Season 97 of the Ukulele- Lost in Mexico

electrauke

Reaction score
Hello everyone, and welcome to the 97th Season of the Ukulele! I am really exited to be hosting another Season and hope you all enjoy it! As I write this, I am South of the border in Mexico, where I will be spending Christmas with my Mom's side of the family. So let's get to it:

THEME: Songs the mention Mexico!

RULES:

*The song you pick must mention either Mexico (New Mexico is unacceptable), Mexican geography, or things that are closely related to Mexico.
*Mention somewhere in the video that it is for the 97th Season
*All Entries must be a new video
*A ukulele must be the main instrument
*Multi-tracking is okay, but not my preference
*Please only two entries per person
*Extra points for Spanish lyrics
*Extra points for use of any Mariachi type instrument (This is when multi-tracking is okay)
*Extra points for the appearance of Mexican items

BONUS TRACKS:

*You may post as many Bonus Tracks as you so desire, but please make them fit the theme.
*Bonus Tracks may be old videos

JUDGING:

Judging will be done by my family and I. We will award a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for entries, and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Bonus Tracks

PRIZES:

Not sure exactly what the prizes will be, but since I am here in Mexico I will definitely get something from around here. 1st and 2nd place for entries will receive some sort of prize but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Bonus Tracks will not.

Entry Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywtrmYspkxw&list=PL3uMSbjawED03I_pxGVCYpaUZ4F65Ph-d

Bonus Playlist:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBqRPj_yttY&list=PL3uMSbjawED2cN4wHp189HECRa8XOba6G

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Alright guys, I will check in whenever I can, a week on the beach, in the warm Sun, playing the uke can be stressful :)

Merry Christmas,
Andre

Last edited:
¡buen viaje!
Feliz Navidad!
And a question- can the mention be one of the 31 federal states (Baja California, Oaxaca, Durango, Hidalgo etc.)? Or a specific city or place in Mexico (Tijuana, Acapulco, etc.)? Or does it need to specifically be "Mexico"? And do songs with mentions of "New Mexico" count?

Last edited:
Another point of clarification: does the word "Mexican" count?

Here's a song by a Mexican singer I did back in Season 27.

I'm setting the over/under at 6 for Wall of Voodoo covers. One suggestion for anyone who wants it: "From Milan to Yucatan, every woman, every man, HIT ME WITH YOUR RHYTHM STICK!"

As long as we're posting Spanish ukulele songs, here's a Latin American Christmas song I recorded a couple years back. The mouthy Mexican-sounding soprano in the introduction was my first ukulele, Wanguruwe. He's since been donated to a Seattle school via contacts I made here on UU.

Pulled my vid as I'm not sure what's going on.
I hadn't realised that the host had asked us to post stuff we'd done years ago or for season 27 ????

OK.
Here's what I did. I read the host's introductory post. He said he wants songs that mention Mexico.
Pretty straight forward - so I did a google search and found some real good ones.
As this Steve Miller Band song is a regular 3 chord blues pattern I chose to do it despite never having heard it before. So I spent some time getting familiar with it and then recorded it today especially for this season.

There are some other songs that I liked as well but I'll wait to see what the host says about bonus tracks before posting anything else.

Repeating the Bird's Eye camera angle as my regular video camera remains in the shop (I originally tried recording it from a worm's eye view, but that didn't work)... This song was written in 1939 for a movie of the same name and has been recorded by half a dozen artists you've heard of. Gene Autry. Patsy Cline. Most famously by Frank. South of the Border.

If you really examine the lyrics in this song, they're kind of intriguing. American guy goes to Mexico, scores with a Latin chick, realizes that there's no way they can be together (why not?) and lies to her to get laid one last time. Sort of a tale of American men acting badly south of the border...

Then again, the lady in the story might have been a ladyboy mariposa , as the singer admits that they were so gay.

Pulled my vid as I'm not sure what's going on.
I hadn't realised that the host had asked us to post stuff we'd done years ago or for season 27 ????

First page pass applies. It's an adjunct to the snarky, passive aggressive, quadruple question mark rule.

Great theme. I hope you have a nice warm Christmas vacation. Be safe. This week will be so crazy busy that I new I needed to bow out for the week or do a one take simple deal here for you. Don't know where it will end up as your rules haven't been clarified yet but I thought I would give you this festive little traditional to Mexico.
The Mexican Hat Dance~

Last edited:
First page pass applies. It's an adjunct to the snarky, passive aggressive, quadruple question mark rule.
Hey you guys- play nice! It's the Seasons and we're all friends here- ukeing and sharing and having fun.

I was reflecting just the other day how our weekly Seasons have fallen into a rhythm all their own.
The new theme is announced and while we're all waiting for Sunday so we can begin posting our entries we start bantering, posting old vids that fit the Season (either our own or others that are perfect for the theme) and asking questions if we have them. Then Sunday comes and those folks in earlier time zones start posting and we're off. Each Season has its own flavor. Sometimes there's off topic things that get discussed. Sometimes someone's video sparks discussion or inspires us to learn a new song we hadn't thought about in years. There's lots of videos to watch and fun back and forth banter. Then the weekend comes with a flurry of last minute entries for the current Season and the announcement of the new theme for the next week (along with bantering, posting of old vids and questions). And it starts all over again.
Viva la Seasons!

Last edited:
ok, i hope this counts! it doesn't say mexico, but it does say the rio grande...

i'm hoping to qualify on geography, if not on language!

if it doesn't count, then please let it be a "just for fun" thing

a "lynda just HAD to do a duran duran song" kinda thing

(you know what it's like...)

I LOVE it when a season pops up and you have had a song brewing for EVER that fits perfectly. When I was little, I saw Easy Rider and kind of fell in love. I wanted a motorcycle so bad...forever.
As luck would have it, I got a Vespa. My first car. I rode on it when I was 9 and told the guy that owned it I would be back to buy it. Did just that when I was 14, but something was missing. I put thousands and thousands of miles on it (no one had ever seen one with that many) and loved it so much I have two more now, but it is hard to be Captain America on a Vespa.
Got my first Harley Something like 14 years ago, my wife finally gave in and let me have one. The new one is now 9 years old and every time I get on it, my head is clear afterwords. I think that is why she let me have it...it is therapy. In any event- I have always loved this record and wanted to play a bit of it for you. My do I love the Byrds. Wish I could play like they do, but this plays in my head when I get on the bike. Like a sound track for winding roads and not having a care in the world.
My nights have been lonely, since I been in Tulsa county....
Yep- please, get your ukes and sing-a-long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom