Week 98 - I Want My MTV!

29moons

Reaction score

I Want My MTV!

Week 98’s theme is - songs from the hey day of MTV - from August 1st 1981 - 1989.

The song had to have been made into a video that was played on MTV between 1981 and 1989.

That pretty much clears up all the years of the 80's since most popular songs from 1980 were reborn again with a video. As long you can prove to me that the video was played on MTV between that time, you're good. It can't be a song that did not have a video.

Remember, a lot of older bands at the time made come backs with videos that aired during that time.
Examples include, The Monkees (remember Monkees Marathons that showed all the episodes? Well, hat qualifies any song they did on the show or any songs from "HEAD"). The movie La Bamba came out in 1987 so you can do LaBamba. Slade had a big comeback in the 80’s - Run Runaway or Cum On Feel The Noise with a video made by Quiet Riot in 1983, Steve Miller (Abrcadabra.) etc.

Requirements
OK, we've been doing this season thing now for almost two years, so I thought I'd change it up a little bit. MTV wasn't just about music, it was also about visuals, bringing the music to life.

SO! You DO NOT have to appear in your video, Gnarly! That's right Spicoli, I don't care if you're in it or not, just be sure that the ukulele is the main instrument in the song. I only ask that you post a title at the beginning that states something like - "Week 98", or "I Want My MTV!", etc.

Here's something crazy too. (What? There's more?) In order to focus on the video, you can do a song that you have already recorded, either for another season or maybe a song you recorded previously for something else. That's right free thinker, that means you don't even have to play the ukulele this week. "BLASPHEMER!" I'm ok now, just focus on the video.

Multi-tracking is accepted and encouraged but not mandatory.

Record a cool song or pull one from the archives, then make a cool video for it. Don't worry about playing live for the video. Lip synch, play air-uke, dance about with your kids or just do a montage of different clips or pictures. It's all about the video.

If you need ideas on montages you can check out my videos for "Night Swimming" or "After Hours" or you can always just search MTV videos with a year on youtube to get other ideas..

As usual Ukulele front and center

Because this week is more focusing on the video portion which can take time, I am just taking one entry per Seasonista.

No bonus videos. Any bonus video ideas can be posted on the "Misfits" thread.

Please, as a courtesy to Electrauke do not post any videos until after Midnight Sunday Hawaiian time. Hopefully it will take a little bit for the videos to come streaming in as they need to be created first.

Prizes:
1st place chooses prize and so on.

"Say hello to my little friend" Tee

An awesome Stein! Shipped wherever.

My latest Christmas CD of great ukulele songs including one by me.

Bonus considerations for anything that makes me smile and wax nostalgic.

Here's some help on making montages: First I scour the web for the images. I bring up Windows Live Movie Maker project and lay down my wav or mp3 file of the song. I then place the pics in the timeline. Each is up for about 5 seconds, maybe a little longer. Then I work on the animations (transitions) so that the pics fade in and out. Lastly, give each pic a Pan and zoom, I switch them up so one photo moves sideways, another zooms out, etc. I try to sync them as best as I can.

Entries

Last edited:
Of course, someone just has to do Money for Nothing. :iwant:.....

Don't look at me, though!

OK I'm not into this video editing stuff.
But I had good intentions. The official 1983 Mad World video by Tears for Fears featured a guy sitting / standing at a window and singing the song.
So this is me standing at a window and miming the song. My version is more like the Gary Jules cover and is done on my bari with a recorder track as well. Done in GarageBand.

Here is my entry for this season. I recorded this in Garageband with multiple tracks of my Epiphone Ukulele (two track have some effects on it to get more guitar like sounds), my Samick Fretless P Bass and I used my new Meinl Rainmaker. I have been trying out the new version of iMovie, and this is the result, a sort of a lyrics video (The U2 video is totally different just so you know it ;)). This is New Years Day by U2.

Some info from the original video done by U2 (You can see it here: http://vimeo.com/59277430 if you like) on Wikipedia:
The video was one of their first to see heavy rotation on MTV. It was filmed in Sälen, Sweden in December 1982 and directed by Meiert Avis.

Last edited:
Nongdam! Great to see you. That's a great request but whatever Eric wants to do to is good with me. I hope that you can get something posted this week too.

This is so you Eric!! Can I make a request? Blue Monday Remix by New Order...Perfect song for multi-tracking!! HAHA

Tootler, that would be great. I'm looking forward to whatever you post but you were another that I figured this would be in your wheelhouse.

Of course, someone just has to do Money for Nothing. :iwant:.....
Don't look at me, though!

This is exactly what I'm talking about! Great video with a simple concept that's very effective. Great version of this song that sounds like it could be on an album. I also like the mirror in the back that shows your reflection. I also like the summer scene there reflected in the window, pretty cold here in New Mexico. Well done, Sir.

OK I'm not into this video editing stuff.
But I had good intentions. The official 1983 Mad World video by Tears for Fears featured a guy sitting / standing at a window and singing the song.
So this is me standing at a window and miming the song. My version is more like the Gary Jules cover and is done on my bari with a recorder track as well. Done in GarageBand.

Xommen, Well done. I'm really surprised that you picked a U2 song, that was unexpected... OK, I totally expected a U2 song from, but I was pretty sure that this was in your wheelhouse too. Well done with the montage. What I like about these videos as was pointed out during Ginny's week is that we get a different perspective of each player when we hear them without seeing them. Great multi-track of a great U2 song. I remember this video well.

Here is my entry for this season. I recorded this in Garageband with multiple tracks of my Epiphone Ukulele (two track have some effects on it to get more guitar like sounds), my Samick Fretless P Bass and I used my new Meinl Rainmaker. I have been trying out the new version of iMovie, and this is the result, a sort of a lyrics video (The U2 video is totally different just so you know it ;)). This is New Years Day by U2.

Some info from the original video done by U2 (You can see it here: http://vimeo.com/59277430 if you like) on Wikipedia:
The video was one of their first to see heavy rotation on MTV. It was filmed in Sälen, Sweden in December 1982 and directed by Meiert Avis.

Great theme, bring forth thy mighty machinery techno heads ............'erm can I multitrack playing the spoons on me knees ? Lol

98th season entry 1:

I started looking for a song to do this morning and when I saw this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj7OJeyhq2Q

I had to do this:

I was all alone to do the video shoot. I decided against the lay the audio down and then lip sync the video for I didn't have time. I set up the camera and shot the song in the back seat (character one). Then I did a bunch of vids of me (the driver, character two, with jacket on and different hat). I had to extract the audio of the music video as an MP3 in order to have a separate audio track to sync all the videos with. I Imported all the videos and audio into Pinnacle which I think has a clumsy way of splicing video. It is the most adventurous I've been with video editing. Thanks 29moons for the challenge.

Last edited:
was really looking forward to the techno side of this week, I have been trying like billy o to get a slide show from our w/e away in france on the vid windows 8 movie maker alas no luck so I will just post vid when it go's on to you tube, sick as a parrot

Very clever video, Rex! :) Love it.

Don't think I'll be adding one of mine to this theme. We were never lucky enough to get one of our band's songs on MTV ;)

Have a good week you guys! Meanwhile, I just put in a very late entry to the Mexico week. You can hear it here:

Top Bottom