Five more days on Oahu, and I have a dilemma

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't been active on the forums for a while now, but I suddenly need some advice. I'm here in Honolulu with my family until Friday. For years, I've wanted a K-brand ukulele but never wanted to buy one unless I could play it first.

Now that I'm here, I've been by a few different stores. The problem is, these instruments aren't cheap, and to get one I'd have to sell off my Loprinzi solid koa tenor ukulele. I love the way some of these ukuleles (especially the Koalohas) sound, but I'm not sure if it's silly of me to sell a handmade, solid koa instrument from a respected builder just because my trip won't feel complete if I leave without a Hawaiian ukulele.

What do you guys think? They're all great instruments, but I'm not sure.

That's reason enough. The great sound and playability are bonuses (not that your Loprinzi isn't a fine instrument).

Haha, it is and it isn't. I'm having a great trip and I almost feel ungrateful to be so fixated on buying another instrument instead of enjoying everything else there is here. Thanks for the advice!

Do you really have to sell your LoPrinzi or do you feel like you have to in order to justify the expense? If the latter, why do you have to justify it?

Do you really have to sell your LoPrinzi or do you feel like you have to in order to justify the expense? If the latter, why do you have to justify it?

I could technically keep both. I'm in college but my parents have offered to buy me one while I'm here. I don't feel comfortable doing that, because they help me so much already with school and bills and that's a big purchase. I'd prefer to buy it myself if possible.

What do you guys think? They're all great instruments, but I'm not sure.

Have you brought your Loprinzi with you so you can compare the two side by side? Without that comparison i'd be hard pressed switching from a uke i know i really like to one i think i would like. Very tough call though, i feel for you, enjoying the sun in Hawaii and looking at ukes all day and everything, must be difficult ;-)
Bill

Maybe your parents want to buy the new ukulele for you.

Have you brought your Loprinzi with you so you can compare the two side by side? Without that comparison i'd be hard pressed switching from a uke i know i really like to one i think i would like. Very tough call though, i feel for you, enjoying the sun in Hawaii and looking at ukes all day and everything, must be difficult ;-)
Bill

I didn't, unfortunately. I left it at school and I don't go back until after the break. But yes, I can't complain one bit!

Just tell your parents you want to go to the Kalihi Zippys in a cab to try their chili......then walk up the street to Koaloha..ha ha

Perfect, all of us (even my picky sister) love chili. We're from Texas, after all. Thanks a lot!

Maybe your parents want to buy the new ukulele for you.

Haha, that's what they say. They do, but between college and bills and everything I feel like I already accept so much from them. I'll have to think about it.

Amazing thing about parents, they actually get pleasure out of doing things for their children. You should let them.

I bought a blemished KoAloha soprano. Best 'uke deal ever. Relax and eat some shave ice. Offer to pay back your folks. Don't sell your Loprinzi.

They do, but between college and bills and everything I feel like I already accept so much from them. I'll have to think about it.

They sound like good people, and in acknowledging this, you sound like good people too. Good people deserve to be happy. If buying the uke will make them happy, and if accepting the uke will make you happy, then it sounds like a win for all involved. But if an emotion other than "happy" plays into it, maybe not.

Let your parents have the joy of buying you a uke.

On a five day trip, I'll eat the chili, burritos, and rice at least 3 times! that's the first place i stop by.

Last edited:
Accept their generosity and if it will make you feel better, feel free to send me your Loprinzi. PM me for my address. ;-)

On a more serious note, the fact that you're even giving it a second thought is quite a statement given the sense of entitlement that runs so prevalent today.

And on a second serious note, there are a couple of incredibly sweet Loprinzi koas in the Flea Market marketplace. From everything I've read, the craftsmanship and sound are on par with some of the very best. So maybe if you do decide to let them purchase one for you, consider an alternate size to what you have now?

Whatever you decide, "good on ya".

If you can keep your Loprinzi, and get a new one, take the opportunity to act now and have nice instruments you will treasure. Believe me, parents who offer such gifts really mean it. You will have plenty of occasions in the future to do good things for them.

–Lori

I agree with those who say your parents do want to buy you a ukulele. I like to show my daughter I love her by doing things for her, like buying her things I know she will truly enjoy and appreciate.

Also, I think buying a soprano or concert would be a good idea. I know if I were in your shoes, I'd be on the hunt for a Kamaka pineapple. But if you do buy a tenor and decide not to keep both, you won't have a problem selling either a K brand or a LoPrinzi.

If they have the capacity and the willingness to buy you a (roughly) thousand dollar ukulele that you're going to love forever... I don't see the problem. You could always offer to split it with them.

Top Bottom