I know we would be good friends...

ukuleletim

Reaction score
Recently I have had a bout with mortality. It got me to thinking about many things, one of which is the passing of John King.

John King died a few months after I started playing ukulele, right after I discovered his genius and love for the instrument. I still feel that loss today.

I have humbly strived to keep his philosophy of campanela (campanella) technique for the ukulele alive, to uncover, discover and share his secrets.

Going out on a limb, I think he would have been a good friend of mine.

And I miss him.

Great thread Tim. It's wonderful that John's music and thoughts are still with us.

His website is still running: http://nalu-music.com/
Thank goodness.

It wouldn't be the holiday season without John's arrangement and playing of the Carol of the Bells.

Last edited:
Tim, I'm new to the ukulele, so thank you for bringing John King's work to my attention. And DocJ, thank you for posting the video. What a nice and well-played rendition!

WOW! Never even heard of the guy. What a talent. I can see why he is missed.

I guess I take it for granted that everyone would know about him. This video of him and James HIll (you know about James Hill, right?) really turned me on. Al Woods (Ukulele Hunt) tabbed Larry O'Gaff and I later tabbed Swallowtail Jig.

And this would be my version of their performance. I rearranged James Hill's part for my friend Jim (on the right) to play in more of a John King style as opposed James' monostrum. It is very challenging but also very satisfying to play.

Recently I have had a bout with mortality. It got me to thinking about many things, one of which is the passing of John King.

John King died a few months after I started playing ukulele, right after I discovered his genius and love for the instrument. I still feel that loss today.

I have humbly strived to keep his philosophy of campanela (campanella) technique for the ukulele alive, to uncover, discover and share his secrets.

Going out on a limb, I think he would have been a good friend of mine.

And I miss him.

Wow. I've been thinking about John King *all day* today, in fact was listening to one of his recordings when I popped into UU just now to see what was going on. Similar story here too - he passed away the same year I started playing, just a few months before I learned of him. At the time I was fighting my own battle with mortality (resolved, for the foreseeable future, and I hope yours is as well!) and the beauty that he left behind was an inspiration for me to keep up the fight.

I guess I take it for granted that everyone would know about him.

Everyone who plays ukulele *should* know about him, that's for certain! I'm constantly amazed that most times when I meet another ukulele player for the first time (hey, I live somewhere where there are a lot of ukulele players) and they find out that I play instrumental solos, the dialog is usually something like this: "Oh you mean like Jake?" "Not exactly. More like John King, at least hopefully someday." "Oh. Who's that?"

John King is a great hero of mine too Tim. One of the very great players and arrangers, taken way too soon. Know also that your own playing is every bit as inspirational to many of us mate. Wishing you better health and a great 2014 to yourself and your family.

I started playing a year after John's passing. He was one of the first players who caught my interest. Joel Eckhaus turned me on to John King. Still one of my favorites, the Segovia of the ukulele in that both opened the classical possibilities for instruments that were largely thought of as folk instruments. He was a great scholar as well.

Certainly, his influence will endure.

So glad you posted this as I had not come across his work before. He is amazing and I'm thankful it has been immortalized in some videos. Carol of the Bells is incredible.

I too started playing the year that John passed. He, along with others, opened my eyes to the amazing possibilities of this wonderful instrument. I can play only one of his arrangements, the beautiful "Hene". I don't play it well, but it is one connection to him that I will always have.

I guess I take it for granted that everyone would know about him. This video of him and James HIll (you know about James Hill, right?) really turned me on. Al Woods (Ukulele Hunt) tabbed Larry O'Gaff and I later tabbed Swallowtail Jig.

Tim - I had never heard him or of him until this thread. Wow! Thanks so much for the introduction.

Wow. I am honored to introduce newer players to John King. And equally honored to be associated with those who already know and admire him. Happy Holidays to you all and may beautiful music flow.

I love John King. I just received "Famous Solos and Duets" and "The Classical Ukulele" today. Talk about excellent arrangements. I have been playing John's arrangement of Carol of the Bells for a month now. He is one of the best ukulele players and arrangers I have come across.

Top Bottom