Harmonics

Jools1050

Reaction score
Hi Peeps, I'm learning Music Box by Jake Shimabukuro at the moment. I've got to the part where you do the harmonics but it's proving troublesome !
I'm not sure my Kala Bocote tenor is capable of producing harmonics at the 5th fret. There's a lovely harmonic at the 12th and a reasonable harmonic at the 7th but things kinda fizzle out at the 5th.
Does anyone play the same model Uke that can prove me wrong, or can anybody else help?
Thanks

New strings will work wonders if you're playing a worn out set. Pick closer to the bridge and play around with your fretting hand positioning. It's a "5th fret harmonic," but it isn't exactly on the 5th fret - it is a wee tad above. Just make sure you get your fingers away from the string as fast as possible after sounding the chime.

It can make a huge difference where you pick the string -you have to pick between the nodes, if that makes sense. Try picking around 10th fret for a 5th fret harmonic. That said, harmonics are tricky on a short scaled instrument.

In addition to where, how you pick will make a big difference. Sometimes the flesh part of my thumb can pull a clean harmonic, sometimes I need the nail of my index or pointer finger.

Top Bottom