Baking Soda and Superglue

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Useful trick if it's true. I'll leave it to the experts to set me straight on the usability or otherwise of this technique.

I've done this on steel string guitars and it has held up for 5 years +

On a nylon string instrument, it would last for aaaaaaaaaagggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss

To add colour I use artist chalks, sometimes called soft pastels, not oil pastels. Some of the colours don't wet easily with the ca or set up too quickly leaving a cap over dry chalk.Alternately 5 minute epoxy works great for marker dots and such like.

The best use of superglue and baking soda that I know of is to use it on worn out vintage tuning pegs. A lot of those pegs eventually wear the inner part of the knob smooth so they slip, using the baking soda/superglue you can apply the glue, quickly put the metal peg in for the shape you want and quickly remove it and let it dry. Hope that made sense.

Fantastic video. I thought it would be more complicated than this but it's very straight forward. Just the right tools and your good to go. Now if I could just get myself to spend $35.00 on ONE file from Stew Mac...ouch.

Another superglue tip is that superglue accellerator is usually just isopropyl alcohol, which is much cheaper when sold as isopropyl alcohol rather than superglue accelerator. I use methylated spirits as a superglue accellerator, though in Australia meths now no longer contains methanol but uses a bittering agent to make it taste bad. Apparently making you go blind and killing you was found to be a disproportionate penalty for dodging alcohol tax. It also makes it safer for its intended use. I used to get cracking headaches when using the old formulation which has methanol in it.

Top Bottom