Slice 'n' Dice

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
Got my wife a nice, new bread knife -- she bakes our bread -- for Christmas, and to make a long story short, sliced off the tip of my left middle finger yesterday. Nothing really serious, bled a lot, and it should heal fine in six or eight weeks. In theory.

Meanwhile, I'm likely to be doing open-tunings or a lot of barre chords way up the neck if I want to play ook.

Notice that I am typing slowly and carefully here ...

Anybody whose done something like this have suggestions on how to work around a fat bandage on a fretting finger?

Thanks.

Steve

Got my wife a nice, new bread knife -- she bakes our bread -- for Christmas, and to make a long story short, sliced off the tip of my left middle finger yesterday. Nothing really serious, bled a lot, and it should heal fine in six or eight weeks. In theory.

Meanwhile, I'm likely to be doing open-tunings or a lot of barre chords way up the neck if I want to play ook.

Notice that I am typing slowly and carefully here ...

Anybody whose done something like this have suggestions on how to work around a fat bandage on a fretting finger?

Thanks.

Steve
Ouch!!!! Bravo for still playing!

Darn, now you can't tell drivers on the highway that they are number one! I sliced the tip off the little finger on my right hand many years ago while I was clearing broken glass out of a window in my son's room. Really bad planning on my part.

However, there are a lot of things you can work on especially for right hand technique. You can use your whole hand to mute the strings and "scrub" and practice the daylights out of triplets, fan strokes, finger rolls, and so on.

Unless you got deep enough into the finger to clip the bone I suspect that within a week you will find you can do a lot with the hand without putting a lot of pressure on the damaged finger - thus you can work on finding alternate ways to make common chords. The ER doc recommended that I use Neosporin every time I changed the dressing and within a week mine was closing up enough that I could go to nothing more than a pair of bandaids over it (one over the top and one around the base to keep the other one from slipping). At that point I could have played with no more than a little discomfort even if it had been on my left hand. Unless you removed a lot more of the tip than I did I'd imagine you should be able to play more or less normally within two weeks.

John

I"ve mastered a few strumming and picking techniques (well, maybe "mastered" is a strong term) by muting the strings and quietly practicing while watching TV or during commercials.

This is how the blues was born. Go dig around in your medicine cabinet again and grab one of these.....

DV017_Jpg_Thumbnail_360586.jpg

(You can have fun with your uke AND punish your wife at the same time! Win/Win)

If you fret using the other 3 fingers, you'll look like you're giving a salute.

My son cut the neck off a rum bottle and made me a nice slide. Open tunings ...

Steve

Top Bottom