NUD!! CUSTOM KINNARD 6-STRING MASTERPIECE - The slideshow and music.

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Aloha everyone, the time finally came and I received my new custom John S. Kinnard 6-string Tenor ukulele a little over a week ago. There are no words to describe how impressed I am with this uke and the various sounds I can get from it. This is the 4th Kinnard I have played and my first to be owned.

Slide Show Glamor Shots: http://youtu.be/rN5b1w-4BOs Make sure you select HD and enlarge your screen.

Sound Samples: https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-jay/tracks

It is a Walnut side/back tenor with a Sitka Spruce top, Walnut fretboard and neck, curly Koa binding, rosette, slotted headstock, gold Gotoh high ratio tuners, bound fretboard and headstock, curly Koa back stripe, b/w/b purfling and MiSi pickup. The finish is just incredible.

This uke is only the 2nd 6-string made by John but I am sure there will be many more orders after folks see and hear this one. To say this 6-string is at the top of it's class is an understatement. When it comes to 6-strings, move over Kamaka 6-string....there is a new "K Brand" in town and it's a knock out punch in my opinion.

I provided all the requirements to Kevin Beddoe, the representative for John S. Kinnard, who is the easiest person I have ever worked with when ordering a custom uke. Every detail, every measurement I provided for the radius, my requirements on the neck thickness and type of curve I like on the back of my neck, and everything else was done to absolutely perfection. This uke was also designed for fingerstyle playing and has been strung for that purpose with a low G, octave C, E and double course of A. I provided these Southcoast strings and am I glad I did.

I wanted "simple elegance" and something that spoke for the natural beauty with the right wood combination in all the right places, and a voice that is full of sustain.

I'll let the video and instrumental I play in the slideshow speak for itself. This uke has been played for probably 30 hours and I can say every hour has been pure joy. It will definitely be one of my regular go to instruments for my solo playing moving forward.

I can't say enough about it.

Cheers,

Really, really beautiful looking and sounding uke. And great job on the slide show! Enjoy!

I saw Kevin this past weekend and he told me you got your uke. I was wondering how you liked it.

That uke sounds awesome!

Fantastic Jay. Great sound and as usual, magnificent craftsmanship from John.

I have my six string strung the same way as you with Southcoasts, low G, C's in octaves and A's in unison. It makes for an incredible rich deep, and full sound.

Happy Holidays with your new Kinnard!

Hi Jay congrats on your beautiful six string, I know just how you feel, I feel the same about my KoAloha six string which is tuned in the same way as yours.
All the best.

Congrats!

It looks like John has made another awesome ukulele. I am super impressed with John's work.

looks amazing Jay congrats and Merry Christmas to you and your family...happy strummings..

nice video! beautiful ukulele!

I saw Kevin this past weekend and he told me you got your uke. I was wondering how you liked it.

That uke sounds awesome!

I don't like it. I love it! ;-) I am especially excited because of my ability to play finger style with it and really learn how to maximize the 6 strings for different sounds. I get get a re-entrant sound, I can get a low G sound, I can make it chime, or I can drive it hard during a kanikapila. Very versatile for me. I really love the sound.

Cheers and happy holidays,

Hi Jay congrats on your beautiful six string, I know just how you feel, I feel the same about my KoAloha six string which is tuned in the same way as yours.
All the best.

Yes, I really love the 3rd chorus with the octaves which I can finger pick either high or low notes or both. Tons of great sound combination.

Cheers,

Your new Kinnard looks and sounds wonderful. And very nice playing and photography in your video. I have a 6-string baritone Mya-Moe, an instrument option Gordon Meyer refers to as Mya-Moe's best kept secret treasure. Your next ukulele play-together in San Francisco is going to be loads of fun!

Your new Kinnard looks and sounds wonderful. And very nice playing and photography in your video. I have a 6-string baritone Mya-Moe, an instrument option Gordon Meyer refers to as Mya-Moe's best kept secret treasure. Your next ukulele play-together in San Francisco is going to be loads of fun!

Thanks for the compliments. I look forward to seeing you in March! We'll have to have a 6-string 'unveiling' along with a Compass Rose play along assuming I get mine by March ;-)

Looks purdy, sounds beautiful.

Congrats Jay!

Congrats Jay. Gorgeous uke and exquisite slide show / playing. John is one talented uke builder. The inside of the uke shots are amazing. Clean as a whistle. Don't know how you do that but it's extremely cool.

I am certainly a novice uke player and I hope one day to be able to make my Kinnard sing like that.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Congrats Jay. Gorgeous uke and exquisite slide show / playing. John is one talented uke builder. The inside of the uke shots are amazing. Clean as a whistle. Don't know how you do that but it's extremely cool.

I am certainly a novice uke player and I hope one day to be able to make my Kinnard sing like that.

Thanks Dennis. I am sure you can make your Kinnard sing. The photos are done using a very small lens and cfl lighting setup that I built. It's the close up shots you rarely see so I like to show the details as much as possible. Hopefully creating a style that people can recognize as mine. I have tons of fun doing it. Happy New Year to you and all our Kinnard brothers. Not sure if we have any sisters yet? :)

Cheers,

Thanks Dennis. I am sure you can make your Kinnard sing. The photos are done using a very small lens and cfl lighting setup that I built. It's the close up shots you rarely see so I like to show the details as much as possible. Hopefully creating a style that people can recognize as mine. I have tons of fun doing it. Happy New Year to you and all our Kinnard brothers. Not sure if we have any sisters yet? :)

UPDATED: Video Review coming soon...will post on my YouTube channel within the next week.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Top Bottom