2014 New Years Uke Resolutions (goals) ?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hey, it's getting close to the end of 2013. Time to think about the new year, fresh starts, and setting some uke resolutions (goals) for 2014. While I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, goals are good.

What are your uke goals in 2014?

Here's my 2014 uke resolutions (make that 2014 uke goals):

1. I definitely want to be a better finger-style player. So, I resolve to get through at least 2 of the finger-style books I already own. (I won't list all the finger-style books I have tried and didn't get very far, it's too embarrassing.) :eek:

2. I will definitely build that CBU and the Stew-Mac kit this year, after I get my wood working area together. I did realize that Habor Freight work tables came in so many pieces. :D

3. While I would like to say that I won't buy any ukes in 2014, that probably won't happen. So, instead, I will end 2014 with less ukes than I ended up with 2013. Not that I don't like all my ukes, but maybe if I concentrate on playing fewer ukes, then maybe I will be a better player.

Legal disclaimer: All 2014 resolutions are subject to change. :rulez:

I look back on past failed resolutions - to learn one John King arrangement a month (ha!), to not rely on sheet music so much (double ha!) and feel like a total loser, so I'm gonna make it easy on myself and make my 2014 uke resolution simply this: to just play. A lot.

I think that's actually one I can keep! :)

I resolve, as pretty much always, not to make resolutions... :)

John

My 2014 resolution is to only buy one new ukulele this year. Oh, with that said, I have yet to keep a resolution. :)

Doc_J, I'm here for you on your goal #3: just ship a few of those gorgeous tenors to me and mark that one "Done!". ;-)

My goals:

1. Be able to play The Trees by Rush, which my teacher has been arranging for me
2. Learn 5 Beatles songs (working on Here Comes the Sun)
3. Redirect some of my time fueling my UAS and invest that in practicing more

What a great thread. I'm getting a kick out of the contagious UAS going on around this site. I think I'm catching it too.
Since I don't even have a ukulele until Monday (when it's scheduled for delivery), it's hard for me to know how far I can get. But for sure I am going to embark on learning to play ukulele in 2014. I'm counting the minutes until it arrives. In the meantime, I've taken the lower two strings off my requinto (which is already tuned to A) and swapped out the 4th string for one an octave higher, so at least I have an inkling of what I'll be up against! My first goals will be to learn Jake Shimabukoro's arrangement of "Yesterday", and follow along for some strumming fun with Ukulele Mike (Over the Rainbow, etc.) That should keep me busy for a few weeks! ;)

Jamie

Two words - "Crazy G". Another - perfectly.*

*This was my original goal 'before I buy another ukulele...'. - however, Pajaro ended up in my life first. Therefore, the goal stands. Although I won't be buying another ukulele in 2014.

1) I need to sell some of my guitars (way too many) so I can buy more ukes (never enough)

2) buy a vintage Martin

3) See #1

Merry Christmas everyone!

I want to push from intermediate into advanced.

I want to buy an all-solid mahogany concert.

I'll keep an eye out for a good condition Favilla soprano, or consider picking up that Kala long-necked soprano.

I want to put together a large area jam.

That's about it: I just for the most part expect that keeping picking it up will lead to improvement.

Resolutions:

1. Practice violin with my kids every day (we did 40 days in a row before the last virus caught up with us - lets go for 365)

2. Take music lessons myself (but first I need to decide if its going to be trombone, viola, uke or possibly guitar...)

3. Infect as many people as possible with UAS.

1. Work on rhythm and timing.
2. Practice some holiday songs earlier so I can be more useful next Christmas!

1. same as this year just to keep on learning fingerpick tunes and building my repertoire.

2.i thought I was over UAS but thinking there is room for another tenor.

3. wish everyone a fantastic ukulele new year.

My resolution last year was to learn the ukulele. Now it's just to get better. I guess mostly at finger picking.

I started in January so I still have loads to learn.

My goals

1. I've got the basic chords down and now I need to get better at strumming. Add some more variety.

2. Make my way through the UU practice sessions without taking a break.

3. Learn some finger style

4. Pick up some theory so that I can join in with jams that aren't limited to ukukele.

Listen more closely.

Learn the clawhammer technique.

Top Bottom