SQUIRRELY MODIFICATIONS i DID TO A SOPRANO FLEA PICS. Finally!!!

dismount

Reaction score
I even did something else but this is what I did yesterday. What I tried tonite is put a super thin piece of osage in the micro area between the zero fret and the nut then fret filed the strings into them. In the pic you just have to keep sanding the wood piece down untill the strings rest in the nut slots so you wont get a buzzing sound, but still have string tension to hold it in place. WHEW!!

Attachments

• DSC03893.jpg
    DSC03893.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03891.jpg
    DSC03891.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 97
Did the mods make a significant difference to the sound? I'd love a before and after video ;-)

I love the idea of a fluke or flea and i have a fluke myself that i rarely played and finally gave to my son. It was the particularly boomy slightly plastic sound that i was never happy about. I am wondering if this gives the fluke more a complex and treble sound?
Bill

Well I'm not any kind of expert but to my ears it improved the sound and tone Oh.. 25 to 30% improvement. Not gonna make it a kamaka or Moore Bettah but enough for me to want to sit and play it more. That is just what I did to experiment, so I thought I'd share. No guarantees results may vary, stop if you experience aggression, mood swings or thoughts of suicide, and consult with your family Luthier. ;)

Did this change the intonation?

:confused:
So confused. you pushed the saddle back a few mm, and a block to raise the string out of the nut a little?
How is the intonation?

I posted and earlier thread labeled the same saying what happened but without pics. Anyway,it is really funny the intonation is spot on and it shouldn't be. to go a step futher, i removed the wood above the nut and slid a thin wafer of osage between zero fret and the nut and filed the strings into it. It was a pain but that was just as good or better. Thats what I mean its squirrelly that it plays in tune and sounds better. Go figure!

Did the mods make a significant difference to the sound? I'd love a before and after video ;-)

I love the idea of a fluke or flea and i have a fluke myself that i rarely played and finally gave to my son. It was the particularly boomy slightly plastic sound that i was never happy about. I am wondering if this gives the fluke more a complex and treble sound?
Bill

billten, I had a fluke and It sounded that way to me too. I bet it will help it. Hey what have you got to lose? it helped my treble side alot. Phil

Top Bottom