how do you justify???

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been wondering how to justify all the ukes I own. I have 4 sopranos, one concert, 2 tenors. I know to some of you that was last months purchase :) but to me I seem overwhelmed. I can only play one uke at a time and every time I switch there is a adjustment period. Here is what I intend to do: whittle down to 2 sopranos (the first I ever bought and my custom sailor soprano). As for the concert, I can never get rid of the sceptre I bought from dkcrowne, it is fantastic. Now for the tenors, I will always keep the BP kayak but will unload the koa fluke to help finance another Boat Paddle and that should do it. Now in case I change my mind how do you justify the ukes you own..... this is just in case of course :)

Justify? It's in your sig!

I guess I would ask how often go you play each one? Each uke has it's own voice so having multiple ukes can be a joy. I have 4 ukes that I rotate threw regularly. I also have a couple that I rarely play and am waiting for the right person to come along to "loan" them to (not big bucks here!).

I also have one dog of a uke that my wife gave me that ain't going anywhere. Looks pretty but can't sing. I've tried every tweak I know and nothin'. As the song goes - the things we do for love!

As long as like you are paying your bills, feeding your kids, and not like getting evicted. Don't fret it ... just keep them all.

Justify? It's in your sig!
Enjoy life, it's temporary.

Great response Fred!

I've got a technical background so have to analyze everything. I've got less than $1500 invested in ukes that I play probably 250 hrs per year. That's cheap entertainment, plus I'm stimulating my brain so fending off aging, even though I'm under 60.

I justify them by playing them. I tell people that (i) ukuleles is my midlife crisis and they're a lot cheaper than Maseratis, and (ii) ukuleles are like shoes in that their different characteristics and qualities give them different purposes, and I wouldn't wear running shoes with a tuxedo or rainboots to go for a run. But mostly, I just play them. If I like them, I play them, and they're justified by the joy they bring me. If I have ukuleles I don't play, I look for ways to rehome them.

I've been supporting us, my wife and I and now two adult kids for 25 years.

Life IS temporary, and I have no intention of waiting until I can retire and no longer able to afford the ukes I want or possibly even be able to play them by then...

So with those two points in mind, and seeing that there are many many others like me who enjoy owning and playing a variety of instruments.... I have nothing to justify to anyone but myself and I feel just fine.

My wife is cool with me about it as she knows that I am a musician at heart, and because I have an impeccable history of being a provider....

Life is good if you are awake to enjoy it.

Last edited:
My justification. I like em'. They are fun. Nuf said.

No one really cares how many ukes you have. Do you feel like you have to justify how many pairs of socks you own?

Share the ones you don't play any more if that makes you feel better. Enjoy the ones you love to play.

Last edited:
Dude...

attachment.php

attachment.php

And that was a while back..

Change your mind. That's the only way to change and/or justify anything, and even then, it will only matter to you. Others will think and say what they will, and how you let it affect you is up to you. Don't like what they say? Change your mind about that too. But mostly, I know, it's us beiting ourselves up about what we have, whether we deserve it/them, etc. And again, that requires a change in mindset. I didn't say it would be easy... But it will do the most good in the long run.

I sort of know where you're coming from. The most ukes I've had at one time is 5 and a U-bass. One is my son's and he'd be mad if I passed it on, but there was only one other uke I ever played. When people finally got interested, I re-homed them and the U-bass. Not because I had to, because that never works for me! But because it felt right. All of them went to people who were glad to receive them, and they're done taking up space and hearing me mutter things at them.

Until then, we hold onto them and let them teach us what they will... Because they will!

So play them, no matter how much or little you do, and otherwise, just let them be.

Best to you!

I haven't financed any of my ukes even though I could have added to the college 529 fund. :p

No need to justify to anyone, regardless of whether you have 1 or a hundred. Once your basic personal and/or family needs are met, you can choose to part with your discretionary income any way you see fit, and as wisely or frivolously as your fancy dictates. And while I'm offering my solicited opinion - you did ask by the way- and as everyone is the world's greatest authority on their own opinion - I also don't think it makes a hoot of difference whether or not a uke gets played regularly or not as reason for owning it. Ownership in itself is part of the joy of collecting these happy little instruments and justifies their place in your home. I always smile when I see someone mention a uke "deserving to be played" as a legitimate reason for selling it. Other than in genuine financial hardship cases, people sell ukes because they are unable to bond with them, whether that be on a practical level, i.e., they just don't like the way it plays or sounds, or, for more nebulous reasons, as in the uke simply did not live up to their lofty and oftentimes unrealistic pre-acquisition expectations, but because it deserves to be played more, nonsense. The way I see it, while a particular uke is waiting it's turn to be held and played, whether that be a day or a year, I can still revel in the aesthetically pleasing vibe they add to my personal landscape.

Too many cool ukes, so little time - I've got to pick up the pace.

I don't feel I have to justify my ukes to anyone.

If your UAS gets to the point it interferes with your expenses and obligations, then it's a problem. Otherwise, who cares?

Some people spend tons of money on things like golfing, clothes/jewelry/cars, season tickets to their favorite sports team or whatever.

If you keep it in perspective, uking can be a relatively inexpensive hobby that is both fun and satisfying and not dependent on the weather. :)

Just sing the old Tim McGraw song: I like 'em, I love 'em, I want some more of 'em! :)

Just compare the amount you spend on gas for the car in a year to what you spent on ukes. I spent $2500 on gas last year that was incinerated in my car so I could get to places that I could mostly have walked to. That seems like a way bigger waste of money than ukuleles that I can enjoy for a very long time, or sell and reclaim some (or all) of the investment.

Also, owning different instruments is as much a part of the learning process as the mechanics of playing. I've learned something from every instrument I've ever owned!

If it really bothers you, walk to work once a week to compensate!

Top Bottom