I need help on my strumming :(

Wolfaction

Reaction score
Hello guys! I just got my ukulele yesterday as a late christmas gift and I am really enjoying it! I watched the ukulele undergrounds basics about strumming and I understand the whole "point to yourself, point to ground concept" but whenever i play a song that has a certain pattern or faster then what I am used to, I tend to just move my pointer finger up and down with no rotating of the wrist. I hope this makes sense! Is it natural/supposed to happen like this? Or should I slow every song down to make sure my wrist is fully rotating and pointing my finger straight at the ground and straight at me.

It seems that after awhile, some songs would just be too fast or difficulte to fully point to the ground and yourself. Is it okay to just move your finger up and down instead of rotating? Thanks!

Wolfaction - Congratulations on your first 'ukulele. Make your strumming your own style. Strum what comes naturally. Listen for a rhythm and strum with your finger(s) or thumb or any combination. Don't worry about or overthink your wrist rotation.

I do that with triplets. One caution, strumming is a skill and many beginners try and strum faster than their skill level. (I was one that did that). Make sure you master a strumming pattern slowly.....the speed will come automatically. Many strumming tutorials on YouTube. Just search ukulele how to strum, fingerpick, etc.

Aldrine has great videos. Jake did another video here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_at_nglL3M
You can spend a lot of time trying to master different techniques. (Major understatement)
That being said you need to just keep playing until you feel comfortable,acquire some muscle memory,and can feel your strums for different songs. Even up up down up down down types of patterns at first were too much.
I found strumming down with my fingers and up with my thumb was the most natural and comfortable for me.
The important thing is to find what is comfortable and to enjoy yourself the rest will happen for you if you enjoy yourself. Congratulations on your new ukulele.

Top Bottom