Using basic technology to help you learn

ScottRule

Reaction score
I wanted to pass on some ideas but also we what others are doing, i.e., in using technology in your learning process.

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
When I want to try to learn something that is way too fast, I record it with Audacity (hit record in Audacity, hit play in YouTube, etc.). Once you've recorded it, Audacity lets you do two cool things- Change Tempo and Change Pitch. Change tempo lets you slow down them damn fast songs, but it also lets you hears stuff you might have missed at full speed. DirtyJohnson, for example, used a Bend Down/Bend Up in Voodoo Child that adds a cool sound, but I didn't catch at all. Warning: Others in the room may start having flashbacks when they hear it, especially if... t... h... e... r... e i... s s... i... n... g... i... n... g. Change pitch helped in Voodoo Child as well because I chose to play in the open tuning of G (can't do the pitch change in my head) and DirtyJohnson seemed to be off in F an octave higher (and I didn't want to tune to that and snap my uke in half ;-).

Guitar Pro
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php
I've heard that you can't use this for the uke and was convinced that this was try. After messing around, I found that I can create a new score, specify four strings/tuning of each (***and raise them to a higher key***- by default it picks, e.g., the lower guitar A). You can then document the songs you learn from the process above (Audacity) or figure out yourself. I've attached a bit of Voodoo Child- the GP file and a screen shot). Documenting it, in addition to helping me remember from session to session- a challenge, lets me play it back, Compare it to the original video (to see if I've heard it right), work on little bits over and over (it will loop whatever you highlight/play, etc.)

Intelitouch Tuner
http://www.tuners.com/pt1.asp
In addition to the obvious use as, um, a tuner, it helps me when I'm noodling around. If you're like me, you know some but not all notes on the fretboard. If a jump from X to Y sounds good, I can see what I'm playing, think about the intervals, then get a better sense of why it sounded good, etc.

What are YOU doing?

Attachments

• VooDooScreenShot.jpg
    VooDooScreenShot.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Voodoo Child_GuitarPro.zip
    701 bytes · Views: 5
I use a Palm phone, and I've got a chord finder app, a tuner app (which isn't great, but works in a pinch), and a metronome. The metronome especially has helped, since I usually play by myself and I'm too lazy to set up the drum machine app I've got on my laptop.

wow that audiacy looks real nice bro! Defiantly will help me big time!

I've got ... a tuner app (which isn't great, but works in a pinch)...

Speaking of tuners, I forgot to mention that I use my guitar tuner as well:

Sabine MT9000
http://www.sabine.com/sabine-music-accessories/SABINE-MI-products.htm
When I was trying to bring down the pitch of Voodoo Child (that I recorded of YouTube with Audacity), I put the tuner next to the speakers to see what registered when DirtyJohnson hit his first note (I knew it was higher that the very last fret of my A string, but that was all). Once I knew it was an "F," I could figure it out from there.

thats amazing man,,, us musoes just got it to ezy these days,, what ever happ'nd to the ol' fasion way of listen'n over and over and then try'n to figure it all out,,,,,:eek:ld:
I see your play'n my version of Voodoo Chile in Open G/A,, sweet,
your right ,, i play in open F ,, and if your worry'n tun'n your uke that high,, ive found that open E can give your the same tones and pitch's that you are after without straining your uke to much,,,
Thanks Scott, i'm honored that someone has botherd or even taken the time to tab one of my tunes,,,, cool post man,,

Good suggestions. I've been using audacity to record but I haven't used it to change tempos or keys.
I've also been using powertab (similar to guitar pro). This allows me to work on an arrangement and then let powertab play it back to get a good idea of how it sounds.

I guess I'm getting pretty old because I have to laugh that this stuff is "basic technology".

I've also been using powertab (similar to guitar pro). This allows me to work on an arrangement and then let powertab play it back to get a good idea of how it sounds.

Guitar Pro imports Power Tab files, but I'm not sure if it goes the other way. Do you know? This opens up a bunch of "cross pollination" of uke files that we create/share.

Guitar Pro imports Power Tab files, but I'm not sure if it goes the other way. Do you know? This opens up a bunch of "cross pollination" of uke files that we create/share.

No, it doesn't look like powertab will import guitar pro files.

No, it doesn't look like powertab will import guitar pro files.

FYI (again in the spirit of sharing)

Guitar Pro Imports

MIDI (and converts to tab!)
ASCII
MusicXML
PowerTab
TabEdit

Guitar Pro Exports

MIDI
ASCII
MusicXML
WAV
BMP
PDF

It also (I discovered yesterday/today):

- Converts tab for left handed

- Lets you convert Guitar Pro tabs (on, e.g., Ultimate Guitar) and convert for uke. By default the tuning is incorrect, but if you change the settings (Track/Properties/Change tuning from G3 C3 E3 A3 to G5 C5 E5 A5), it then transcribes correctly. Odd- It lists C and G uke tuning in the pull-down menu as tuning options, but they need to be tweaked?! I'll let Guitar Pro know.

I just picked a random tab and tried this now (see attached results). Looks and sounds OK (and there are the parts for 2 ukes!)

Attachments

• Losing my Religion_Uke_Page_01.jpg
    Losing my Religion_Uke_Page_01.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • Losing my Religion_Uke_GuitarPro.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the info. Powertab will import midi so that may be a good option for sharing.
Also, tuxguitar will import guitar pro files.

For the iPhone and iPod Touch there are a variety of tuners if you have a 3G model or latest generation Touch (I like ClearTune), UkeChords for finding chords, and PocketGuitar for noodling around with melodies when you don't have a uke with you (you can set it up to emulate a uke).

Found a site that lets people collaboritively create/listen to musical notation. They're working on adding tablature, but the ukulele is not currenly one of the instrument options.

If you join, you can then vote on features for the next build. I've added "Add the uke." Join and vote so that we can, one day, work together on tabbing out one of our favorite pieces.

http://www.noteflight.com/

Noteflight, LLC is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and is dedicated to reinventing the way that people create, share and use written music. Our product doesn't merely improve on other music notation software: it lets written music take advantage of the full power of the web as we know it today. Noteflight is a powerful full-featured application to edit, display and play back music notation in a standard web browser, integrated in an online library of musical scores that anyone can publish, link to, or embed.

Word back from Guitar Pro

By default the tuning is incorrect, but if you change the settings (Track/Properties/Change tuning from G3 C3 E3 A3 to G5 C5 E5 A5), it then transcribes correctly. Odd- It lists C and G uke tuning in the pull-down menu as tuning options, but they need to be tweaked?! I'll let Guitar Pro know.

From Guitar Pro Staff:

01/28/09 23:09,
you wrote:
Guitar Pro lists C and G ukulele tuning in the pull-down menu as tuning options, but they need to be tweaked.

By default the ukulele tuning is incorrect, but if you change the settings (Track/Properties/Change tuning from G3 C3 E3 A3 to G5 C5 E5 A5), it then transcribes correctly.

Fix this and you might get more ukulele sales. As is, the word in the forums us that GP doesn't work for ukulele.

Other than that, love it!

02/02/09 10:49,
we wrote:
So the correct tuning is G5 C5 E5 A5 ? (we are 2 octavia lower ?) We'll change it for next version. Note that you can change the default tuning in the tuning.dat (open it with notepad) and then when you have this line :
Ukulele G Tuning=38,43,47,52|25|G Tuning

Change it to (if i made no mistake for numbers).
Ukulele G Tuning=62,67,71,76|25|G Tuning
The number are the midi number.

We stay at your disposal for any additional information you may require.

Musically Yours,
Franck, Technical Support
Guitar Pro.

the new VLC Player is cool as you can slow things down as slow as you want and still maintain the audio.......it also makes for pretty funny viewing if you speed up the music too.....haha

Top Bottom