Electric invasion - New Ukes Day

Macmuse

Reaction score
Well, Christmas is continuing to come early in our household for a variety of reasons.

Aquadan showed off the Timm's 0 he received and many people know we picked up that amazing uke from Antebellum (christened the can-jolele over in the Pono TE thread).

Good thing I settled on an amp finally (to try out the pickup in my Brüko baritone).

I got my son an Epiphone as one of his early presents. Not sure how we lucked out on the lack of a pick guard on this one. I was surprised when I opened the box to check it upon arrival and thrilled I didn't have to try to peel one off! Everything else looks & sounds fine, though it ships with guitar info (care of your uke, or stringing your uke -- nope... all guitar?!). It has found a home with a rather happy kid.

epiphone.jpg

... and the Pono TE-1 arrived today! She's a satin, cedar top, acacia back beauty. I just love the grain up the side I get to look at when I play. Nothing compares to Andrew's photos of the amazing ukes they sell at HMS, but here are a few shots (that do not do this lovely instrument justice).

Note: no children were required to skip Christmas to enable the acquisition of this stunning instrument (see Pono thread linked above). ;)

Attachments

• pono-TE1.jpg
    pono-TE1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 50
  • pono-TE1a.jpg
    pono-TE1a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
  • pono-TE1b.jpg
    pono-TE1b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34
  • pono-TE1c.jpg
    pono-TE1c.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Pono looks great! I love mine, they sound great even unplugged.

Well, Christmas is continuing to come early in our household for a variety of reasons.

Aquadan showed off the Timm's 0 he received and many people know we picked up that amazing uke from Antebellum (christened the can-jolele over in the Pono TE thread).

Good thing I settled on an amp finally (to try out the pickup in my Brüko baritone).

I got my son an Epiphone as one of his early presents. Not sure how we lucked out on the lack of a pick guard on this one. I was surprised when I opened the box to check it upon arrival and thrilled I didn't have to try to peel one off! Everything else looks & sounds fine, though it ships with guitar info (care of your uke, or stringing your uke -- nope... all guitar?!). It has found a home with a rather happy kid.

View attachment 62082

... and the Pono TE-1 arrived today! She's a satin, cedar top, acacia back beauty. I just love the grain up the side I get to look at when I play. Nothing compares to Andrew's photos of the amazing ukes they sell at HMS, but here are a few shots (that do not do this lovely instrument justice).

Note: no children were required to skip Christmas to enable the acquisition of this stunning instrument (see Pono thread linked above). ;)

hey nice find on the les paul i love mine :) Was it used its crazy it has no pick guard! i actually like mine on my uke
but it looks nice with out too

Quick first impressions: The neck on this is a little less chunky than my other Ponos, I think I'm going to like how it plays. The fretboard is radiused and bound and feels incredibly smooth.

I'm about to travel, so I'm not going to get to play with this until I get back in January. Hopefully Macmuse won't claim it as hers alone instead of shared before I return.

I'm jumping on the electric bandwagon, but from a somewhat different direction with this arch-top Gibson ES-350 look-alike.

archtop style.jpg

Great looking electrics! The Pono really looks good in satin. BTW, very cool on sharing it.

What's the long-term verdict on these from Macmuse, Aquadan and DocJ?

What's the long-term verdict on these from Macmuse, Aquadan and DocJ?

I'm playing mostly concert and soprano lately so haven't picked it up much in the past few months. However, Macmuse is bringing it in to work with her recently, so when I stop by her office at the end of the day I often pick it up to play for a bit. One of our reasons for buying it was to have a quiet instrument to play in the office and it works great for that purpose. I'm embarrassed to admit I've played it much more often unplugged than plugged in. Given how we use it, it was probably an extravagant purchase, but I'm glad we have it.

I find it to be the easiest playing instrument of all our tenors. Whether that's due to the radius fretboard or just the general quality of the instrument I'm not sure. I do like the thinner neck. My Pono MT neck feels huge now.

I'm starting to play some songs that will be better on a tenor so we may have to tussle over who gets to use it.

Top Bottom