How to Find Instrumental Tabs

electrauke

Reaction score
Hi UUers, I am somewhat frustrated. Here is my dilemma:

I love playing instrumentals on the ukulele, it is my favorite thing to play. Now, I see all these great players on the YouTube playing really cool instrumentals of songs I like and would want to play. The problem is that I can never find tabs or a comprehensive tutorial for cool instrumentals! So I am asking you, the UU community, to enlighten me as to where to go to learn these instrumentals. Where is the Academy of Ukulele Instrumentals?

Thanks,
Andre

For those not mentioned above, the other alternative is to pay Aldrine to figure out the songs for you. He is not accepting new songs right now but when he does, it seems like a good way to go.

The long term option is to learn the chords (different positions on the fretboard) and figure out the melody within the chords. http://ukebuddy.com/chord-finder is the website I use.

For those not mentioned above, the other alternative is to pay Aldrine to figure out the songs for you. He is not accepting new songs right now but when he does, it seems like a good way to go.

The long term option is to learn the chords (different positions on the fretboard) and figure out the melody within the chords. http://ukebuddy.com/chord-finder is the website I use.

LOL. I didn't know you could pay Aldrine to figure out songs for you...

Andre, best thing to do long term is what nongdam recommended. Start by picking out the melodies yourself and fit them in with the chords. Then experiment. :)

I'll put in a third vote for figuring things out by ear. It's beneficial in the long run. Don't let yourself be walled in by "how to play it the right way" or thinking you have to use the tab. I would be interested to hear it from him, but I bet Jake had few tabs at his disposal when he was putting in the hours. Sure didn't hurt his progress.

Figuring out a song by ear allows your fingers to learn it the right way for YOU, as opposed to the way somebody else plays it (which is the right way for THEM). You are not going to ever sound like anybody but yourself. I can pretty much guarantee that if you asked ten UUers to learn a song by ear that the best versions would be by the people who felt their way through the song using their own style, strengths, and skills as opposed to who learned it the "right way" from a tab. I know I would rather hear somebody's unique interpretation and feel for a song than hear them play it exactly like the record. If I want to listen to the record, I'll go buy it. It allows you a looser structure of the song. You can change parts here and there to make it easier or add things to spice it up. You could improvise something different each time if you wanted. There is no paper to bind your mind. By getting away from the tab you'll be forced to start developing your own style in a small way.

Plus, it trains your ear, which is a big deal.

Just my two cents. Not that tabs are bad, but don't get too attached. (I know I did for a while.) If anything, learn to play the basic structure of a song from a piano sheet or guitar tab and then figure out how to make it fit best on 'ukulele.

If there are tabs, print them out. If not, put the stereo on repeat.

Then get GuitarPro 6 which lets you write music and creates both the tab and the music. You can select uke or numerous stringed instruments. You can then transpose to any key with the click of a button, print to pdf, etc. The learning curve is not that steep if you already can read music. I tabbed out a few songs and its fantastic. It is time consuming but worth the results. Plus it plays your tab and you can then hear if it's the way you want it to sound.
Cheers!

I'll put in a third vote for figuring things out by ear. It's beneficial in the long run. Don't let yourself be walled in by "how to play it the right way" or thinking you have to use the tab. I would be interested to hear it from him, but I bet Jake had few tabs at his disposal when he was putting in the hours. Sure didn't hurt his progress.

Figuring out a song by ear allows your fingers to learn it the right way for YOU, as opposed to the way somebody else plays it (which is the right way for THEM). You are not going to ever sound like anybody but yourself. I can pretty much guarantee that if you asked ten UUers to learn a song by ear that the best versions would be by the people who felt their way through the song using their own style, strengths, and skills as opposed to who learned it the "right way" from a tab. I know I would rather hear somebody's unique interpretation and feel for a song than hear them play it exactly like the record. If I want to listen to the record, I'll go buy it. It allows you a looser structure of the song. You can change parts here and there to make it easier or add things to spice it up. You could improvise something different each time if you wanted. There is no paper to bind your mind. By getting away from the tab you'll be forced to start developing your own style in a small way.

Plus, it trains your ear, which is a big deal.

Just my two cents. Not that tabs are bad, but don't get too attached. (I know I did for a while.) If anything, learn to play the basic structure of a song from a piano sheet or guitar tab and then figure out how to make it fit best on 'ukulele.

If there are tabs, print them out. If not, put the stereo on repeat.

You are probably right, figuring it out by ear is the best way. I am always up for a challenge, so this is my next one!

Thanks

Top Bottom