PDA

View Full Version : Baking Soda and Superglue

The Big Kahuna
12-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Useful trick if it's true. I'll leave it to the experts to set me straight on the usability or otherwise of this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
12-18-2013, 11:19 AM
I've done this on steel string guitars and it has held up for 5 years +

On a nylon string instrument, it would last for aaaaaaaaaagggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss

Timbuck
12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
On ebony nuts...I've used charcoal and CA with good results.

Titchtheclown
12-18-2013, 12:54 PM
To add colour I use artist chalks, sometimes called soft pastels, not oil pastels. Some of the colours don't wet easily with the ca or set up too quickly leaving a cap over dry chalk.Alternately 5 minute epoxy works great for marker dots and such like.

hoosierhiver
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
The best use of superglue and baking soda that I know of is to use it on worn out vintage tuning pegs. A lot of those pegs eventually wear the inner part of the knob smooth so they slip, using the baking soda/superglue you can apply the glue, quickly put the metal peg in for the shape you want and quickly remove it and let it dry. Hope that made sense.

blue_knight_usa
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Fantastic video. I thought it would be more complicated than this but it's very straight forward. Just the right tools and your good to go. Now if I could just get myself to spend $35.00 on ONE file from Stew Mac...ouch.

Allen
12-19-2013, 08:49 AM
It will set up harder than the bone or wood that you are filling. It's a very common repairman's trick to help keep the cost of the repair down.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
What's the baking soda do? I think medium ca by itself works just as well.

hoosierhiver
12-19-2013, 03:12 PM
What's the baking soda do? I think medium ca by itself works just as well.

I think it gives you a better ability to shape it and maybe a little more time.

Allen
12-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Baking soda is the filler. I use bone dust with thin CA when I use this trick.

Titchtheclown
12-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Another superglue tip is that superglue accellerator is usually just isopropyl alcohol, which is much cheaper when sold as isopropyl alcohol rather than superglue accelerator. I use methylated spirits as a superglue accellerator, though in Australia meths now no longer contains methanol but uses a bittering agent to make it taste bad. Apparently making you go blind and killing you was found to be a disproportionate penalty for dodging alcohol tax. It also makes it safer for its intended use. I used to get cracking headaches when using the old formulation which has methanol in it.

UkeKiddinMe
12-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Dan Erlewine is The Man. If he says it, it's correct.

Allen
12-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Another superglue tip is that superglue accellerator is usually just isopropyl alcohol, which is much cheaper when sold as isopropyl alcohol rather than superglue accelerator.

That I did not know. Off to give that a try.

Timbuck
12-20-2013, 10:15 AM
It's also an ingrediant for making chemical weapon sarin gas .:( So be careful what you mix it with.