eiphone les paul uke no pick guard now?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I keep seeing photos now of people selling les paul ukes with no pick guard is it possible the current models dont have them on them anymore? i know the first models only had one strap peg which sucks, i was lucky enough to get one with both pegs hurray! just wondering whats the deal with the pick guard i like it on mine but it also looks sweet with out it. I a bit to scared to remove mine but i would not be upset to buy a newer one with out it.

I keep seeing photos now of people selling les paul ukes with no pick guard is it possible the current models dont have them on them anymore? i know the first models only had one strap peg which sucks, i was lucky enough to get one with both pegs hurray! just wondering whats the deal with the pick guard i like it on mine but it also looks sweet with out it. I a bit to scared to remove mine but i would not be upset to buy a newer one with out it.
There is a whole thread about the Les Paul and if I remember correctly a lot of info in there about removing te pick guard, I don't think Epiphone sells them without. It's this thread I am talking about:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Got-an-Epiphone-Les-Paul&highlight=Pick+guard

I keep wondering how a thin black/white tri ply pick guard would look on it.

Does this help Phil?

Les Paul.jpeg
LesPaul blk.jpg

I keep seeing photos now of people selling les paul ukes with no pick guard is it possible the current models dont have them on them anymore?

I can only say from my one experience that ours came with no pick guard. It WAS pictured with one at the online vendor I purchased from. Took me by surprise when it arrived without it. But, as I noted in our NUD post... I'm quite happy without it because I intended to use one of the suggested methods to remove it (looked too big and too white and NOT like the guitars). ;)

Without the other controls and such it looked "tacked on" to me for the uke as opposed to part of the whole look, feel and function for the guitars.

I can only say from my one experience that ours came with no pick guard. It WAS pictured with one at the online vendor I purchased from. Took me by surprise when it arrived without it. But, as I noted in our NUD post... I'm quite happy without it because I intended to use one of the suggested methods to remove it (looked too big and too white and NOT like the guitars). ;)

Without the other controls and such it looked "tacked on" to me for the uke as opposed to part of the whole look, feel and function for the guitars.

I dont mind the pick guard on mine but personally i agree its way to big in proportion
to the body size. I think it looks better with out it, being it has no knobs etc
i think the shape was all the should have focused on not adding a pick guard plus
ukes don't need pick guards we play with our fingers (some with felt picks
but thats not gonna damage a body like plastic).

I would not mind taking mine off, but honestly i dont trust myself
even with the proper written info on how to do it, im not very handy
and dont want to risk breaking it.

Funny thing..I've probably owned more Gibson Les Pauls over the past 30 years than the entire UU membership owns Ukuleles (this is, quite obviously, a lie. I've had a LOT though), and the first thing I've always done is remove the pickguard. I just prefer the look of the carved top without one.

Funny thing..I've probably owned more Gibson Les Pauls over the past 30 years than the entire UU membership owns Ukuleles (this is, quite obviously, a lie. I've had a LOT though), and the first thing I've always done is remove the pickguard. I just prefer the look of the carved top without one.

I think it looks better on a guitar, not as good on a uke.
I have to say i would not mind having mine removed
but i really dont want to break it, knowing me some how
in the process id prob rip a whole in the wood or something or damage it.

It's not attached with a hard bond glue. It - well mine anyway - was attached with a soft bond rubber glue.
It couldn't have been easier to remove.

I lifted the corner - and shoved an actual uke string in there.
Then I sort of sawed back and forth with the string while pulling it through, periodically pulling up on the pickguard as I did this.
It came off with no issue.
After that, it was just a simple matter of rubbing out any remaining rubber glue. I used Goo Be Gone for that.

Looks absolutely fantastic with that piece of plastic off of it. IMHO. :)

It's not attached with a hard bond glue. It - well mine anyway - was attached with a soft bond rubber glue.
It couldn't have been easier to remove.

I lifted the corner - and shoved an actual uke string in there.
Then I sort of sawed back and forth with the string while pulling it through, periodically pulling up on the pickguard as I did this.
It came off with no issue.
After that, it was just a simple matter of rubbing out any remaining rubber glue. I used Goo Be Gone for that.

Looks absolutely fantastic with that piece of plastic off of it. IMHO. :)

I'll look into it, still a bit nervous on destroying the uke it really is a great mahogany solid concert uke. I really never plug mine in ironically its mostly my go to acoustic. I got my steel string uke to plug in but the pick up is handy for add volume.

Top Bottom