Need advice/input on Baritone high "d" configuration

Tannicmonster

Reaction score
I play a tenor with a high g configuration. I am having a luthier make a baritone uke and I am considering having it with a high "d" configuration.
I understand that most baritones would have a DGBE configuration just like the bottom four strings of a guitar. Am I making a mistake here? Or, since I am used to a high g tenor is this the best option for me? Any adive would be appreciated.

It would not hurt to try it but for me personally, I prefer high g only on sopranos.

even for a tenor uke, I prefer the linear\low g tunning, it is more open to melody lines since you get a wider range of notes and a good bass line. While on the soprano I tend to use it more for strumming.

A Baritone being even deeper and further way from the traditional Uke sound, I would recommend you try out low "D" Linear tunning, it will give you a nice alternative to your ukulele playing.

But like I said though it's worth trying it out. As long as you don't modify the nut just to try it, you should be fine.

A re-entrant dGBE baritone sounds great. Do a search on youtube, and you'll find out how it can sound!

Yes, Yes! I just shipped a new walnut baritone. The owner isn't committed to any particular tuning, so I tried some options. It sounded best to me with reentrant DGBE (Southcoast Heavy) so that's what I sent to the owner.

Don't be afraid to experiment. It's fun and strings are cheap. :)

Top Bottom