Eddy Finn?

notgeorgeformby

Reaction score
I'm being sorely tempted by an Eddy Finn solid mahogany tenor currently for sale on eBay, but can't find much about the brand on the internet. I don't think they are sold in the UK and there aren't many reviews on retail sites. Anyone have experience of this brand? I'd be grateful for any feedback.

A few months ago I bought an Eddy Finn EF-13-TE2 tenor, solid spruce top and mahogany sides and back from Amazon for $168. I replaced the preamp/tuner with a nicer one I ordered from China, and had the action lowered a bit. I really like it, good presence, clean and comfortable.

u2EddyFinn.jpg

Last edited:
A few months ago I bought an Eddy Finn EF-13-TE2 tenor, solid spruce top and mahogany sides and back from Amazon for $168. I replaced the preamp/tuner with a nicer one I ordered from China, and had the action lowered a bit. I really like it, good presence, clean and comfortable.

u2EddyFinn.jpg

Thanks, Mike. It looks good.

I've only handled one, and that was a couple of years ago at UWC. The action was outrageously high at both ends complete with the intonation problems that usually accompany an action that is high at the nut and there wasn't much volume (though I think it was one of the laminated ones, if I remember right).

That was right after they entered the market. They may have gotten better.

John

My impression is that they have a fairly robust, i.e. heavy, build. Not sure where I got that idea, nor whether it is valid. I tend to steer clear of them though. That's just me.

i have seen a number of them and tried them a few times but wasn't overly impressed. That doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there. I got an inexpensive Kala that I love!

I'm being sorely tempted by an Eddy Finn solid mahogany tenor currently for sale on eBay, but can't find much about the brand on the internet. I don't think they are sold in the UK and there aren't many reviews on retail sites. Anyone have experience of this brand? I'd be grateful for any feedback.

My thoughts are they are just another cheap ukulele. Nothing to write home about. I have looked into buying one of their banjoleles, but that was nore b/c of the price than the overwhelming sound. IMO there are better sounding ukes in that price range.

My Eddy Finn soprano is the only solid wood ukulele I own. It is solid mahogany and is a beautiful looking little instrument and certainly nicely made. I got it on special on eBay - I think it was $99 including postage. I don't play it often and I do prefer my Flea but it was more expensive.
If the price is right I would recommend it as I reckon the tenor would be nicer.
Here are a couple of vids with the Eddy Finn soprano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT_Y0RsQJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqTG9oyOVYU

I got a EF. It says solid wood yet it is laminate. Its good, a good smelling ukulele. I think they got the gimmick of shark fin sound hole and coconut smell. Its good for a beginner ukulele but thats about it a definite solid built ukulele as it has with stood my kids so far as well.

I am a dealer for Eddy Finn. At first it was like learning a foreign language. For Example: mahogany means it is a laminate
solid mahogany top means the top is solid and the rest is laminate. All solid mahogany means what it says. That hold true for any of their instruments and any of the different woods. For $10.00, their shop goes through the instrument and does a set up on it, so when I get them, I don't have to do it. For $8.00 extra, they will drop ship to your address when you buy through any dealer. That way, you aren't paying for it being shipped to me and then from me to you. Their ukuleles come with a three-ten or lifetime warranty. Even the little Minnows have a three year written warranty.
I don't just sell them, I own several different models and sizes. I have to laugh every time I am playing my own instrument and someone wants to buy it right on the spot. Some come with Aquila strings and some come with less than Aquila strings, but they let you know . Often there are special sales to dealers. Just before Christmas, they had a buy one at regular dealer price, and get a second one free. Two of the models were all solid wood. In a situation like that, I sell the first one at cost, so we each get a good uke at a great price. They had a model 01 soprano that was the equivalent of the little Mahalo sopranos that wasn't as good as the Minnow, but, with good strings, they really play nicely, and sound good. They also have the three year warranty. I have two other lines --Lehua and Leolani --, but the Eddy Finn line is the one which is most often bought. I am impressed with SHS and how they do business.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I tossed caution to the wind and put in a bid last night, woke up this morning to find I have won! So the deed is done, for better or worse. I got it for just over $200 including shipping to the UK, and I'll have tax and import duty to pay when it gets here. If it's half decent that price compares pretty well with the choice available here. I'll update this thread when I get my hands on it.

I've only handled one, and that was a couple of years ago at UWC. The action was outrageously high at both ends complete with the intonation problems that usually accompany an action that is high at the nut and there wasn't much volume (though I think it was one of the laminated ones, if I remember right).

That was right after they entered the market. They may have gotten better.

John

Yikes! I hope so, John.

My impression is that they have a fairly robust, i.e. heavy, build. Not sure where I got that idea, nor whether it is valid. I tend to steer clear of them though. That's just me.

The spec called it "large bodied", whatever that means.

i have seen a number of them and tried them a few times but wasn't overly impressed. That doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there. I got an inexpensive Kala that I love!

Thanks, Rem. I have Kalas too and they are brilliant.

"Eddy Finn" is the line of ukes produced by mega-company SHS, they abruptly jumped into ukuleles when the market got hot about 5 years back.

That's interesting, hoosier. Was Eddy Finn someone famous? I've never heard the name before.

My thoughts are they are just another cheap ukulele. Nothing to write home about. I have looked into buying one of their banjoleles, but that was nore b/c of the price than the overwhelming sound. IMO there are better sounding ukes in that price range.

Thanks, John. I'm hoping this one isn't too bad since it's their top of the line model.

My Eddy Finn soprano is the only solid wood ukulele I own. It is solid mahogany and is a beautiful looking little instrument and certainly nicely made. I got it on special on eBay - I think it was $99 including postage. I don't play it often and I do prefer my Flea but it was more expensive.
If the price is right I would recommend it as I reckon the tenor would be nicer.
Here are a couple of vids with the Eddy Finn soprano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT_Y0RsQJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqTG9oyOVYU

Thanks for the links, pabrizzer. I find this encouraging because you certainly get a good sound out of it!

I got a EF. It says solid wood yet it is laminate. Its good, a good smelling ukulele. I think they got the gimmick of shark fin sound hole and coconut smell. Its good for a beginner ukulele but thats about it a definite solid built ukulele as it has with stood my kids so far as well.

Blimey, it didn't mention coconut in the blurb! I'll look forward to that.

I am a dealer for Eddy Finn. At first it was like learning a foreign language. For Example: mahogany means it is a laminate
solid mahogany top means the top is solid and the rest is laminate. All solid mahogany means what it says. That hold true for any of their instruments and any of the different woods. For $10.00, their shop goes through the instrument and does a set up on it, so when I get them, I don't have to do it. For $8.00 extra, they will drop ship to your address when you buy through any dealer. That way, you aren't paying for it being shipped to me and then from me to you. Their ukuleles come with a three-ten or lifetime warranty. Even the little Minnows have a three year written warranty.
I don't just sell them, I own several different models and sizes. I have to laugh every time I am playing my own instrument and someone wants to buy it right on the spot. Some come with Aquila strings and some come with less than Aquila strings, but they let you know . Often there are special sales to dealers. Just before Christmas, they had a buy one at regular dealer price, and get a second one free. Two of the models were all solid wood. In a situation like that, I sell the first one at cost, so we each get a good uke at a great price. They had a model 01 soprano that was the equivalent of the little Mahalo sopranos that wasn't as good as the Minnow, but, with good strings, they really play nicely, and sound good. They also have the three year warranty. I have two other lines --Lehua and Leolani --, but the Eddy Finn line is the one which is most often bought. I am impressed with SHS and how they do business.

That's really interesting, Cow, thanks for the information. The Eddy Finn website mentions a 10 year warranty which is encouraging.

yeah, but I think Kevin (Glass) know what he is talking about. It is quite possibly that one was mislabeled. Heck there is one brand that was labeling their ukuleles as solid koa, when they weren't.

I was never impressed with any of the EF ukes I played. Nor their tuners. I have 14 tuners and after I opened all them, 4 of them didn't work. New batteries were installed too...that isn't a very good ratio of not working.

The EF uke is an intro ukulele. It sounds like most of the other intro ukuleles that were put out after the uke craze swept the world.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I tossed caution to the wind and put in a bid last night, woke up this morning to find I have won! So the deed is done, for better or worse. I got it for just over $200 including shipping to the UK, and I'll have tax and import duty to pay when it gets here. If it's half decent that price compares pretty well with the choice available here. I'll update this thread when I get my hands on it.

Yikes! I hope so, John.

The spec called it "large bodied", whatever that means.

Thanks, Rem. I have Kalas too and they are brilliant.

That's interesting, hoosier. Was Eddy Finn someone famous? I've never heard the name before.

Thanks, John. I'm hoping this one isn't too bad since it's their top of the line model.

Thanks for the links, pabrizzer. I find this encouraging because you certainly get a good sound out of it!

Blimey, it didn't mention coconut in the blurb! I'll look forward to that.

I really hope your EF works for you. Maybe you got one of the good ones.
\

from what i have seen their minnows seem to be their version of the malaka dolphin or shark.
but their mid to higher levels seem to be that of the quality of them mid to high level of kala
or lanikai. I like their design its pretty unique when i have extra cash to throw around i think
ill end up getting one at some point.

Ah, Eddie Finn. The mass-produced doorstop. The uke known more for its coconut oil scented sound hole than for its playability.

The rest of us Samaritans will not sit still and watch you writhe, notgeorgeformby; we'll soothe your wry gut by propping open your spastic mandible and tossing in a handful of antacid to pacify your grumbling urges--we, too, have been infected by this Bubonic notion at one time or another. Like a college roomie, we'll help you, arm-in arm, to the shared bathhouse, to purge the loathsome thought, to thump you on the ribs and hold your hair back and wipe the puke-tears off your cheeks while you pray to the porcelain god so that the evil may leave you, one stinking wretch at a time.

Ah, Eddie Finn. The mass-produced doorstop. The uke known more for its coconut oil scented sound hole than for its playability.

The rest of us Samaritans will not sit still and watch you writhe, notgeorgeformby; we'll soothe your wry gut by propping open your spastic mandible and tossing in a handful of antacid to pacify your grumbling urges--we, too, have been infected by this Bubonic notion at one time or another. Like a college roomie, we'll help you, arm-in arm, to the shared bathhouse, to purge the loathsome thought, to thump you on the ribs and hold your hair back and wipe the puke-tears off your cheeks while you pray to the porcelain god so that the evil may leave you, one stinking wretch at a time.

wow you could turn your post into a toms waits song!

LOL That's some image you've painted there, cool. I've got the shakes just thinking about it. :eek:

LOL That's some image you've painted there, cool. I've got the shakes just thinking about it. :eek:

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Steve is either off his meds or back on them again - the scary part is it's hard to tell which... LOL

(Just kidding, Steve, as you know.)
John

Top Bottom