Monkey wrench is making a steel string acoustic uke in the works....

iamesperambient

Reaction score
http://monkeywrenchmusic.com/steel-string-acoustic-ukulele

interesting sound. his ukes are pure craftsmanship. I would love to own one especially this and his electric baritone ukes, but their just so expensive maybe one day.

What do you guys think of this? i think its a really unique sound.

http://monkeywrenchmusic.com/steel-string-acoustic-ukulele

interesting sound. his ukes are pure craftsmanship. I would love to own one especially this and his electric baritone ukes, but their just so expensive maybe one day.

What do you guys think of this? i think its a really unique sound.

actually just looked at the date i didnt notice before this is old :(
and i dont see any being made now. i wonder if it ever fully
was finished or sold ? i've seen one other company i forget the name
def a really small 'basement luthier' for lack of better words who made
a steel string baritone, it would be nice to see a tenor or concert acoustic
with steel strings i like the sound a lot (from what i can hear).

actually just looked at the date i didnt notice before this is old :(
and i dont see any being made now. i wonder if it ever fully
was finished or sold ? i've seen one other company i forget the name
def a really small 'basement luthier' for lack of better words who made
a steel string baritone, it would be nice to see a tenor or concert acoustic
with steel strings i like the sound a lot (from what i can hear).

here is the steel string bari uke i saw online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To8f5uJ2fro

very haunting sounding the sustain its great.
I'd love to have one of these!

I just received a Compass Rose acoustic baritone steel string ukulele. It sounds a lot like a tenor guitar, but with a slightly more percussive ukulele sound. Here's a photo of it with its "twin," a Compass Rose acoustic baritone nylon string tuned octave-lower GCEA. Both are Adirondack Spruce top, Amazon Rosewood back and sides. They're both beautiful instruments. The steel string is on the right, with the angled saddle.

attachment.php

I just received a Compass Rose acoustic baritone steel string ukulele. It sounds a lot like a tenor guitar, but with a slightly more percussive ukulele sound. Here's a photo of it with its "twin," a Compass Rose acoustic baritone nylon string tuned octave-lower GCEA. Both are Adirondack Spruce top, Amazon Rosewood back and sides. They're both beautiful instruments. The steel string is on the right, with the angled saddle.

attachment.php

im lusting, im lusting and drooling!
how much was the steel string????????

attachment.php

it may be asking to much but is it possible to record a little sound clip of the steel string
this is something i'd really like to invest in. i love baritone ukulele size and feel and
really dont want to go into the world of tenor guitar.

attachment.php

does compass rose have a website?
i cant find anything on them except reviews
for their instruments but no site..as far as i can see.

it may be asking to much but is it possible to record a little sound clip of the steel string
this is something i'd really like to invest in. i love baritone ukulele size and feel and
really dont want to go into the world of tenor guitar.

I'm planning to make a sound sample sometime in the next few weeks. I want to provide samples of both ukuleles together, but the low G string on the octave lower GCEA ukulele snapped and needs to be replaced.

does compass rose have a website?
i cant find anything on them except reviews
for their instruments but no site..as far as i can see.

The luthier, Rick Turner, also builds guitars and basses. Here's his website:
http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/

Last edited:
sadly all i see is a normal tenor, a mini jumbo guitar and a jumbo guitar i guess he
doesn't make other ukes anymore or is this custom order to spec?

Rick has a thriving concert and tenor ukulele business, but he just began making baritone ukuleles. Most of his ukulele work is custom, although he does build "spec" tenor and concert ukuleles that he sells to retail shops like Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz and Heartbreak Guitars in Las Vegas. Both of my baritones were custom. I ordered them back in December 2012, while he was still working on a baritone ukulele prototype. I think he wants to build more baritones, though. He really likes the way my baritones turned out, and I think he has orders for more of them. You can contact him through his website.

Rick has a thriving concert and tenor ukulele business, but he just began making baritone ukuleles. Most of his ukulele work is custom, although he does build "spec" tenor and concert ukuleles that he sells to retail shops like Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz and Heartbreak Guitars in Las Vegas. Both of my baritones were custom. I ordered them back in December 2012, while he was still working on a baritone ukulele prototype. I think he wants to build more baritones, though. He really likes the way my baritones turned out, and I think he has orders for more of them. You can contact him through his website.

sure thanks for the info. im almost 100000 % positive the price will be beyond my means :(
but maybe in the future i will win the lottery or something :)

Top Bottom