Vintage Martin Soprano/Concert visual differences?

King David

Reaction score
Finding most sellers these days have no clue what they are selling, so I'd like to get this straight. Any experienced collector/players care to inform me on how the Vintage Martin Concerts appear visually different then the vintage Sopranos?

Obviously one measures ~21 inches and the other ~23 inches with the slightly longer scale, but these kinds of things often cannot be measure from a mere photo alone, and forget about getting an accurate measurement from some rando-sellers(hi, the ukelele is 54 inches long, thank you - :deadhorse:).
Aloha

The concerts all had binding, so if it has no binding, then it's a style 0 soprano. but, the style 1 soprano had binding, and they really look a lot alike in a picture.but if it has a pin bridge, it's either a tenor or bari. so I don't think you can visually tell the style 1 soprano from a standard concert. I could be wrong. lots of pics here
http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/martin2.html

The concerts all had binding, so if it has no binding, then it's a style 0 soprano. but, the style 1 soprano had binding, and they really look a lot alike in a picture.but if it has a pin bridge, it's either a tenor or bari. so I don't think you can visually tell the style 1 soprano from a standard concert. I could be wrong. lots of pics here
http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/martin2.html

i have a concert style 0 with no binding
in 1931 martin made 48 style 0 concerts (no binding).......they were sold by montgomery wards but did not have any marking on them except the usual martin hot stamp inside and on the back of the headstock

Based on what experienced Martin players Strumsilly (a simple thank you always does better than a snippy reply) and Larson wrote, you can see that it's pretty inconsistent.

Simply ask for a photo with a measuring tape in it. If the seller doesn't want to do that, I would not consider buying it. It is all about communication between buyer and seller.

:agree: The book is a real work of "Martin" Art.

the book is great....just loaded with information........very well written......
...and a lot of high quality images which are extremely helpful
here are a few images;

left 1949 style 1 concert
center 1920's style 1 soprano
right 1931 style 0 concert (only about 48 made)

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom