Do you look at the fretboard during picking parts?

half the time i find myself staring at the frets even during strumming!

Ok. But there is nothing wrong with looking at the fretboard while picking - especially when you pratice. During my guitar education I had some lessons with quite famous Polish guitar teacher and he always told me to look at the fretboard because it helps to better analyze hand movement. I think it is also advisable to do that when performing - because all that stage fright sometimes can make strange things with your body and when you see whats happening you can better control your fingers.

That was just my 2 cents ...

after a few weeks learning the picking... not a problem.
but i normally do because... i dunno, something to do

Facial expressions can make or break your solos. I keep a lemon in my uke case at all times so I can do the B.B. King face when my solos need a little more feeling. :p

In all seriousness, I try to look at the fretboard but it doesn't do a lot for me. My two main ukes don't have a lot of fret markers (the Flea has none on the side), and the more I try to figure out what fret I'm playing at, the more I lose concentration and screw up. It's easier to go by feel.

most times, until I get really familiar with the music, then I can let go and focus more on what I'm feeling and put more emphasis on the vocal part or the different strings as im picking away

Top Bottom