New Tenor Advice

Timuk

Reaction score
Hi folks

New member here and would like a few opinions if possible.

I am in the market for a Tenor Uke and would like to go for a mid price but solid wood Uke and I reckon have narrowed my choice down to two candidates available on-line shops here in the UK.

The two I have researched are the:
1 Ohana TK-35 Tenor
http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/tenor-ukuleles/Ohana-TK-35-Tenor-Ukulele.htm
and
2 Mainland Classic Mahogony Tenor http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/tenor-ukuleles/classic-mahog-ten.htm

Both are for sale in the UK for £220.

Unfortunately I can find neither in my home town so its going to be an internet purchase I am afraid.

Any thoughts or experiences with either instrument?

Many thanks

Tim

I've not played either, but it's my understanding that both are made in the same factory. These two brands are thought of pretty highly by the community. Probably more import than which model is whether or not this store does a good setup.

Perhaps some of our friends from the UK will chime in with advice...

Either would be suitable - I'm kind of partial to Mainlands myself partly because the owner of Mainland ukes is so active and supporting (among other things he hosts UWC each year and he participates on these forums). Also, I think that Mike and Tookta set up everything that comes through the shop, even if it's going out wholesale to a store (I'm not absolutely sure on this, though, I only know for certain that they set up ukes sold directly). Ohana ukes do have a reputation for being set up better than some other lines, though and every one of them that I've played has been decent, though I've never purchased one so I can't say if they came that way or were set up by a retailer or the owner.

So, it's back to that "either would be suitable," thing. Happy to be of such great help... :)

John

They are literally first cousins. Southernukuleles will get you squared away with a properly setup one. As you know, Ken Middleton is the European Ohana rep and has demoed most of them on YouTube. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses

Didn't realize that both the Ukes I mentioned were built in the same factory!

SouthernUkeleles unfortunately do not seem to stock either the Mainland or the Ohana Uke's I described.

Thanks again

Hi Timuk in the past I have purchased two ukes from eagle music and seven from SUS, both are good stores, Eagle show ukes on the website but often don't carry stock, where as what you see on the SUS site is in stock, they also have a quite a selection of different brands, all I can add is SUS have looked after me first class,
and they are all ukulele players.
All the best.

I purchased my Mainland directly from Mike at Mainland and I couldn't be happier. Of course, I have heard great things about Ohana, as well. Good luck on your next uke.

Hi, I purchased Ohana TK-35G from Mim. It's really great uke for the money, and Mim did great job in setup.
Just change the string to d'addario and it sounds beautiful now! Mellow and warm.
And I truly believe Mainland is a great uke as well because of all the positive reviews here. Good luck and keep us posted :D

Top Bottom