PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Depp to play George Formby

Hippie Dribble
12-28-2013, 07:31 AM
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/357728/Johnny-Depp-honing-his-ukulele-skills-for-next-film-role

notgeorgeformby
12-28-2013, 07:37 AM
:wtf:

Can't see it somehow.

cigarfan
12-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Excellent! Great to hear that. I look forward to the film.

Lori
12-28-2013, 07:43 AM
I hope it is a good film. I wonder if he will try to resemble George?

–Lori

Uke Republic
12-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Interestingly we have been selling lots of banjoleles. Looking forward to the film. I love ol' Jack Sparrow

Gillian
12-28-2013, 08:06 AM
The article said Depp's got the Northern accent down. Should be interesting to hear him...I haven't heard an American actor yet that can imitate a convincing English accent..

As for the rags to riches story, according to the Frank Skinner documentary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ-7bYFmM18), Formby was always quite well-off.

Looking forward to seeing this!

The Big Kahuna
12-28-2013, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ee1v6hlok

Cornfield
12-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Can Johnny make a George face?

PhilUSAFRet
12-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Or will he look more like Tonto?

OldePhart
12-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Can Johnny make a George face?

He's not got the nose and teeth for it! :)

Seriously, though, I'm just not a big Depp fan. But then I almost never watch movies anymore, anyway. As for rags to riches being true or not, producers almost never get biographical films right, anyway (and if they did we'd probably discover how boring even famous person's lives mostly are). Still, if it's done well it could bring some love for the banjo uke and possibly ukes in general.

John

PeteyHoudini
12-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Very interesting, yet strange news. Hollywood must be digging deep for new movie ideas. I like Formby but a lot of his song lyrics ain't that politically kosher these days. It will be interesting. I'll rent or buy that movie for sure.

I guess it will mean more uke sales (a good thing!) and those daring where uke playing angels tread to fear by learning the Formby split-stroke. Indeed, I've already mastered it after a workshop here in Ottawa, Canada. The guy who taught me had went to the Blackpool annual event and learned the technique sans the YouTube tutorial confusion. hehehe

I wish everyone right now a Happy New Uke Year! hehe

Petey

itsme
12-28-2013, 12:07 PM
After some searching I have been unable to confirm that any such film is actually in the works. Even IMDB, which lists Depp's announced projects thru 2016, makes no mention of it.

The article states:

Our source explained: “He’s become a bit of a producer in recent times and is in a great position to get Formby’s story turned into a major movie.”
So it sounds to me like it may be something Depp's interested in doing, but it's by no means cast in stone yet.

If anyone has further info, please post it. :)

Bob Bledsoe
12-28-2013, 01:03 PM
After some searching I have been unable to confirm that any such film is actually in the works. Even IMDB, which lists Depp's announced projects thru 2016, makes no mention of it.

The article states:

So it sounds to me like it may be something Depp's interested in doing, but it's by no means cast in stone yet.

If anyone has further info, please post it. :)

This project will probably be in development for a long time before it gets officially announced as a pending project. If there's no script yet, it could be a couple years before (and if) production begins. The rumor that Depp has anything in the works is good fodder for entertainment reporting though.

itsme
12-28-2013, 01:58 PM
This project will probably be in development for a long time before it gets officially announced as a pending project. If there's no script yet, it could be a couple years before (and if) production begins. The rumor that Depp has anything in the works is good fodder for entertainment reporting though.
You've probably hit the nail right on the head there. The headline declaring it his "next film role" is a bit misleading, and it does look rather like a tabloid site.

But it did get people talking, even here. Whether it ever happens or not, it's a nice possibility to think about.

Frankly, I think Depp's way too handsome to play Formby. :o

electrauke
12-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I am really interested to see how this turns out, hopefully for better rather than for worse.

Dan Uke
12-28-2013, 03:13 PM
the interest needle barely moved.

Hippie Dribble
12-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Maybe not your interest needle Daniel, but plenty of folks in the uke community have great respect for George Formby's playing and I'm sure one or two may even be interested in Johnny Depp! I sure hope this biopic come to pass, Johnny Depp is a real chameleon and could play almost anyone with aplomb.

dismount
12-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Maybe not your interest needle Daniel, but plenty of folks in the uke community have great respect for George Formby's playing and I'm sure one or two may even be interested in Johnny Depp! I sure hope this biopic come to pass, Johnny Depp is a real chameleon and could play almost anyone with aplomb.

I agree, also eugene forgive my Okie ignorance but what is "aplomb"??

ksiegel
12-28-2013, 06:00 PM
I agree, also eugene forgive my Okie ignorance but what is "aplomb"??

Depending on where you are, it is often a prune that hasn't dried up yet.

Other times, it is self-confidence.

In LA, it is probably something handled by your agent or the PR department.

-Kurt

Gillian
12-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Depending on where you are, it is often a prune that hasn't dried up yet.

Other times, it is self-confidence.

In LA, it is probably something handled by your agent or the PR department.
-Kurt

:D good one, Kurt!

iamesperambient
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
:rofl:

thanks for the laugh, Kurt!

im curious to see if depp can play a banjolele
well enough to pull this off however im not a huge depp fan.

soupking
12-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Hey Jon, just chiming in to let you know that I'm interested in every single thing you've ever had to say and show us here on Ukulele Underground. Can't wait to see that Ono baritone in your hands on video. Additionally, awesome heads up on this Formby/Depp thing; perhaps after this movie release my wife will look at me in a different light as I storm around the house with a uke in tow. :cool:

Dan Uke
12-28-2013, 07:24 PM

haha...I know the uke community loves George and many love the banjo uke. Give me a biopic of Eddie Vedder any day!

iamesperambient
12-28-2013, 07:34 PM
haha...I know the uke community loves George and many love the banjo uke. Give me a biopic of Eddie Vedder any day!

i cant get past vedders 90's stone temple pilots era deep mumble voice( i hated pearl jam and all those kind of bands). really hate that style of music, never cared for him. I could care less if he plays uke or not just dont like his voice or him really.

Sorry to be a bugaboo not a big fan of formby's style either he was very talented but not really my thing. Jake and kimo hussey personally are my favorite uke players.

Hippie Dribble
12-28-2013, 07:59 PM
One of my faves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuH17oUe6g

notgeorgeformby
12-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Frankly, I think Depp's way too handsome to play Formby. :o

This was my first thought. Apologies to Depp fans, but I've never been convinced by his attempts at a British accent, and the Lancashire accent is one of the hardest to get right.

This sounds like a vanity project at best.

consitter
12-28-2013, 08:31 PM
This was my first thought. Apologies to Depp fans, but I've never been convinced by his attempts at a British accent, and the Lancashire accent is one of the hardest to get right.

This sounds like a vanity project at best.

I don't know what his accent is as Captain Jack Sparrow, but it seems spot on. Anybody know what it is, other than 'drunken pirate'? Yeah, this is off subject, but I wanna know.

notgeorgeformby
12-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't know what his accent is as Captain Jack Sparrow, but it seems spot on. Anybody know what it is, other than 'drunken pirate'? Yeah, this is off subject, but I wanna know.

He claimed to have based it on Keith Richards who is cockney. He also attempted a cockney accent in From Hell which was nearly as hysterical as Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

ETA Insightful article on Depp's latest movie roles. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10187515/Where-did-it-all-go-wrong-for-Johnny-Depp.html)

ukuleledaveey
12-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Wow can't believe Mr Depp would play that role, very interesting if true, and more exposure to the mainstream for the uke, as all UK ukers know when ever you mention you play uke the ignorant masses say "can you play when im cleaning windows" i would be interested in who would play his dominant controlling wife in the film, also apparently Mr Formby was a limited player, in the respect he hardly knew many chords he had several ukes or wok's (banjolele's) tuned in different keys, admittedly his right hand technique was extremely good and that is what made a difference to his playing.
Alos Keef Richards is Not a Cockney , he was born in Dartford ,Kent :)

notgeorgeformby
12-29-2013, 12:28 AM

He may have been, but he talks Cockney. You will find not all Cockneys are Cockneys. And in any case, Depp sounds more like Dick Van Dyke.

Reno Dave
12-29-2013, 04:52 AM
I wonder if the producers and directors of this movie ever considered Ralph Shaw to play the part of George. He's got the talent, accent, and can impersonate George very well. If you have ever seen his show ( A Tribute to George Formby) you would know what I mean. He is very good at what he does.

Captain America
12-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Never been a Depp fan: he tries just to hard to be cool, to actually BE cool. . .

Who knows how this will go?

I'm not sure if there's enough story there for a full movie.

Olarte
12-29-2013, 05:20 AM
While on this subject, check this rare video of The great Peter Sellers doing When I'm Cleaning windows... Nice strumming at the end!

http://youtu.be/SA_FLKHPR88

Lori
12-29-2013, 06:23 AM
I wonder if the producers and directors of this movie ever considered Ralph Shaw to play the part of George. He's got the talent, accent, and can impersonate George very well. If you have ever seen his show ( A Tribute to George Formby) you would know what I mean. He is very good at what he does.
Yes, Ralph does a great job with his George Formby tribute. Maybe he could be a consultant! Most of Hollywood would not be interested in making such a movie, but a Johnny Depp project might have the pull to make it happen.

–Lori

Gillian
12-29-2013, 07:24 AM
If Depp's pal, directorTim Burton is involved, Beryl will probably be played by Helena Bonham Carter.

OldePhart
12-29-2013, 08:04 AM
...In LA, it is probably something handled by your agent or the PR department.

-Kurt
Or treated by your doctor...

Shazzbot
12-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Regardless of whether you love or hate Depp, Formby, banjoleles, Vedder, puppies or Hollywood......
If this movie gets made, uke sales will take a significant jump..
Get ready all you luthiers.

OldePhart
12-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Wow ...as all UK ukers know when ever you mention you play uke the ignorant masses say "can you play when im cleaning windows"...

Trust me Daveey - it could be a lot worse - on this side of the pond they want to know if you can play "Tiptoe Through the Tulips"... :mad:

Actually, on those occasions that I am asked if I can play "Tiptoe..." I usually say "sure" - and then play a blues arrangement that I came up with for one of the seasons! LOL

Edit: Actually, it wasn't one of the seasons, it was before the seasons for a contest Mim put on.

John

Shazzbot
12-29-2013, 09:01 AM
I'd like to hear the olde phart version of tiptoe.

ukuleledaveey
12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
He may have been, but he talks Cockney. You will find not all Cockneys are Cockneys. And in any case, Depp sounds more like Dick Van Dyke.

:rulez:You have to be born within the sound of Bow bells to be a cockney, otherwise you are not nor will ever be a cockney, there are only true cockneys the rest are Mockneys :smileybounce:

the trouble is that a general accent has spread through the home counties, including Essex and Hertfordshire, i myself have been called a cockney w***er many times when in fact i am born and bred in Essex, I think it stems from the building of New Towns after the war and the re housing of those from the east end and other parts of London, the village i come from has lost its local accent my dads generation was the last to have it.

Habanera Hal
12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Isn't George Formby the former boxer that made all those "lean, mean, fat-burning machine" grills?:biglaugh:

Hippie Dribble
12-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Isn't George Formby the former boxer that made all those "lean, mean, fat-burning machine" grills?:biglaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXYpdqFovw

The Big Kahuna
12-29-2013, 06:52 PM

http://www.thebigkahuna.co.uk/gf.jpg

Tootler
12-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Trust me Daveey - it could be a lot worse - on this side of the pond they want to know if you can play "Tiptoe Through the Tulips"... :mad:

Actually, on those occasions that I am asked if I can play "Tiptoe..." I usually say "sure" - and then play a blues arrangement that I came up with for one of the seasons! LOL

Edit: Actually, it wasn't one of the seasons, it was before the seasons for a contest Mim put on.

John

That's much harder to do with George Formby songs as his were the originals.

When I started playing uke at a local folk club, I made it quite clear I did not "do" George Formby. It's not that I dislike him, quite the opposite, but he's just not my style.

Peterjens
12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Eugene Ukulele - Thanks for posting the George Formby video "Baby." Did a search for the tabs and found what you posted some time ago.
I'll surprise SWMBO tomorrow evening with my rendition of it.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?39086-quot-Baby-quot-George-Formby&highlight=BABY+GEORGE+FORMBY

notgeorgeformby
12-29-2013, 09:18 PM
:rulez:You have to be born within the sound of Bow bells to be a cockney, otherwise you are not nor will ever be a cockney, there are only true cockneys the rest are Mockneys :smileybounce:

the trouble is that a general accent has spread through the home counties, including Essex and Hertfordshire, i myself have been called a cockney w***er many times when in fact i am born and bred in Essex, I think it stems from the building of New Towns after the war and the re housing of those from the east end and other parts of London, the village i come from has lost its local accent my dads generation was the last to have it.
Alright, Estuary then if you want to nitpick. :p

notgeorgeformby
12-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Do you think he'll sing any of these?

http://youtu.be/MRL5kpgTiWY

consitter
12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Alright, Estuary then if you want to nitpick. :p

Now you, Ms notgeorgeformby, would be a hot commodity, here across the pond.

A woman with a Scottish brogue? Whooeee!! ;)

Ted4
12-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Johnny Depp????? The part should be played by BARRY BARMCAKE!!

Wicked
12-30-2013, 03:55 AM
For those wondering if Depp has the chops to play ukulele on the film - he has been an avid uke player longer than most of us on this forum. I have never heard a recording of his ukulele playing, but he played a fairly spot on rendition of Django Reinhardt's "Minor Swing" on a resonator guitar in one of his other films (and yes, it was his playing).... so I'm pretty sure that Formby style strumming shouldn't be outside of his capabilities.

Beyond that, I met him on the street one time, and he seemed to be a very amiable guy. I wouldn't consider myself a real fan, but he has crafted a career out of doing his own thing - so I give him plenty of credit for that. I'm not a big fan of Formby, either.... but I have to give him the same credit for doing his own thing.

Gillian
12-31-2013, 12:49 PM
If I was casting the role of Formby, I'd give it to Tim Blake Nelson, who played Delmer in "Brother, Where Art Thou?"

OldePhart
12-31-2013, 01:40 PM
If I was casting the role of Formby, I'd give it to Tim Blake Nelson, who played Delmer in "Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Yeah...he does kinda have the face for it, doan he? :)

JOhn

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah...he does kinda have the face for it, doan he? :)

JOhn

For the longest time I thought George Formby and Milton Berle were the same guy. I'm not convinced they weren't....

OldePhart
12-31-2013, 04:39 PM
For the longest time I thought George Formby and Milton Berle were the same guy. I'm not convinced they weren't....

Heh, heh. Brothers, at least!

DPO
01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Wow can't believe Mr Depp would play that role, very interesting if true, and more exposure to the mainstream for the uke, as all UK ukers know when ever you mention you play uke the ignorant masses say "can you play when im cleaning windows" i would be interested in who would play his dominant controlling wife in the film, also apparently Mr Formby was a limited player, in the respect he hardly knew many chords he had several ukes or wok's (banjolele's) tuned in different keys, admittedly his right hand technique was extremely good and that is what made a difference to his playing.

A limited player! I should be so limited.:D

Wicked
01-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Chuck has totally dated himself with that Milton Berle reference....

FormbyFanatic95
01-02-2014, 03:33 AM
As I am a huge George Formby fan, this to me is good and bad news.
The good:
We are finally getting a film based on George's life!
We get to see it on the big screen!
Popularise George Formby in the modern society.

The bad:
Johnny Depp (although he was good in Ed Wood)
If film goes well at the box office, then ukes will become more popular, therefore the prices will rise (just like with the Frank Skinner documentary)

Anyway I will go and see it definitely if it does get the go ahead!
If the

FormbyFanatic95
01-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Here is a Photoshopped image I made, using Depp from "Ed Wood":

PhilUSAFRet
01-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Ahhh, another great Formby tutorial to add to my list. Thanks for sharing.

gat
03-21-2014, 05:17 AM
At least Johnny Depp is to try the Lancashire accent,its not that hard I got mine sixty odd years ago,how hard can it be I was only a child after all !! They could have transfered George to America as they have done with the film "Frank" who was a Manchester based comedian/musician who now is played as an a American by Michael Fassbender.
Graham

pixiepurls
03-21-2014, 07:29 AM
For those wondering if Depp has the chops to play ukulele on the film - he has been an avid uke player longer than most of us on this forum. I have never heard a recording of his ukulele playing, but he played a fairly spot on rendition of Django Reinhardt's "Minor Swing" on a resonator guitar in one of his other films (and yes, it was his playing).... so I'm pretty sure that Formby style strumming shouldn't be outside of his capabilities.

Beyond that, I met him on the street one time, and he seemed to be a very amiable guy. I wouldn't consider myself a real fan, but he has crafted a career out of doing his own thing - so I give him plenty of credit for that. I'm not a big fan of Formby, either.... but I have to give him the same credit for doing his own thing.

I don't know who Formby is but I agree with you about J Depp. I think he's actually a brilliant actor and in his attempts to not be a "hollywood hunk" he's chosen to do some weird films that really didn't suite him. He's actually kind of brilliant though, I think he's a fantastic actor one of the best of our time. He's not scared to try something totally out there. He's not embarrassed to do really weird stuff to try to do something new and interesting. Just because's he's handsome doesn't mean he lacks depth... ehem excuse the pun :P

RichM
03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
I don't know who Formby is

http://www.memorabletv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/george-formby-2.jpg

"Oooh, mother... she don't know who I am. Didn't turn out so nice this time..."

OldePhart
03-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Hmmm...George Formby...ain't he that fella what hawks grills on late-night TV? :evilgrin:

FrankB
03-21-2014, 11:51 AM

That's the actor I that came to my mind immediately, but he's not the box office attraction that Depp is. Oh well, that's show biz.....

Hippie Dribble
03-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Hmmm...George Formby...ain't he that fella what hawks grills on late-night TV? :evilgrin:

LOL. Now this is funny, Rich Hall at his awesome best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXYpdqFovw

justinlcecil
03-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Always good to see someone from my hometown get work...even if he is already a famous actor. =)