Anyone got a Favilla?

Captain America

Reaction score
I'm curious about this brand. Would be interesting to know how they sound.

No, but I'll take one!

I've got a Favilla soprano, which is probably from the 1950s. It sounds like a very nicely made, mature-mahogany uke. Sometimes they're called the "poor man's Martin." Mine has finish wear and a well-repaired crack on the front, and it's perfect for travel, outdoor play, and lending to a friend when you want to jam.

Are you looking to buy one?

Last edited:
I have a 1940's soprano Favilla, love it to bits. It's light as a feather, resonant, loud, woody, stays in tune, and cost a fraction of a vintage Martin. These come up on Ebay (where I got mine) quite often, so go for it if you see one in good condition. Mine needed a hairline crack repair (cost me a whopping $10) and I cleaned & lubed the tuners myself with no problems. The later ones (50s-60s) look especially nice-the stain they used on the mahogany looks lighter than the older instruments, and the fretboard extension has a more pronounced V-shape. I'd guess they sound good too.

My soprano is circa 40s and is missing it's 12th fret but it is a honey. Very nice tone.

I'm curious about this brand. Would be interesting to know how they sound.

the first baritone uke i ever played was a vintage 50's favilla it was my friends it was awesome.
I always kept asking him if he was ever going to sell it but he never did.
I def want to pick up a vintage one of ebay when i have the spare cash def 'a poor mans martin' is totally right.

i've got a teardrop Favilla. its all beat up. but is the sweetest little uke. fantastic sound to it, very east to play too

I have a very early '50's, according to Tom Favilla, baritone. It's dark quater sawn Honduran Mahogany with a deep smokey, bluesy sound to it. Someone previously put steel strings on the 4th and first, liftin the neck a little. The saddle was glued in and filed down to the wood.

I'm deciding now whether to have it restored or sell it. Kind of leaning towards restoration as it has such a wonderful look and sound. It'll probably cost more than it''s worth but ....

I have a very early '50's, according to Tom Favilla, baritone. It's dark quater sawn Honduran Mahogany with a deep smokey, bluesy sound to it. Someone previously put steel strings on the 4th and first, liftin the neck a little. The saddle was glued in and filed down to the wood.

I'm deciding now whether to have it restored or sell it. Kind of leaning towards restoration as it has such a wonderful look and sound. It'll probably cost more than it''s worth but ....

thank you for the written uke p*** ;)
This is exactly the baritone i want prob very similar to the one my friend had and it played like a dream. I hate when people put steel strings on ukes only meant for nylon, i really dont understand (if its not electric) why someone would want to put steel strings on a uke in the first place.

I have a 40's Favilla Soprano, a 30's mahogany Teardrop, and a circa 1910 Marca Aquila, which was made by the Favilla family. They used this name before they used "Favilla". They are wonderful instruments. Time to put to rest the saying that these are "a poor man's Martin". Martin ukes were not that expensive when new, and Favilla stands on their own. I play my Favilla ukes far more than I play my Martin.

Here is a review I did of my Marca Aquila, which pre-dates Martin ukes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ztxolKVO5U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzjTtZZ3_UAZlTJdY9JFoFw
The sound of this ukulele is unlike the sound of my later Favilla ukes.

My Teardrop and regular soprano are great and if you want a wonderful vintage uke, I highly recommend Favilla!

. They are wonderful instruments. Time to put to rest the saying that these are "a poor man's Martin". Martin ukes were not that expensive when new, and Favilla stands on their own. I play my Favilla ukes far more than I play my Martin.
My Teardrop and regular soprano are great and if you want a wonderful vintage uke, I highly recommend Favilla![/QUOTE]

That they were of comparable price when they were made is true. Favilla did not go for anything other than mahogany or maple. The concept of "Poor Man's Martin" is however valid for today's ukulele player with a limited income to discretionary spending ratio. Their value has become recognized, and their price has risen accordingly. Martins continue to be over rated and overpriced when compared to a Favilla of comparable build.

Another "sleeper" is a Gretsch American.

I have a 50's Favilla Soprano. Good Uke but I needed something bigger so bought Tenor size.
I would be interested in selling the Soprano for a couple hundred, has a well repaired crack but otherwise very nice!

Anyone heard of the Favilla Wimbrola? It looks like a pineapple shape mated with a stop sign? I hear they are not very common in the smaller four string version. Favilla was making them for John Wimbro for awhile. When he couldn't pay for them, they badged what they had as Favilla and called it the Wimbrola. Anyone know a date on these things? They, like the tear drops are made of maple.

Anyone heard of the Favilla Wimbrola? It looks like a pineapple shape mated with a stop sign? I hear they are not very common in the smaller four string version. Favilla was making them for John Wimbro for awhile. When he couldn't pay for them, they badged what they had as Favilla and called it the Wimbrola. Anyone know a date on these things? They, like the tear drops are made of maple.

Wimbrola's are an oddball. Strung in courses, but the string spacing evens out at the bridge so they are strange to play as you move up the neck.

I believe the Painted teardops ukuleles from Favilla were made of birch, but the higher end teardrops were made of mahogany, as were the Wimbrolas. My mahogany teardrop is wonderful.

I have an old (sound hole has label branded in rather than a piece of paper) Favilla Baritone and I absolutely love it. Huge, rich, luscious tone. Great for low D picking etc.

They are wonderful and stand on their own Merit for sure. I come across then fairly often when buying vintage instruments

Top Bottom