Luthiers the specialize in sopranos?

julie

Reaction score
I'm more than seriously considering having a custom soprano build for me and am wondering if there are luthiers that specialize in that size. My current favorite uke is a custom concert by Mike DaSilva. I contacted him a several days ago to inquire about a soprano, but I've not had any response, so I'm not sure if he's building any longer.

Julie

Ken Timms specializes in making sopranos. BTW I'm sure Mike is still making ukes. Maybe he is away for the holidays.

Three good choices so far. I've owned two BBs, both of which were excellent. I own a Timms, which has everything I want in a soprano.

What about Pohaku? (I've never played one, but the reviews are pretty spectacular.)

Good luck with the search, and let us all know how it turns out.

Mike DaSilva makes beautiful sopranos.
Hang in there, he get busy or as Doc_J says, he is may be away.

I agree with all of the above and have a BlackBear soprano.
I'd add Joel Eckhaus at Earnest Instruments to the choices.

I'm more than seriously considering having a custom soprano build for me and am wondering if there are luthiers that specialize in that size. My current favorite uke is a custom concert by Mike DaSilva. I contacted him a several days ago to inquire about a soprano, but I've not had any response, so I'm not sure if he's building any longer.

Julie

He's building, but generally the only reliable way to reach him is by phone rather than email. In my experience, he's very responsive by phone, although right now he might be busy gearing up for NAMM.

I have a custom 19-fret mahogany soprano that he built for me a couple years ago, and it's amazing.

If you are lucky and I mean real lucky and have a budget...chuckie ones sound real nice... as always what is your budget so we can pinpoint a uke for you...

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've decided that I'll call Mike next week and see what his schedule looks like. Now that I think about it, I recall that trying to get him to respond to emails was a bit difficult ;) I really love the concert uke he made me back in 2008, so I know I'd love a soprano. If it works out that he's too busy, I'll come back to this thread and and start looking for alternatives. If I can sell my MP concert (it's listed in the marketplace), my budget will be around $1200-$1400 give or take.

Hey Julie...You can get a high end premimum second hand or a second hand custom for a hundred or two more...be patient and watch the marketplace.. hee hee
save up in the mean time....You UU enabler..:)

Roger Skipper, of Skipper Strings, recently finished a gorgeous soprano. If you go to his pages (below), then to "Happening' and scroll down a bit, you can look at the construction pictures of it as well as finished pictures. It might givr you some ideas.

I tend to be way to impulsive. Thanks for the "slow down and wait" advice :)

my budget will be around $1200-$1400 give or take.

You can do it. My custom DaSilva (no bling, very simple) fell in the low end of that range. It was a couple years ago now but the whole process took just a few months - definitely worth waiting for, and not much of a wait!

Top Bottom