishing that it has opened up a lot since playing it for several hours. I've decided not to return it, because I think there is some magic hidden in this little box.

I have purchased many Brukos directly from Herr Pfeiffer in Germany, and they're all high action. Why they will not lower them at the factory given the overwhelmingly mentioned high action, I don't know. If I bought a Bruko from a uke dealer in the USA, I'd ask them to lower the action as part of my purchase, or I'd return it, post haste.

I have two Brukos, a concert and a tenor and didn't particularly find the action high on either, at least not at the nut. It is a little high towards the bridge. I certainly don't find it uncomfortable to play there, though I don't play up the neck much. The intonation at that end is still good. Maybe a few cents sharp but marginal.

I like the stock pyramid strings. I realise most don't but they suit the Bruko sound IMO. You definitely need to give them time to settle in. My concert is turning out to be real beauty. Two people (both guitarists) have commented - positively - on its sound recently. The tenor is newer and I have it in Bb tuning and so I don't play it quite as much so it's not yet had time to settle in properly.

I tried a No 6 Soprano at a uke fest last October. I really liked it and was very tempted to buy one but got the tenor instead. I will likely buy one sometime in the future but just at the moment, I need to shed some ukes I'm not playing before I get more.

It's clear the Brukos are an acquired taste, but give them time and they are a great uke. Well made, superb finish and good intonation and they have their own unique sound.

Last edited:
I am far, far from an expert but it is my understanding that a higher action produces more volume. If this is the case perhaps this is the reason they are produced this way.

I think my initial problem with the Bruko is that I'm a light strummer/picker. The bruko definitely likes to be strummed/pick harder.

Most KoAloha ukes also come from the factory with what I consider a pretty high action at the bridge. Not unplayable, just higher than I like. Andrew at HMS has pointed out that it is easier to lower the action at the saddle than raise it, which is probably why some manufacturers choose to err towards being higher rather than lower.

Also, if you play vigorously you will appreciate the higher action. I used to have all of my ukes set very, very low. MGM characterized it as "dangerously low" when he was setting up Kiwaya longneck for me once. However, after I started working on my right hand technique and doing more rolls and triplets and pattern picking and such I came to appreciate a little higher action and have actually raised the action a little on a couple of my ukes.

John

I have purchased many Brukos directly from Herr Pfeiffer in Germany, and they're all high action. Why they will not lower them at the factory given the overwhelmingly mentioned high action, I don't know. If I bought a Bruko from a uke dealer in the USA, I'd ask them to lower the action as part of my purchase, or I'd return it, post haste.

+1
High action is a deal breaker for me.
I consider too high of an action as not-properly-set-up. Once you lower it yourself (at your own cost) other problems like buzzing frets might reveal themselves. You won't then be able to then return it :(

Last edited:
Off came the Pyramids and on went the D'Addario Nyltech. What a difference!

Off came the Pyramids and on went the D'Addario Nyltech. What a difference!

I find that the Pyramid strings have a thrash "brittle" sound! It is not the sweetest sound but loud and punk! hehe I have two Brukos in my collection (a custom soprano) and its action is very low. My other black Bruko's action is a little higher but not an issue for me.

Petey

I find that the Pyramid strings have a thrash "brittle" sound! It is not the sweetest sound but loud and punk! hehe I have two Brukos in my collection (a custom soprano) and its action is very low. My other black Bruko's action is a little higher but not an issue for me.

Petey

Great description of the Pyramid strings. Very brittle sounding.

My custom Bruko came with two saddles: the normal one and a considerably lower one. Upon arrival I changed the saddle, put soft SouthCoast Soft light medium strings on, and it was a perfect little uke. The number 6 doesn't have a saddle but a one piece bridge, but it is possible to lower it a bit.
I actually don't mind a little higher action. I'm a bass player and my basses
Also have a little higher action. It gives more tone. And once
You've played with the LaBella James Jamerson flatwound it all doesn't matter anymore.

Give the 6 a chance and see what the higher action can give you in return. More volume and tone, a stronger left hand, and a distinctive sound that has a character and charm of its own.

As long as the intonation is correct, action is a preference. It's another 'ukulele quirk' where high action is deemed unacceptable, whereas in other string instruments it is seen as something that some players prefer. Guitar players who play a lot of slide, or just like playing really hard will often have a high action. Bass players who play slap, or like to really dig into the strings like their actions high. It's something to file alongside 'you must strum at the twelfth fret' in the 'ukulele myths' draw. Bruko's actions are higher than average, that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing.

I despise the pyramid strings that Bruko use - no idea why they do as most reviews I read say the same thing.

I have Worth Browns on mine - the action is great and I love it.

One thing it isn't is the nicest tone you will find - it kind of has its own voice. BUT.... it is also one of the cheapest all solid wood ukes you will find.

Tone wise, I much prefer the Ohana SK25 soprano, which is about the same money - but the Bruko has the looks and charm that few other ukes have I think

I've bought and sold a lot of ukes. Bruko's action is stratospheric compared to any--Koaloha, Ohana, Martin, Kiwaya, etc.--that I have owned. Playing it, as such, is prone to string bending out of tune because of the nosebleed distance from string to fretboard being telephone pole-to-street. And no, it's not something that one can train themselves out of with practice and skill any more than one can practice themselves into avoiding loose stools after a milkshake when they are lactose intolerant.

I know. I've tried and failed with both Brukos and malted frappes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom