New Lanikai LM T (Mahogany Tenor) Review

Dobrodoc

Reaction score
i just purchased a Lanikai LM T, which is all solid mahogany with rosewood fingerboard. It's made in Indonesia and has pretty nice tone.
I got it on ebay from a company called Butler Music that sell Lanikai "Blems" or models with cosmetic blemishes. This one has a few scratches on the side of the neck but is otherwise near perfect. For 92 dollars, it is an excellent instrument. Action is great, no buzzes up and down the neck. Frets could use some polishing on the edges, otherwise it's pretty nice. Anybody else try the blems?photo (11).jpg
Not sure there is a way to get an all solid wood instrument that is playable this cheap anywhere else.

Hi Dobrodoc,

I too have an LM-T I bought back in May when they briefly went on sale. I like the looks and tone. I believe the solid wood makes a difference in tone, and I really like the ax. Mine came with an ill-fitted nut which discovered too late to return and which Lanakai/Hohner will not replace under warranty. I haven't decided whether to live with it or take it to a luthier to fix. It's my fault for not reacting sooner to the defect, I know. Even so, QC issues aside, I like this instrument, and agree there's no better solid wood value out there.

Joe

lanikai LMT

Joe:
What do you mean by ill fitted nut? Do the strings bind in the grooves or they are cut in wrong place? I bought a bone saddle and nut blank combination on ebay for about 8 dollars and re cut the slots myself for another uke I have. Seemed to work out ok but really should have nut files but they are really expensive.
The sound is much better than a laminate instrument for sure.

Top Bottom