Love song writing help

setstage

Reaction score
Can someone give me pointers on writing a love song so that it doesn't sound cheesy. Please don't say write from your heart or something, I just keep coming up with similar corny things.

Poems

A few ideas. Write the words first. Try writing a poem. Sometimes having the words first can be a big help. Try this, buy a huge book of love poems on the bargain shelf at a Borders or Barnes and Noble or something and try putting some of the poems in the book to your rhythms. Then you don't have to actually write the song to start out but you can get an idea of how to turn the words into song. I used to do this when I was younger and I found it to ver very helpful in my later songwriting process.

Good Luck!

A few ideas. Write the words first. Try writing a poem. Sometimes having the words first can be a big help. Try this, buy a huge book of love poems on the bargain shelf at a Borders or Barnes and Noble or something and try putting some of the poems in the book to your rhythms. Then you don't have to actually write the song to start out but you can get an idea of how to turn the words into song. I used to do this when I was younger and I found it to ver very helpful in my later songwriting process.

Good Luck!

That's great advice!

Three more pieces of advice ...

Write long and cut short. Write as many verses as you can and don't stop to edit. Once you've written a billion verses (ok, maybe less -- but maybe more!), then go back and cut and combine the best.

Just go with writing a corny love song. Love songs don't always have to be serious and heartachingly sincere. Be joyous, goofy, silly.

Try writing a love song without using the word love.

Write long and cut short. Write as many verses as you can and don't stop to edit. Once you've written a billion verses (ok, maybe less -- but maybe more!), then go back and cut and combine the best.

That's excellent advice. I've never had problems with songwriting.. bu that is definitely something I'll use if I ever decide to write a serious song.

That's excellent advice. I've never had problems with songwriting.. bu that is definitely something I'll use if I ever decide to write a serious song.

Cool. I'm glad it could help ya out.

btw, it also works on non-serious songs, too. ;)

It's okay to be cheesy, but say something concrete. Be as specific as possible. Use real objects in your lyrics. Use verbs with imagery.

Can someone give me pointers on writing a love song so that it doesn't sound cheesy. Please don't say write from your heart or something, I just keep coming up with similar corny things.
You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs, but I look around me and I see it isn't so.

The song being quoted is a great example of a cheesy love song that works. He's not that specific as far as concreteness is concerned, but the sentiment being expressed is specific. A love song about love songs. That's unique.

Of course, it helps if you've got a great melody, which Paul is an undisputed master of.

One thing that I'd suggest is a rhyming dictionary. They've totally has helped me out in a jam on many occasions. There are several online, such as rhymezone.com, Dillfrog's Rhyming helper, and perfectryme.com. All of those are great, but I tend to prefer to write the rough drafts of my songs in a spiral notebook (the more I get away from the computer, the more I can focus completely on writing). So I have a small, pocket sized rhyming notebook that I keep handy. It's called Essential Songwriter's Rhyming Dictionary and it's from Alfred Publishing. It's a great resource because, in addition to listing the rhymes, it gives pretty detailed information about structuring rhymes in your songs and also tips to better lyric writing. It's small enough to keep in a gig bag pocket, so it's always handy when you need it.

I agree with everyone else.

And I'll add that you should be careful if you choose to rhyme. Rhymes are great, but you want to make sure that what you're saying makes sense. If you can't find a word that fits both your rhyme scheme and your sentence, try changing the word you're rhyming it with.

Good luck! :D

You know, you gotta start somewhere and even if it is a little cheesy it's a starting point.

song writing is still new for me and I know what I write at first will not be a masterpiece or anything but hopefully if I do it enough I'll get better. Hopefully.

Practice practice practice

I go with the concrete ideas, I've only written one love song 'I'm gonna wear these shoes...' (http://myspace.com/ukechimp) and I used the idea that I'd wear these shoes til they fall apart because they reminded me of my wife (it was a pair of very fine TUK sneakers with a rising sun on the side and I wore them for our wedding). The point is try to hone in on details that are important to you, don't worry that other people wont get it, they'll 'feel' it.
ukemonkey

Top Bottom