Johnny Depp to play George Formby

:wtf:

Can't see it somehow.

Excellent! Great to hear that. I look forward to the film.

I hope it is a good film. I wonder if he will try to resemble George?

–Lori

The article said Depp's got the Northern accent down. Should be interesting to hear him...I haven't heard an American actor yet that can imitate a convincing English accent..

As for the rags to riches story, according to the Frank Skinner documentary, Formby was always quite well-off.

Looking forward to seeing this!

Or will he look more like Tonto?

Can Johnny make a George face?

He's not got the nose and teeth for it! :)

Seriously, though, I'm just not a big Depp fan. But then I almost never watch movies anymore, anyway. As for rags to riches being true or not, producers almost never get biographical films right, anyway (and if they did we'd probably discover how boring even famous person's lives mostly are). Still, if it's done well it could bring some love for the banjo uke and possibly ukes in general.

John

Very interesting, yet strange news. Hollywood must be digging deep for new movie ideas. I like Formby but a lot of his song lyrics ain't that politically kosher these days. It will be interesting. I'll rent or buy that movie for sure.

I guess it will mean more uke sales (a good thing!) and those daring where uke playing angels tread to fear by learning the Formby split-stroke. Indeed, I've already mastered it after a workshop here in Ottawa, Canada. The guy who taught me had went to the Blackpool annual event and learned the technique sans the YouTube tutorial confusion. hehehe

I wish everyone right now a Happy New Uke Year! hehe

Petey

After some searching I have been unable to confirm that any such film is actually in the works. Even IMDB, which lists Depp's announced projects thru 2016, makes no mention of it.

The article states:

Our source explained: “He’s become a bit of a producer in recent times and is in a great position to get Formby’s story turned into a major movie.”
So it sounds to me like it may be something Depp's interested in doing, but it's by no means cast in stone yet.

If anyone has further info, please post it. :)

After some searching I have been unable to confirm that any such film is actually in the works. Even IMDB, which lists Depp's announced projects thru 2016, makes no mention of it.

The article states:

So it sounds to me like it may be something Depp's interested in doing, but it's by no means cast in stone yet.

If anyone has further info, please post it. :)

This project will probably be in development for a long time before it gets officially announced as a pending project. If there's no script yet, it could be a couple years before (and if) production begins. The rumor that Depp has anything in the works is good fodder for entertainment reporting though.

This project will probably be in development for a long time before it gets officially announced as a pending project. If there's no script yet, it could be a couple years before (and if) production begins. The rumor that Depp has anything in the works is good fodder for entertainment reporting though.
You've probably hit the nail right on the head there. The headline declaring it his "next film role" is a bit misleading, and it does look rather like a tabloid site.

But it did get people talking, even here. Whether it ever happens or not, it's a nice possibility to think about.

Frankly, I think Depp's way too handsome to play Formby. :eek:

I am really interested to see how this turns out, hopefully for better rather than for worse.

Maybe not your interest needle Daniel, but plenty of folks in the uke community have great respect for George Formby's playing and I'm sure one or two may even be interested in Johnny Depp! I sure hope this biopic come to pass, Johnny Depp is a real chameleon and could play almost anyone with aplomb.

Maybe not your interest needle Daniel, but plenty of folks in the uke community have great respect for George Formby's playing and I'm sure one or two may even be interested in Johnny Depp! I sure hope this biopic come to pass, Johnny Depp is a real chameleon and could play almost anyone with aplomb.

I agree, also eugene forgive my Okie ignorance but what is "aplomb"??

I agree, also eugene forgive my Okie ignorance but what is "aplomb"??

Depending on where you are, it is often a prune that hasn't dried up yet.

Other times, it is self-confidence.

In LA, it is probably something handled by your agent or the PR department.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom