Signed George Formby Uke

axenstar7899

Reaction score
hi, i was given a George Formby banjo uke by a family member whose father was given it by the man himself. Here are a few photo's.
I dont know if its worth anything as im more of a guitar man myself.image (2).jpgimage (3).jpgimage (4).jpgimage (5).jpgimage (6).jpg

I can't help with the value without some research but I wouldn't let it go until you have some legit assessments. Looks to be in good condition and definitely has value beyond original cost.

I can't help with the value without some research but I wouldn't let it go until you have some legit assessments. Looks to be in good condition and definitely has value beyond original cost.

try to contact jim beloff of flea market music he is a true expert on ukes
he prob could assist you to some degree or point you in a direction.

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/Default.asp

And if all else fails, there's always PAWN STARS and you might even get on TV! hehe

Petey

Your banjo uke appears to be Dallas Model B; It's definitely a Dallas, although I can't say definitively from your photos that it's a Model B, but it appears to be. Dallas ukes were endorsed by George Formby, and he did own one of the higher-end models, although he was much more likely to be found playing an Abbott or a Ludwig. The Dallas models sell frequently on ebay UK. The lower-end models are desirable although not terribly valuable and there are quite a lot of them in circulation. The Formby signature on the vellum is stamped on and is not a true autograph.

Here's a great source of info on Dallas banjo ukes:

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.taylor/Page_26_dallas_banjo_ukulele.htm

Edit to add: on ebay UK, the Style B appears to be going in the ~ £200.00 range.

Last edited:
Time to call Johnny Depp.

Time to call Johnny Depp.

Yeah definitely, with the movie and all. Not sure if you are looking to sell it but if you are please contact me. Hope you find out all that you want to know about that amazing uke!

Thanks so much for your comments and general kindness for looking into it.. i will research the links provided on value, and look into the model info.. as regards the signature after looking at one of the websites it appears the D model has the stamped signature, Im pretty sure my B model is a pencil signature, which fits my family members description of how it was acquired, all the same i will look into it.
not sure yet im ready to sell it just yet but will post again and contact those interested if i decide to in the near future.
Thanks

Last edited:
great research thank you, i checked out the webpage and was most helpful. As for the autograph, the webpage doesn't mention a stamped autograph on the B model, only the D model and on my uke im pretty sure the signature is in pencil, i will check this out though..
Anyway thanks again.. I will use the opportunity to learn to play it too.. :)

I had an acquaintance go on pawn stars with something a lot less cool, they paid his way to Vegas. If you have the time it might be an adventure you want to look into. They could validate your signature and if it all works out you could go on a wild, drunken gambling spree, loose your home and end up on an episode of Cops (is that still on?). Oh to be young again!! Cool Uke!!

great research thank you, i checked out the webpage and was most helpful. As for the autograph, the webpage doesn't mention a stamped autograph on the B model, only the D model and on my uke im pretty sure the signature is in pencil, i will check this out though..
Anyway thanks again.. I will use the opportunity to learn to play it too.. :)

If the signature is genuine, it would add dramatically to the provenance of the uke. Formby autographs can sell in the $100-200 range.

I had an uncle with a can of linseed oil signed by Formby at a furniture convention and, frankly, I doubt it's worth even five doll hairs.

Although Formby's popular at Lowes and Home Depot, I seriously doubt those customers are buying banjo ukes.

Just my two cents.

Top Bottom