Build Video

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
My first DVD and long awaited build documentary - Constructing a Hawaiian Style Tenor Ukulele is now going to be shot and produced in Jan/Feb. It is not a 'professional' shoot and the cost of the DVD will reflect this - it is an 'over the shoulder' view (more on the bench as in my YouTube style) of how I go about building a plain koa ukulele. There will be all the details that go into my work plus a full sized plan in the final project pack. I am going to shoot it on my iPhone and edit it with Power Director 12. I am donating the final piece to Seeso to help him with his project so if you buy my package you will also be sponsoring his work too.

I've had several schedules planned for this DVD but what with one thing and another, life has got in the way. I nearly have everything together now and am committed to getting the finished piece to Seeso so watch this space for clips and reports on progress.

Have just selected the raw wood for the build project. When I have processed the pix this evening I'll post them here. The koa is from one of the suppliers to KoAloha and I've made several excellent tenor ukulele already from this stuff. Am ordering the blackout paper for the workshop windows and daylight tubes for my photographic lamps. Have been working through some processes today and scripting them in preparation for the video shoot. I hope the last 10 years of filming what I do pays off and I don't have to do loads of retakes and dubs.

I am donating the final piece to Seeso to help him with his project so if you buy my package you will also be sponsoring his work too.

This is beyond amazing. So freaking excited! :D

Here is the pile destined to become a thing of beauty:

And the front or back:

This is so cool. I've never been a part of something like this - a build from the beginning, all the while knowing that it's destination is my home!

I suppose I should list the materials:
Big Island Koa for body
Spanish Cedar for the neck
Swiss line for front bracing
Spanish cedar for linings
Spanish cedar for back bars
Indonesian rosewood for bridge and fingerboard
Plastic position markers
Bone nut and saddle

Work starts in 3 weeks time...

Mr. Howlett...

I think it is extremely kind of you for what you are going to do for Seeso. As you know, he is a very deserving person. Thank you for being the way you are.

We are doing a 'short' on the Tru-Oil finish to see if we can work together late summer. We both have on-going projects at present that require or present attention.

Top Bottom