Evaluating the K's

Reaction score
Aloha!
i was wondering which of the 4 K's is the loudest.. i've been playing the ukulele for 10 years.. and i am currently using my pono tenor... but i want to have a custom ukulele from one of the major K builders.. can you please tell me which is the loudest? thank you.. and while you're at it.. please share your opinions/experiences regarding each with the basic models...
I am pretty much pleased with the sound of all the K brands so i will say that i prefer all of them... all i want to know is which one is the loudest, the second loudest, etc... thank you

Plus:
wouldnt it be great to have an ukulele with the Kamaka body shape (IMOO the sexiest)body purfling, binding, rosette and slotted headstock, kanilea UV gloss finish, koaloha neck dimensions (fastest neck) and the koolau radius fretboard??? The volume of koaloha with the note clarity and separation of koolau plus a combined tone of kanilea and kamaka would be sweet.. :)

Last edited:
Why so focused on the loudness of the uke? The loudest uke in the room does not equate to the "best".

I have never played a Ko'olau but have tenors from the other three. If volume is what you want, there is no comparison, KoAloha is the loudest. It also has the best customer service and (to my ears) the best tone. Kanilea has a nice warm tone and is the prettiest. Kamaka has the longest history and a traditional sound.

Just my two cents...but the KoAloha is by far the loudest.

I have never played a Ko'olau but have tenors from the other three. If volume is what you want, there is no comparison, KoAloha is the loudest. It also has the best customer service and (to my ears) the best tone. Kanilea has a nice warm tone and is the prettiest. Kamaka has the longest history and a traditional sound.

Just my two cents...but the KoAloha is by far the loudest.
yep. the Kanilea gloss is stunning and really shows off their koa, and their pin bridge is really classy looking. their fit and finish is nearly perfect. Koaloha's standard koa is more straight grained, with more small flaws. more like handmade. Their bridge is now plain, think Lanikai, which is a shame as their crown bridge was way cool, even the bow tie was nicer. both necks are about the same shape, the Kanilea neck is almost too glossy, if you know what I mean, makes sliding a little harder. You either like their headstock or you don't, I think it's cool, but it makes using a string winder harder. 2 of the points get in the way. I actually have a Koaloha in the marketplace now, and as I just got a Martin tenor , agonized over which one to sell. The Kanilea is prettier, the Koaloha sounds better and has a better pick up, and is new. If the Koaloha doesn't sell, I'll put the Kanilea up for sale[I'm keeping the Martin!]. you really can't go wrong with either, but if you are looking for volume, the Koaloha has the edge. I don't have either of the other K;s.

yeah i know.. but i wanmt a very loud uke for aggressive playing.. i have ukes for subtle playing and i have another one for aggressive playing.. and im thinking on having another uke which may be louder than what i am using now for my aggressive playing..

I have pickups in the ukes I want to be aggressive with...turn up the volume, be as loud as you want. Not loud enough? Get a bigger amp, LOL! :music:

yep. the Kanilea gloss is stunning and really shows off their koa, and their pin bridge is really classy looking. their fit and finish is nearly perfect. Koaloha's standard koa is more straight grained, with more small flaws. more like handmade. Their bridge is now plain, think Lanikai, which is a shame as their crown bridge was way cool, even the bow tie was nicer. both necks are about the same shape, the Kanilea neck is almost too glossy, if you know what I mean, makes sliding a little harder. You either like their headstock or you don't, I think it's cool, but it makes using a string winder harder. 2 of the points get in the way. I actually have a Koaloha in the marketplace now, and as I just got a Martin tenor , agonized over which one to sell. The Kanilea is prettier, the Koaloha sounds better and has a better pick up, and is new. If the Koaloha doesn't sell, I'll put the Kanilea up for sale[I'm keeping the Martin!]. you really can't go wrong with either, but if you are looking for volume, the Koaloha has the edge. I don't have either of the other K;s.

I thought I was the only one that hates changing strings on my KoAloha. Yep, I only use a string winder on two tuners and have to hand wind the other two. I learned that the hard way by dinging the headstock on my old Pineapple Sunday.

Top Bottom