DIY Uke Case or Gig Bag Plans?

Easiest thing is an old pair of jeans cut in half (you can make two bags out of one pair). Sew off the cuff opening, make a flap out of the waist portion (remove the zipper so you don't scratch the uke) and secure closed with Velcro. Add a simple strap and there you are! If you want to go fancy with it, you can line the inside with a softer material.

Easiest thing is an old pair of jeans cut in half (you can make two bags out of one pair). Sew off the cuff opening, make a flap out of the waist portion (remove the zipper so you don't scratch the uke) and secure closed with Velcro. Add a simple strap and there you are! If you want to go fancy with it, you can line the inside with a softer material.

And I just threw out an old pair! I'll keep this in mind though, very cool.

Has anyone done this or something similar and included a foam lining of some kind? Even for a rugged uke, the usual 10mm padding doesn't seem like much.

As a pro upholstr I know of various densities for padding . Thin can be good.

I am a case maker. It is a process very much like making a custom instrument. I am making a case for a 16 inch sopranino for a builder.. If you tell me what you have in mind, I will help you design a case for it. It will also help to know what tools you have for doing it. Do you know what kind of padding you want or is available? Strap arrangement? Shape? Zipper length?What kind of material? I take it you want something a little more sophisticated than a towel wrapped around the uke inside of a pillow case. :~)

Last edited:
There are a several DYI designs on Youtube.com and at Instructables.com for soft and hard cases.

Then there's Ralph Shaws ukulele case...

Not sure if the original poster is still interested, but I just started making a case. Really low tech. Cardboard, hotglue and paper mache. Still not sure how well it will turn out. The picture is where it is right now. I have other pics of the construction. I am currently planning on covering the outside with the material from old blue jeans. I will use some strudy leather I have for hinges and latches.

If you want any information about what I did let me know.

Attachments

• 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 38
If you want a soft case but more padding than the usual ones offered, use closed cell foam (the commercial ones use open cell). A good source of closed cell foam are the blue or yellow camping pads. Two layers of fabric with foam between the layers and you should be good to go. And the camping pad is in keeping with the Camp uke theme!

0808-097_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg

Top Bottom