Imua Tenor Strings

brh007

Reaction score
Hi.

Just bought an Imua Tenor and is set up w Oasis Fluorocarbons with a wound Low-G. I like the sound of the strings, very clear distinction between each, but the projection seems to be lacking. I previously had a Kamaka HF-3 (deceased, in an accident :(), and wanted another tenor. Had a hard time sourcing an new HF-3, and decided to take a chance on the Imua. Beautiful instrument, love it, but would love it more if it was a bit boomier and louder. My Kamaka sported a Worth Low-G set, and it was so sweet.

Suggestions, should I try Worth Low-G's on the Imua (or other suggestions). Thanks, and glad to be a part of the forum!

Kanile'a Soprano K1-SF
Ko'Aloha Concert
Imua Tenor iT
Kamaka HF-3 (R.I.P.)

If the ukulele is brand new, give it some time to open up.
Also it can take some time for you to adjust to getting the voice out of the instrument you are looking for.
I use LaBella polished flat wound low g's. The low g ukuleles I have them on have a nice boom to the low, but not over powering to the trebles. (flouro-carbons)

Thank you SailingUke. Will give it a month or two to settle in. Appreciate your quick reply and advice! Haven't heard of the LaBella's, but will put them on my radar.

I had the same issue with a Big Island concert. Beatiful instrument without adoubt, truly flawless in construction compareing in the trait to any higher end ukulele, like Kamaka, Kanilea, etc... but the sound just wasn't there in comparison to my Kamaka or Kanilea. What is the difference between Big Island and Imua other than were they are built?

Thnx DWave. May just be gilded hindsight over my Kamaka. But I do love the Uke. Interesting that you had the same experience. Hope it opens up.

Thnx DWave. May just be gilded hindsight over my Kamaka. But I do love the Uke. Interesting that you had the same experience. Hope it opens up.

Sold it and bought a Kanilea Super Concert. I have a Kamaka and a G-String also. No problems with opening up with these three Hawaiian made Ukes. I am very perplexed with this from Imua and Big Island because the build is as equally flawless as these other Hawaiian builds.

If your Imua is new the strings are most likely Orcas Fluorocarbon strings. Originally Imua used Hilo but switched to Orcas in 2013.

My Imua concert has Orcas strings. They're hard to find in the States in soprano/concert size. I try to work with the builder's choice of strings thinking that they know better than I do. The luthier & lumber pedigree of Imua 'ukes is pretty good.

The Imua is a little quiet compared to my KoAloha l/n pineapple and KoAlana concert. It is opening up nicely. I love the sweetness and balance of tone.

The one time I tried Oasis strings they didn't suit my KoAlana concert at all. Got them off pronto and put on Worth CL which are just right. The Oasis strings may be a little heavy for your Imua.

Believe me Its not the strings....Oasis is a punchy clear good strings...if your uke is with low volume, throw some Aquila on....good luck

Top Bottom