My Uke Arrived!

JamieWG

Reaction score
I am so excited that I just had to share the joy! My Cordoba 20CM arrived this afternoon --- my first uke and a Xmas gift from Hubby. By the time I had to stop to make dinner (and let me tell you, it wasn't easy to stop to make dinner), I'd learned Jake Shimabukuru's arrangement of Yesterday, played through a dozen or so songs from the book The Daily Ukulele, and spent some YouTube time with Ukulele Mike playing Over the Rainbow and some blues. This is ever so much more fun than I thought it would be. Now I can understand the addiction that so many here have experienced.

I'm not ready to do a full-fledged review of the Cordoba 20CM yet. For now, suffice it to say that it exceeds my expectations. It is very cleanly put together and solid, the action is set up almost perfectly, and the sound is fuller than I thought it would be for an instrument in this price range and size. That being said, I don't like the strings that are on it. (Did somebody say it comes strung with Aquila strings?) So I'll change those out tomorrow with an assortment of D'Addarios to see if I can get improved warmth and sustain, and less "pop", and I'll put up a review once I've had a few days with it.

I also love this book, The Daily Ukulele. It's got a fabulous selection of tunes. I especially like that it only has the chord charts at the top of the page for each song. That way, you need to remember the chord names and forms as you read through the pieces, rather than just reading the charts by rote. But if you forget something, you only need to look up to the top of the page to find it. Going through a bunch of these tunes a day will help my guitar-->uke transition immensely.

Many thanks to those of you who took the time to reassure me that my guitar-playing would come in handy in switching over. I can see that it's going to take awhile to wrap my head around the transposition issue, but it's much easier on my hands. It's going to be tough going back to playing guitar! (And yeah, I'm already thinking about a nice tenor.... ;) )

Jamie

Your life, as you know it, has just changed.
Congratulations.

Congratulations on the new uke and also on your enthusiasm.
Happy Strumming.....

Spoken in a dark creepy voice "Welcome....there's always room for another."

Enjoy the heck out of your new ukulele! May it give you as much joy as do mine!

Aloha Jaime..
Welcome to the UU forums and concrats on your new passion and cordoba....keep it up and happy strummings.. btw you have a super hubbie as well :)

Seems like Santa delivered some talent, too. Wish I could learn stuff that fast! Welcome to your new addiction! I cannot imagine how bad mine would be if I had an ounce of that sort of talent!

...my first uke ... By the time I had to stop to make dinner... I'd learned Jake Shimabukuru's arrangement of Yesterday, played through a dozen or so songs from the book The Daily Ukulele, and spent some YouTube time with Ukulele Mike playing Over the Rainbow and some blues...

Congrats. You should have no problems getting a warm sweet sound from that solid mahogany topped Cordoba. I love concert size best, but also play soprano and tenor. Good luck. Here's a cool site for you. Just pick your tuning before starting.

http://www.ukuleleplayalong.nl/#

Thank you all so much for feeling the joy with me. I was really surprised that it didn't feel too small after the first 15 minutes or so, and this is going to be sooooo easy to travel with.

Bruce, thank you! I'm still hoping to get to your uke group sometime when the longer days arrive.

Frukmana, lol! The tenor won't be for awhile. However, I do have a birthday in February, and for sure my husband will start asking me what I want within a few weeks. So, ya' never know! I'll certainly wait until I can get something really nice. I do confess to drooling over a few on the internet. I think if I get a tenor, I might go to a low G to expand the range, add some lower voicings on arrangements, and fill out the sound.

Ryan, thank you for the warm welcome to The Dark Side. ;)

Stan, yes, my hubby's the best!

Eddie, I've played classical guitar for 50 years (25+ of them professionally), so I think it's more hard work and diligence than talent. There are plenty things on uke for me to improve on. I'm grateful for challenges, which give us something to work for. I certainly still feel like a newbie!

Frank and Kathryn, thank you!

Tammy, okay, I'll include pics of it too when I review.

Phil, I'm curious as to what it is about concert size that you like best. Is it the balance of the sound? Or the fret spacing? Or overall size? Thank you so much for that link. I will definitely check it out today!

Jamie

Last edited:
Congratulations! Your guitar background is going to make you progress really quickly on the ukulele. What a great Christmas present!

Congrats Jamie, I think you'll find the Uke to be very freeing and different than classical guitar.

I have been studying classical guitar for 6 years, and while I love everything about it, as you know it requires a lot of time, effort, focus and discipline.

So I leave all the "serious" stuff for guitar and Everything else I do on the Uke. And boy is it so much fun.

The portability, the variety of sounds, playing all and I mean all types of music etc... Ironically, I have one (actually a pair) classical guitar but close to 30 ukuleles. And I enjoy playing every single one from my 11" sopranino to my beloved Mya-Moe and my ubass...

So welcome to the Uke community, I thin you will find this a very pleasant, friendly, and fun experience.

Oh regrading low g, for me I have at least one of each, but usually I tune my sopranos with high g for that classic ukulele sound, and most of my tenors with low g for a wider range and melody arrangements.

Last edited:
Had that same sort of epiphany earlier this year. It's wonderful!

Congrats on the new uke. And Merry Christmas.

Olarte, wow, you've got it BAD!!! LOL ;) 30 Ukes. My oh my. Talk to me about the sopranino! Is that small enough for me to carry around in my purse? :) Can I tune it up a full octave?

I can so totally relate to everything you have said about classical guitar. There's no question that the instrument is a bear. I was lucky to have started with it so young (7 or 8) and stuck with it. Even so, the complexities and physical demands of the instrument require hard work and lots of discipline, which of course are rewarded by the rich warmth and multi-voice capability that no other instrument possesses. By comparison, the uke yields more immediate gratification, while maintaining many of the CG qualities and characteristics. I can easily see why it is becoming increasingly popular. I think people have more varied interests these days and less time to pursue them. The ukulele is a perfect complement to our times.

Regarding the low G, one thing that concerns me about going that route (even with a tenor) is that with all the "i" finger strumming, I'm concerned about the potential for wearing down that nail on the wound string. That would be disastrous for my CG playing, and my nails are weak. Do you find that to be an issue, or are you one of those lucky people with nails of steel?

Last edited:
Teruterubouzu, many thanks for the warm welcome.

Cigarfan, that's quite a collection of ukes for somebody who just became "enlightened" this year! I can see this forum could be a potentially dangerous place for me to hang out! ;)

About the low g use a fluorocarbon non wound string and you should be fine.

The sopraninos are more of a collectible than instruments I would play on a regular basis.

For portability I would prefer a flea. Small good intonation and very rugged

Last edited:
Top Bottom