Need some knowledge/information on my G-String Uke

Booogada

Reaction score
Hey guys, about 8-10 years ago me and my dad traveled to Hawaii and I purchased a ukelele that I have not put down since the day my father bought it for me. I have done little research on it but can not get much legit information about it. It is obviously ( to me ) a G-String Uke model. Other than that I do not know anything about it. I know it sounds amazing. Better than anything I strum at a local guitar store. And made from Koa Wood I believe. I guess what I am asking is what is the value of this little gem? (although I will never sell it) What series is it? Also I read that G-String does not use stickers for their label on the inside but obviously mine is a sticker.

I hope this make since. I just need some help/information. I love playing this thing and just want some more information about it.

Thanks

photo.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice uke you have there. Looks like a custom. Ukes.com shows prices run from $550 for a soprano to right around $1000 for a tenor. Of course custom and specialty ukes are a bit more. These are new prices so depending on the custom features you have the price would change accordingly.

Interesting, I remember we bought this at a kiosk between two resort hotels. So maybe they had something custom made to sell to tourist? I remember them telling us that it was a type of wood that is only grown on the island. Koa?

Last edited:
Hi Booogada
I have an identical G string in super soprano and have searched hi and low for info with no luck. I've tried Derrick at G string (no response) and most major ukulele dealers in Hawaii no one seems to know. Good luck with your search maybe we'll both learn something.
Isaias

Hey Ikelele send us a photo. If we both have an identical model then it must not be custom. And I also emailed G string a couple years ago and had no response.

Derek closed up his shop in Halawa a few years ago. I have more recent info on him but I'll respect Derek's privacy.

Suffice to say when his shop was in production, one of his goals was to bring the "custom" aspect of `ukulele to the masses, hence the use of laser inlay/engraving, etc. His instruments were priced right in line with the other factories here, and I think his quality was way up there as well.

One of the things he taught me is to "never sacrifice structure for sound". He graciously provided feedback on some of my early builds, simple stuff like grain direction on back strips, materials, etc. This forced me to do more research, early on.

He had endorsements form players such as Kelly DeLima and James Hill, among others. I think James' instrument was one of the best I've heard/seen. Although I haven't kept up with James, I don't think he's has a good replacement since (I may be wrong) - the music he made back then with his G-string was top notch.

In any case, your G-string is not run of the mill, obviously, and one that I'd keep. On my list of instruments I would not have leave my ownership are my Kamaka's and KoAloha's. I've yet to get a Kanilea and looks like I won't be able to complete my collection with a G-String. Problem now is, I haven't bought `ukulele in years. . . so I'll settle with my Kamaka's and KoAloha's.

Hope this helps.

I just talked with Derek a few months ago, G-String is still in production. I have a G-String Tenor that I like very much, because of that I was going to order a G String Long Neck Concert and I was quoted over 9 bills so they are right on the mark with the other Hawaiian builder and they are equal in quality in every way. I have seen one on craigslist here in San Diego just like yours and they were asking $450 I belive and that would be a more than fair price in my opinion for a soprano depending on condition. If I was into sopranos I would have bought it. So I would say $450 on the low end to $600 on the high. Google G-String Ukulele's you will get alot of information.

Man we basically have the same model. Mine is a little darker finish and yours has the company name on the head. Those are the only differences.

Top Bottom