Does this happen to you?

fowl

Reaction score
So last night I'm strummin my uke having a great time and then my old arthritic fingers start hurting. I do what I often do and turn the body of my Flea into a poor mans bongo set. I'm doing what I think is pretty good rhythm and my wife calls out, "You sound like a Beatnik coffeehouse". I came of age in the late 50's era so I take this as a compliment. Well she lets me know that it definitely is not and I get banished again to the room at the end of the hall.

I can't honestly say that I have ever heard your wife refer to me as sounding like a Beatnik coffeehouse. Then again, I often tune out extraneous noise.:D

Haven't heard you play bongo's, but I have heard folks bang on them that were under the illusion they had rythym!!!! LOL :cool:

I can't honestly say that I have ever heard your wife refer to me as sounding like a Beatnik coffeehouse. Then again, I often tune out extraneous noise.:D

I nominate this for post of the week!

Now, as to the original post: Let's lay aside for a moment the fact that many people think they can play percussion well than really can, and let's assume that you really are a rhythmic and percussive gift to mankind - there is still a common problem with many "improvised drums." Our brains have this habit of filling in the blanks and "hearing" what we intended to do rather than just faithfully interpreting signals from our ears. So, when we are beating on something improvised we may very well "hear" the intended "thump shtickity tap tap" but what people around us, who haven't the benefit of a direct connection to our brain, actually hear is something more like "thud thud thud thud".

John

I think you are probably right John. Like with most things in my life I go "thud".

... So, when we are beating on something improvised we may very well "hear" the intended "thump shtickity tap tap" but what people around us, who haven't the benefit of a direct connection to our brain, actually hear is something more like "thud thud thud thud".

John

Aye, as you've said it quite nicely, there's the rub:

The all too often frustrating difference between PERCEPTION and REALITY.

Like Icarus flying too close to the sun, I am often drawn close to this demarcation line between what I know in my soul to be true, and what everyone else around me believes to be true and if/when they are different, it can be a big challenge.

Maybe that's why I was always getting yelled at for making so much noise as a pre-teenager by tapping on everything around me incessantly, when to me, I was drumming out the songs in my head, which must have sounded like random and spastic knocking to everyone around me.

But on the topic - I find that if my hands get pain (I haven't yet been diagnosed with arthritis), and it feels like a tightness in the finger joints, it's often because my hands are cold(er).

I have found the best way for me to warm them up is by playing and strumming as vigorously as I can, for as long as I can, and try to push through the pain, and almost as if by centrifugal force, get more blood flowing, and therefore more oxygen flowing into my hands, which makes them warmer, and if I persist to this point, the pain has gone away. But then, I might actually have a different problem. Like edema or swelling due to poor circulation as per below.

I've recently tried these Dritz Crafter's Gloves I found on Amazon. They are compression gloves, in that they are brown-colored stretchy lycra cotton, fingerless gloves. By virtue of their composition, they seem to keep my hands warmer, as well as provide a light amount of squeeze support not unlike an ACE bandage. They cover the entire hand, up to the last joint before the finger tips.

It's a little weird to fret with gloves on, and barre chords sometimes buzz a little, but once you get used to them, and play for a while, it feels like your hands are actually getting a gentle massage.

Also, recently I 'found' in my junk drawer an 'egg' of Silly Putty, and while sitting at the computer or talking on the phone, I've taken to kneading it and shaping it over and over and over. Doing so, you can feel it get warm. I do this with both hands. Since doing this, it seems to have prevented the tightness feeling that I used to sometimes get in my hands from time to time.

Maybe try to get some Silly Putty or a softer rubber ball (like a Squash-ball, Raquet-ball or hand-ball) and when you are not playing the ukulele, squeeze it in different ways in order to exercise your fingers and get the blood flowing. Doing so might also increase your finger strength, speed and overall manual dexterity, which can only improve your ukulele playing. It's also a cheap way to test if you can benefit from direct physical therapy for your hands.

-Booli

Back in my days as a studio drummer, I once recorded an entire drum track tapping the front, back, and sides of an acoustic guitar. If you stay conscious of what Oldefart pointed out about your ears sometimes tricking you into hearing sounds that aren't there, you can actually get A LOT of different percussion sounds out of an acoustic instrument like a uke.

I often experiment with tapping percussion on the face of my uke while also playing chords and I must say I've achieved some cool effects that sound like two people playing at once. And yes, my fingers and hands do get tired these days, so having that makeshift percussion to fall back on when I'm entertaining family and friends on the uke can be a real lifesaver!

Well, if it were me.... I'd go to the room at the end of the hall and THEN go all beatnik. Then I'd be like, "Well NOW what'chu got to say, baaaaaaaaaaaby". (That's my Jake Blues imitation. )

However, maybe you just need to brush up on your routine a tad. You whip out this James Hill number on her and she will be swooning with admiration!

You should get real bongo drums. Preferably the bongo drum equivalent of a high-end production ukulele. It's improve your bongo playing immeasurably.

You can listen to eugene ukulele vids. He incorporates that into a bunch of his songs. I think it sounds very good.
Back in my days as a studio drummer, I once recorded an entire drum track tapping the front, back, and sides of an acoustic guitar. If you stay conscious of what Oldefart pointed out about your ears sometimes tricking you into hearing sounds that aren't there, you can actually get A LOT of different percussion sounds out of an acoustic instrument like a uke.

I often experiment with tapping percussion on the face of my uke while also playing chords and I must say I've achieved some cool effects that sound like two people playing at once. And yes, my fingers and hands do get tired these days, so having that makeshift percussion to fall back on when I'm entertaining family and friends on the uke can be a real lifesaver!

Well, if it were me.... I'd go to the room at the end of the hall and THEN go all beatnik. Then I'd be like, "Well NOW what'chu got to say, baaaaaaaaaaaby". (That's my Jake Blues imitation. )

However, maybe you just need to brush up on your routine a tad. You whip out this James Hill number on her and she will be swooning with admiration!

I was just about to tab out and post this very link. Glad you saved me the trouble, Wagster.

Many feel the same whem playing the ukulele with a great video, cd, radio or great player.....LOL and everyone cries foul..... :)

I nominate this for post of the week!

Now, as to the original post: Let's lay aside for a moment the fact that many people think they can play percussion well than really can, and let's assume that you really are a rhythmic and percussive gift to mankind - there is still a common problem with many "improvised drums." Our brains have this habit of filling in the blanks and "hearing" what we intended to do rather than just faithfully interpreting signals from our ears. So, when we are beating on something improvised we may very well "hear" the intended "thump shtickity tap tap" but what people around us, who haven't the benefit of a direct connection to our brain, actually hear is something more like "thud thud thud thud".

John

Thanks for the nomination. Any seconds?

As for the brain filling in the blanks dynamic, it is even more apparent when the subject is singing along with ear buds plugged into an mp3 player. Certain local jurisdictions in the midwest have ordinances against public flogging of an otherwise respectable song.

I was just about to tab out and post this very link. Glad you saved me the trouble, Wagster.

You bet. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for ya! :)

Ya know, my wife has never complained about the noise I make via the ukulele, but she did let me know once that if she EVER heard the ukulized version of Bohemian Rhapsody ever again that "I'd be missing some Koa". Mind you, I've never played the song myself. Ever! But you better believe I removed those notes from my fretboard anyway so Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn't accidently fall out my uke. (I also called Jake and told him it would be a good idea to play that "buttercup" tune for awhile instead of BR. He nodded vigorously. He values Koa.)

...Also, recently I 'found' in my junk drawer an 'egg' of Silly Putty, and while sitting at the computer or talking on the phone, I've taken to kneading it and shaping it over and over and over. Doing so, you can feel it get warm. I do this with both hands. Since doing this, it seems to have prevented the tightness feeling that I used to sometimes get in my hands from time to time.

If you know a physical therapist or just have a good medical supply house in town get one of the "worry bags" they sell. It is basically something like silly putty inside of a slick fabric bag. The bag keeps your fingers from picking up smell from the putty and also holds the putty inside in a firmer shape instead of letting it mash out into thin strips the way putty alone tends to. These are excellent for building hand strength and with much less chance of injury than with tennis balls or spring devices because the putty bag doesn't push back.

John

Just this morning at rehearsal something happened that reminded me of something else that is applicable to this discussion. In addition to your brain fooling you into thinking you're getting different sounds from an improvised "drum" when you really aren't - there is also the simple case that even drums need to be tuned. So, even if you are getting different sounds if they are not at meaningful intervals they will still sound like just noise to anyone who isn't privy to your brain's magic.

This morning our drummer (who is very good, BTW) was warming up. He has five toms and he was doing running rolls across them when I pointed to the next to largest and said, "that one's not right." He sighed and looked at me for a moment and finally said something like, "yeah, it's a bit flat but nobody but you would notice" and pulled out his drum key to tighten it up.

So, I would say that unless you have a good enough ear for intervals to tune a drum set (or at least to tell when one drum out of a set is not "on") then it would probably be best to avoid attempting "pickup" percussion on improvised "drums." Otherwise, we're back to that thing where even if your rhythm is spot on your efforts stand a very good chance of just being noise to others.

(BTW - James was right in that most people really wouldn't have noticed the flat drum and two or three years ago I really wouldn't have noticed it myself. But, a few years of playing instruments that intonate very nearly perfectly has vastly improved my ear when the previous twenty years of playing instruments with poorer intonation did nothing for it. So, at the risk of yet again beating a dead horse - if you want your ear to improve then play often and play only instruments that intonate correctly!)

John

Last edited:
So, I would say that unless you have a good enough ear for intervals to tune a drum set (or at least to tell when one drum out of a set is not "on") then it would probably be best to avoid attempting "pickup" percussion on improvised "drums." Otherwise, we're back to that thing where even if your rhythm is spot on your efforts stand a very good chance of just being noise to others.

Your last line is the kicker. ANY drumming can be "just noise" to some people. Tuning, Intervals nor dynamic rhythm would change that. Lets ignore those folks for the moment.

A rhythmic drumbeat is likely mans first ever means of musical expression and is deeply ingrained in our souls. Certainly, drummers were laying down powerful backbeats long before anyone ever coined the term "middle c".

It's all about context. A drum kit is an evolved instrument and being in tune is a necessary part of that evolution. But a rhythm can stand on it's own and doesn't need a melody to make it musical.

This video is a perfect example of that. If you cannot connect with it's rhythm, then I refer you to paragraph one.

Bottom line: Do not deny your natural urges to go "beatnik" on your ukulele. It's who we are.

BTW - In an effort to stay on topic. I do hope you find some relief for your hands and wish I could offer some useful advice. I have suffered through hand cramps many, many times in the past and feel your pain, literally. Until then, give your "beatnik" a voice no matter which room it may be in!

Last edited:
BTW v2.0 - I just had to toss this clip in the mix too. It soothes my soul and cracks me up. (The beatnik inside me thinks I should be watching Dr. Phil videos instead, but good grief. He has NO rhythm whatsoever.)

If you know a physical therapist or just have a good medical supply house in town get one of the "worry bags" they sell. ...

Hi John,

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out - maybe Amazon has them?

-Booli

My wife has arthritis in her fingers. She designs and constructs high zoot women's clothes and frequently hand stitches certain elements of her projects. That detailed work sometimes exacerbates the arthritis. She gets significant relief in her fingers by alternating the application of Traumeel gel and Arnicare gel. Both have slightly different anti inflammatory properties and rotating between the two seems to offer real and continous relief.

Top Bottom