Humidifier - dumb question

bbycrts

Reaction score
Okay, this is probably as basic as basic can be:

I have two ukes - a Pono PSO and Pono PT8. Love them both. Have humidifiers - do I put them in the case with the uke, or do I put them inside the little compartment in the case? Will the humidifier do its job if its in the little compartment? When MGM sent me the PSO the humidifier was in the little compartment, but I also take that as a safer place to put it during shipping...

I think I'm over thinking this...

Thanks!

Is a humidifier really necessary? I live in Pennsylvania and it's not overly dry, but not high humidity like Florida, either.

Is a humidifier really necessary? I live in Pennsylvania and it's not overly dry, but not high humidity like Florida, either.

it all depends on your uke's wood!

Martin (who also makes ukes) recommends keeping their instruments humidified between 45% and 55%. This is easy in the summer, but in the winter when you turn on your heat, the humidity level in in your HOUSE drops WAY down. I'd recommend going to your hardware store and buying a humidimeter (under $10 if you get a basic one). You'll be surprised how dry your place is.

I look at it this way. I've put a lot of hard-earned cash into my guitar/ukes. I've also put a lot of time into setting them up properly. Keeping a humidifier (with built in humidistat to save on power usage) running thought the winter will insure they last and are easily playable. A small price to pay.

A quick cautionary tale. I left my travel guitar at work (so I could play during lunch). I came back from Thanksgiving holiday to an unplayable guitar... the high strings hitting the frets. Think "Sponge Bob when he gets dried out ;-)

I think in Hawaii I'm good without humidifying. But I have humidifiers from when I go on trips. So as to not wast them, I keep it inside the little compartment in my case. I have hard cases for my nicer ukes, so it has a compartment inside. If you're running a gig bag, then IDK where you'd put it.

I'd recommend going to your hardware store and buying a humidimeter (under $10 if you get a basic one). You'll be surprised how dry your place is.

A quick cautionary tale. I left my travel guitar at work (so I could play during lunch). I came back from Thanksgiving holiday to an unplayable guitar... the high strings hitting the frets. Think "Sponge Bob when he gets dried out ;-)

Yes get a Humidimeter. I used to fret over the humidity and the ukes until I saw where I live it never gets under 55% even with the heater running in the winter. (I live in a swamp). What a Dumbass I was, I used to run the humidifier in the winter. Where I live you can tell what season it is by the color of the mold on the back porch. Brown winter, yellow spring, deep green summer, light green fall, hey who says we don't have the change of season down south!!

Top Bottom