best strings for baritone in standard tuning?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I just got an acoustic baritone (rogue ru20 beater im trying to pick up a vintage baritone soon maybe harmony, or favilla although those are hard to find so prob harmony).

Anyway i was thinking of putting aquila red series on the baritone to make it sound better. Does anyone have any suggestions of good strings that will add life to a cheaper baritone uke? also links to where to buy them and reviews would be helpful. thanks all.

Ihad Ko'alau golds that were OK but just switched to Worth Browns on my $60 cheapo baritone. I like the Brown sound.

I liked the Living Water low D on my Lanikai. Order direct from Ken Middleton.

I just got an acoustic baritone (rogue ru20 beater im trying to pick up a vintage baritone soon maybe harmony, or favilla although those are hard to find so prob harmony).
There is a Favilla baritone in the market right now!

I play Living Water High D on my Lanikai, and Martin Linears on my Giannini. I like 'em both.

I've got Martins on my vintage Kingstone Barry.

about the south coast baritone strings, i know he posts here sometimes maybe you guys or him himself (dirk i think it is)
can shed light on this for me. What are some of the different types of south coast strings (how many different sets for different tunings and
which tunings) i also read or maybe misread they make special all steel sets for bari ukes? please would like some info they seem like
more innovative strings (not to say aquila isn't also cos they are). thanks!

about the south coast baritone strings, i know he posts here sometimes maybe you guys or him himself (dirk i think it is)
can shed light on this for me. What are some of the different types of south coast strings (how many different sets for different tunings and
which tunings) i also read or maybe misread they make special all steel sets for bari ukes? please would like some info they seem like
more innovative strings (not to say aquila isn't also cos they are). thanks!

can anyone tell me about the cuatro tuning sets?
i had a peurto rican cuatro for a bit and its tuned
differently the Venezuelan cuatro (which i think is the type
their referring to) how is that in relationship to sound and chording?
may be interesting to try if the tuning is basically the same, is it?

can anyone tell me about the cuatro tuning sets?
i had a peurto rican cuatro for a bit and its tuned
differently the Venezuelan cuatro (which i think is the type
their referring to) how is that in relationship to sound and chording?
may be interesting to try if the tuning is basically the same, is it?

as far as i can see they don't make sets for standard dgbe baritone tuning
which kind of blows, but this cuatro style seems interesting enough...

as far as i can see they don't make sets for standard dgbe baritone tuning
which kind of blows, but this cuatro style seems interesting enough...

if the cuatro strings will work on a baritone i think im going to try them out ...can anyone help
i listened to sound bites of it on a baritone on the site and its PERFECT!

I buy D'addario J27 or Augustine Red classical guitar strings, which I buy in lots of 10 from my local music shop because I use them on several instruments, and they are much cheaper in lots of 10. I have tried several types of "ukulele" strings, but they are hard to get in a reasonable timeframe and they cost more.

I have done something similar. I have found that classical sets sized for 1/2 size classical guitars work very well in baritone tuning -
on both baritone and tenor ukes. YMMV. :cool:

It's a tone and feel I like very much.

If you're interested in Southcoast strings just contact Dirk through the Southcoast website. I've heard that he's responsive, but he may not see your questions posted in this thread.

For Southcoast if you want DGBE you can use their Linear Heavy Gauge Round Wound. Just be warned that the 3rd string is not polished like the 4th so that string will squeak a lot and the other won't at all. I found it too annoying after a week (sound was beautiful otherwise) so I switched back to Living Water Low D.

If one were to get a set of 1/2 size classical stings, what strings go where?

Top Bottom