Fretboard Roadmaps Ukulele Group

JamieWG

Reaction score
I'm going to start working through the book Fretboard Roadmaps. I see there is already a Group formed here to work through the book: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/group.php?groupid=156
The group was started a couple of years ago and now seems inactive, but if anybody wants to join me on this venture, it'd be nice to have the company there! My copy arrives Tuesday, and I'm content to wait until the first of the year to start plowing my way through it.

Note that some of the Amazon reviews for this book say that it's not a good choice without some prior musical background: "Probably a good book for an advanced musician and player but hardly one to be recommended, as it was in other reviews, to a beginning player that doesn't know how to read music and is just starting to play....."
So, we've all been warned! Anybody else up for the challenge?

Edit: A new 2014 Fretboard Roadmaps Group has been started, instead of using the old group. We'd be happy to have you join us! You can find the new group at this link.

Jamie

Last edited:
I'm game! Got the book already and have toyed with it in a non-structured way; I know the structure will be good for me! :)

Signed up!
Just what I need to get impetus to learn more and move away from the first three frets!

Do you think it would be worth starting a new group? That way we would not have confusion over what the previous group did. The old group could be used for reference as I see there are some nice lesson notes posted up that may be useful.
Also, open a thread for each chapter of the book to get structure to the posts ahead of the posts starting?
H

Last edited:
Signed up!
Just what I need to get impetus to learn more and move away from the first three frets!

Do you think it would be worth starting a new group? That way we would not have confusion over what the previous group did. The old group could be used for reference as I see there are some nice lesson notes posted up that may be useful.
Also, open a thread for each chapter of the book to get structure to the posts ahead of the posts starting?
H

H, would you be willing to start up the new group and set up those posts? Since I'm a newbie here, I'd be a lot more comfortable with somebody else running the show who's been around a bit longer! (Though I figured I could handle just jumping into that old thread!) I really like your ideas for structuring the group, and I think it would be very helpful to do it the way you suggest.

I'm so happy that a bunch of people have suddenly decided to join up! I looked through the book for the first time a couple of days ago, and at least got all the CD tracks loaded onto my laptop. I can see that it's going to be a lot of work and a long haul, so I plan to do the Slow and Steady Wins the Race approach. There is a lot of memorization involved, and I think I'll find it most effective to fully complete each chapter before going on to the next. Since we'll obviously work at different rates, the separate chapter threads will enable us to organize our thoughts on the book.

Jamie

Jamie,
Not a problem. I may have been here a little longer than you but...

Anyway, I'll set the group up as 'Fretboard Roadmaps, 2014' A descriptive title for those looking for it, and the year to differentiate from the earlier group.
It may make it easier for us if we remove ourselves from the original group so we don't get confused.
I'll post again when the new group is set up and ready to go, that should be tomorrow sometime.
H

Not that I'm aware of, but Amazon shows a used copy ar $2.29

OK guys, the new group is set up.
Currently, threads are in order, but that will change as people start to post.
I have added an introduction thread and a read me thread. I will bump these to the top.
Right, let's get going!
H

I try to follow the link to the group and it tells me I don't have permission to do so. How do I get that fixed?

Nessa, that happened to me initially too. I think you need a certain number of posts to be able to join a group. Perhaps one of the site moderators could tell you. I went around the site and added posts to a few threads until I was able to join a group!

Jamie

Nessa,
When you get to the bit that says you don't have permission, are you still logged in?
I found the system sometimes logged me out going from the forum to groups.

Just tried to post this and I have just had the you don't have permissions, but it shows I'm logged in at the top of the page.
H

Refreshed page and logged in again sorted it.

Nessa, that happened to me initially too. I think you need a certain number of posts to be able to join a group. Perhaps one of the site moderators could tell you. I went around the site and added posts to a few threads until I was able to join a group!

Jamie

That's what I was thinking that I need a few more posts.

Mind if join the new group? I have the book, but have not yet started studying it. Sounds like fun. :)

I'll join. Just need the book. One is on it's way. Like I used to tell my big brother, "Slow down and catch up to me."

Top Bottom