Song Help Request George Formby Songbook

JoeJazz2000

Reaction score
I was warned that the book was difficult to navigate, and that it was not a method book, but I ordered it anyway. Naturally the first song I checked out was When I'm Cleaning Windows. Setting aside that the book is made up of reprints of old sheet music, British-style with chord symbols BELOW that staff, often confusingly aligning with the chord grid on the next line, and that this arrangement calls for D-tuning, it seems the song isn't even in the key Formby used.

The book calls for the key of G (in D tuning), so the chords are key of F forms. The U.K. players demonstrating the tune seem to play in C, and Formby, in the movie clip, seems to as well. The F shapes produce a workable arrangement, but I'd like to learn Formby'e arrangement and solo. Does anyone know the more usual key? Is it C?

If this song is not in the "right" key, what about the others? Anyone familiar with this book?

Thanks,

Joe

I vaguely recall George's wife tuned his instruments and they were up a half a tone. There C would be B. I also bought the book and was very disappointed with the layout and key the sons were in. But they may have been the original key. If you are a purest then you would prefer the songs in the original key. Bruce

Thanks for the insights, Bruce. I guess when I think about it, what I'm interested in is the implied key, the chord shapes used. I'm no singer, so the actual key doesn't matter to me. But, I DO want to learn the solo, so when applying Formby techniques, the chord forms matter. I should add, the key of F forms are in a correct progression for accompanying the song, and work pretty well.

I have the song book too, but there are better arrangements of some tunes online. I am still looking for vintage song sheets from Formby....

Hi Ian,
I checked the George Formby Society website and it shows a method book, How To Play George Formby Ukulele Solos, and several songbooks. I'll ask here, or in another thread if needed, whether the book is helpful to learning Formby techniques and the solos? Any GFS members out there? Anyone? I'm tempted to order it anyway. It's BP22.50, including postage.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:
Top Bottom