PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bb

uke201
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I have trouble playing this cleanly. It nearly always sounds kinda muted. I know if I get the positions exactly right it'll be better but that's hard when the chord comes in the middle of a bunch of other chords. Any suggestions other than practice practice practice for 10,000 hours?

deach
01-27-2009, 12:45 AM
How are you playing it? Do you barre the first fret?

HaileISela
01-27-2009, 01:05 AM
it should be like 1123, shouldn't it? well, try to move your index a little up or down, there are parts in your finger which work better pressing down the strings than other. apart of that:

Any suggestions other than practice practice practice for 10,000 hours?

:old:

LonnaB
01-27-2009, 03:18 AM
My daughter's having a hard time with that chord, as well. :wallbash:

Try paying attention to where you have your thumb positioned on the neck of your uke. I find that a slight adjustment in the angle and the pressure I'm putting back there can help a chord form easier.

Practice is important- pick a song you like with that chord and practice it every day. You will get better!

Good luck

Link
01-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Practice practice practice. This same shape killed me when I first started guitar. It's the cheap way to do and F on guitar. Just keep practicing, you'll be there in no time.

Toucan Mango
01-27-2009, 04:13 AM
This easy play along song on YouTube helped me out with that chord. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS43EP1EXz4&feature=related

bryan
01-27-2009, 04:59 AM
It can sometimes help to break the chord down into two stages, play the Bb7 (1211) 1st and then add a finger on 3rd fret to make it Bb (3211).

You'll be playing it without thinking in no time at all .

Hobgoblin Steve
01-27-2009, 05:22 AM
This easy play along song on YouTube helped me out with that chord. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS43EP1EXz4&feature=related

hah thats the first song song I learned on my crappy hilo. then the UAS kicked in :/
I wish he did more play alongs

freedive135
01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Along with the other good advice you may want to check the action at the nut.
I was having the same problem with my Pono Soprano and the E and C strings were higher on the nut than the G and A.
I had my local shop lower the C a little and the E alot and now no more problems.

I was/am baring the first fret for this chord.

PickNStrum
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I have trouble playing this cleanly. It nearly always sounds kinda muted. I know if I get the positions exactly right it'll be better but that's hard when the chord comes in the middle of a bunch of other chords. Any suggestions other than practice practice practice for 10,000 hours?
The biggest problem most beginning players have with this chord and many other chords is "not dropping their wrist on the left hand" For some reason it's natural at first for people to hold their wrist straight or even up. You must relax the left wrist and let it drop to be able to play this chord. Try over emphasizing it at first. You may also want to try holding the neck of the instrument higher as well. Hope this helps

MisoHappy
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
When I first saw Bb, I thought there wasn't anything harder, but "practice, practice, practice" will always work

ukusaurus
01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I hardly play any barre chords so I just use four fingers for that chord or even chords like B. Middle finger on A , Pointer on E, Ring on C and Pinky on G. I don't have any problems playing the chord but I wouldn't really recommend playing like this because its probably much harder than barring.

uke201
01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
This advice is so good. It gives me lots of things to try in my 10,000 hours of practice. I'm quite tiny for an adult with very small hands. I'm using those finger stretching exercises Aldrine gave us recently too. I'm very delighted with all the replies. Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
To answer your question, I learned the Bb chord about 2 weeks ago. At first it sounded muted and my ukulele teacher looked at the way I was playing it and had me adjust my fingers. I have to say that I finally mastered it last week when I went for my lesson. The Bb chord is one of the hardest basic chord to master. And also practice, practice, and practice.

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
i swear i posted in this thread hahaha
practise, do chors like C G Bb.... will help but practise.

ukantor
01-28-2009, 12:07 AM
The Bflat shape is very important as it is one of the basic moveable ones. Slide it one fret higher, and you are playing 'B' - 4322 - one more gives 'C' - 5433 - etc. So you must master it. It is easier to manage if you place your thumb at the back of the neck. Some chords are OK to play with the neck resting in the web at the base of your thumb, but others require more mobility of the fingers. When I play Bb my thumb is placed at the back of the headstock, between the nut and the first two tuners.

I remember it being difficult when I was learning, along with Dm7 (2213), F7 (2313), and of course our old friend E is a swine!

Practice, practice, practice. In a short while you will wonder what the problem was.

Ukantor

hoosierhiver
01-28-2009, 03:59 AM
After a distant realtionship for awhile,I now feel like I'm on a first name basis with Bb.The secret for me was to find a few songs that I really wanted to learn with the 1-4-5 being F,Bb and C.It'll be friendly to you in no time.

Ukulele JJ
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Another trick is to play it as 3213. That's actually a Bb(add2), but it sounds nice in a lot of cases... especially if you're in the key of F.

JJ

TomHB
01-28-2009, 05:36 AM
If you're coming from guitar, B, Bb and C (5433) etc is one of the easiest chord shapes to play on uke. Especially if on occasion you play "F shape" chords on guitar using the thumb over the top to hit the low E string, instead of a full bar. Seems harder, to me, to try to bar the entire chord on uke. Just bar the first two strings with your index finger. As another poster said, make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, for better leverage.

Just keep at it. I'll come.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/TomHB_2007/BbChord72.jpg

gobes
01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
I think that one of the keys to playing the Bb shape, as illustrated in the picture above, is to tilt your hand so that your thumb sort of points towards the tuners.
While it is probably considered good technique to keep your thumb on the back of the neck and parallel to the frets it just doesn't work for the Bb.

jinsk90
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I actually had the same problem too with Bb. I don't think theres a real silver bullet, I kept trying/practicing and now its easy.

cpatch
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I remember when I first started learning to play guitar I swore I'd never be able to play a G chord. When I finally moved past that, barre chords became impossible. Time has a way of chipping away at most obstacles.

uke201
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Again, even more good advice. Thanks.

uke201
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
it's all working. i'm getting better. :)

zombizon
02-05-2009, 03:03 AM
This thread was SO helpful. This chord was killing me. Amazing that just changing my thumb position a little bit made such a huge difference. Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great advice.

generem
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Bb was a pain for me too... It always sounded muted... it didnt matter how much pressure i used on the A string, it always sounded dead during faster progression.. The one thing that helped me the most was keeping my left elbow off my knee while playing. The freedom of my shoulder, elbow and wrist helps alot. As an example, for me to cleanly play the Bb chord, I have to tilt my left wrist up. Now all I have to do is find the right angle for the E chord ;)

carolbonomo
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Must admit, I can play B-flat somewhat cleanly on my soprano Martin and NOT AT ALL on my tenor Lanikai. Size make that much of a difference, or quality of 'uke? Whatever, I substitute a B flat 6th on the tenor and keep on going...

matchubouye
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM
press on the frets harder