PDA

View Full Version : Five more days on Oahu, and I have a dilemma

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been active on the forums for a while now, but I suddenly need some advice. I'm here in Honolulu with my family until Friday. For years, I've wanted a K-brand ukulele but never wanted to buy one unless I could play it first.

Now that I'm here, I've been by a few different stores. The problem is, these instruments aren't cheap, and to get one I'd have to sell off my Loprinzi solid koa tenor ukulele. I love the way some of these ukuleles (especially the Koalohas) sound, but I'm not sure if it's silly of me to sell a handmade, solid koa instrument from a respected builder just because my trip won't feel complete if I leave without a Hawaiian ukulele.

What do you guys think? They're all great instruments, but I'm not sure.

Kayak Jim
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
... because my trip won't feel complete if I leave without a Hawaiian ukulele.

That's reason enough. The great sound and playability are bonuses (not that your Loprinzi isn't a fine instrument).

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 01:19 PM
That's reason enough. The great sound and playability are bonuses (not that your Loprinzi isn't a fine instrument).

Haha, it is and it isn't. I'm having a great trip and I almost feel ungrateful to be so fixated on buying another instrument instead of enjoying everything else there is here. Thanks for the advice!

mm stan
12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
You can get a second from the koaloha factory and keep both....he he

katysax
12-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Do you really have to sell your LoPrinzi or do you feel like you have to in order to justify the expense? If the latter, why do you have to justify it?

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Do you really have to sell your LoPrinzi or do you feel like you have to in order to justify the expense? If the latter, why do you have to justify it?

I could technically keep both. I'm in college but my parents have offered to buy me one while I'm here. I don't feel comfortable doing that, because they help me so much already with school and bills and that's a big purchase. I'd prefer to buy it myself if possible.

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 01:36 PM
You can get a second from the koaloha factory and keep both....he he

May have to look into that, if I can find a way to drag the rest of my family there...:)

billten
12-29-2013, 01:44 PM
What do you guys think? They're all great instruments, but I'm not sure.

Have you brought your Loprinzi with you so you can compare the two side by side? Without that comparison i'd be hard pressed switching from a uke i know i really like to one i think i would like. Very tough call though, i feel for you, enjoying the sun in Hawaii and looking at ukes all day and everything, must be difficult ;-)
Bill

stevepetergal
12-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Don't do it.

mm stan
12-29-2013, 02:04 PM
May have to look into that, if I can find a way to drag the rest of my family there...:)

Just tell your parents you want to go to the Kalihi Zippys in a cab to try their chili......then walk up the street to Koaloha..ha ha

hmgberg
12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Maybe your parents want to buy the new ukulele for you.

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Have you brought your Loprinzi with you so you can compare the two side by side? Without that comparison i'd be hard pressed switching from a uke i know i really like to one i think i would like. Very tough call though, i feel for you, enjoying the sun in Hawaii and looking at ukes all day and everything, must be difficult ;-)
Bill

I didn't, unfortunately. I left it at school and I don't go back until after the break. But yes, I can't complain one bit!

Just tell your parents you want to go to the Kalihi Zippys in a cab to try their chili......then walk up the street to Koaloha..ha ha

Perfect, all of us (even my picky sister) love chili. We're from Texas, after all. Thanks a lot!

Maybe your parents want to buy the new ukulele for you.

Haha, that's what they say. They do, but between college and bills and everything I feel like I already accept so much from them. I'll have to think about it.

katysax
12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Amazing thing about parents, they actually get pleasure out of doing things for their children. You should let them.

Peterjens
12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I bought a blemished KoAloha soprano. Best 'uke deal ever. Relax and eat some shave ice. Offer to pay back your folks. Don't sell your Loprinzi.

janeray1940
12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
They do, but between college and bills and everything I feel like I already accept so much from them. I'll have to think about it.

They sound like good people, and in acknowledging this, you sound like good people too. Good people deserve to be happy. If buying the uke will make them happy, and if accepting the uke will make you happy, then it sounds like a win for all involved. But if an emotion other than "happy" plays into it, maybe not.

Dan Uke
12-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Let your parents have the joy of buying you a uke.

On a five day trip, I'll eat the chili, burritos, and rice at least 3 times! that's the first place i stop by.

Ukulele Eddie
12-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Accept their generosity and if it will make you feel better, feel free to send me your Loprinzi. PM me for my address. ;-)

On a more serious note, the fact that you're even giving it a second thought is quite a statement given the sense of entitlement that runs so prevalent today.

And on a second serious note, there are a couple of incredibly sweet Loprinzi koas in the Flea Market marketplace. From everything I've read, the craftsmanship and sound are on par with some of the very best. So maybe if you do decide to let them purchase one for you, consider an alternate size to what you have now?

Whatever you decide, "good on ya".

Lori
12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
If you can keep your Loprinzi, and get a new one, take the opportunity to act now and have nice instruments you will treasure. Believe me, parents who offer such gifts really mean it. You will have plenty of occasions in the future to do good things for them.

–Lori

wayfarer75
12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
I agree with those who say your parents do want to buy you a ukulele. I like to show my daughter I love her by doing things for her, like buying her things I know she will truly enjoy and appreciate.

Also, I think buying a soprano or concert would be a good idea. I know if I were in your shoes, I'd be on the hunt for a Kamaka pineapple. But if you do buy a tenor and decide not to keep both, you won't have a problem selling either a K brand or a LoPrinzi.

grahamdh
12-29-2013, 04:07 PM
If they have the capacity and the willingness to buy you a (roughly) thousand dollar ukulele that you're going to love forever... I don't see the problem. You could always offer to split it with them.

Tonya
12-29-2013, 04:16 PM
I'll echo the, "Hey, your folks love you; they want to buy this for you to remember the trip and them," opinion. However, here are two additional points:

--Buy it NOW, don't drag it out for the next five days. You'll be able to put the angst/excitement/pressure of buying behind you and truly enjoy the rest of the trip. Your folks will also enjoy seeing you play it lots while *in* Hawaii and that will add to their joy. Serenade them on your hotel lanai as your special thank you and give Mom a plumeria lei as you do so (inexpensive, but oh-so-fragrant).

--If it makes you feel better about things, tell your folks that if you ever sell the ukulele you'll give them the money you sell it for. That way it would be an "investment" of sorts for them--even though that's not why they're getting it for you.

Now, tell us what you did!

Bumgardner
12-29-2013, 04:41 PM
As a parent I have to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Get a nice K brand uke while you are on the island and enjoy your stay!

rem50
12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I can understand the dilemma. I love the KoAloha neck and the LoPrinzi neck. They are great instruments. I admire your respect for what your parents do for you. I think you should go to the factory, play a bunch of the ukes available and see the consistency of the KoAloha sound. Later you can order from them with confidence without having to play in person.

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I might check out some shops tomorrow. If I do get anything, it'll be either a concert or a soprano.

dirtiestkidever
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
I would go for a KoAloha factory second (concert if possible) and go to the factory itself. I have a factory second KoAloha soprano. What an amazing value. Have a great trip.

pwcgecko
12-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd focus on school and work first. Then when your out of school and funds are less of a dilema, then you can buy what your heart wants.

dalamaricus
12-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't sell an instrument I know I like, unless I was sure that I liked its replacement more. Also, do your parents know how much a K-brand costs? If so then they might have more money than you realize! Take them up on their offer, or split the cost with them, and pay them back by doing well in school.

consitter
12-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Don't do it.

Killjoy .

ukulelearp
12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
I would go for a KoAloha factory second (concert if possible) and go to the factory itself. I have a factory second KoAloha soprano. What an amazing value. Have a great trip.

I'm looking into that. A factory second could be a good compromise.

I wouldn't sell an instrument I know I like, unless I was sure that I liked its replacement more. Also, do your parents know how much a K-brand costs? If so then they might have more money than you realize! Take them up on their offer, or split the cost with them, and pay them back by doing well in school.

That's my exact issue! But yes, they do know the price. I know they can pay for it, but like I said I feel like a bit of a punk accepting so much, haha.

Often the nicest way to deal with a nice gift is to accept it with grace and make sure you enjoy it properly, especially a gift from your parents.
Of course you may not need to buy a new ukulele either, there is sure to be some good used ones about, its just a matter of finding them. You may even meet some nice locals in the process. Maybe someone who knows more about the used market on Oahu than I do could send you a PM to help you get a start.

Everyone here has been extremely friendly. I've received a few really helpful PMs. If anyone else has any advice they want to send my way I'd really appreciate it!

Kayak Jim
12-30-2013, 01:32 AM
That's my exact issue! But yes, they do know the price. I know they can pay for it, but like I said I feel like a bit of a punk accepting so much, haha.

Didn't know you weren't buying the uke yourself (or you were "buying" it with your parents' money)! In that case, I change my response from "go for it" to "stick with your Loprinzi". Work hard, save some money, then go to Hawaii and buy yourself a special uke. THAT's satisfaction!

teruterubouzu
12-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Accept your parent's gift. It will make for lovely memories.

The KoAloha factory second was a great suggestion.

vanflynn
12-30-2013, 03:10 AM
If you think the money will really be an issue, for you internally or amongst family, drive up to HMS and get a Pono. Once the fam sees all the beautiful ukes they each might want one!

Captain America
12-30-2013, 05:45 AM
It's true. Parents get satisfaction from helping their kids most of the time. I would point out that I have sold stuff on eBay just to get rid of it, to get it out of my life, out from underfoot. When you buy things, they tend to accumulate (recall Thoreau here?)

ukulelearp
12-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Didn't know you weren't buying the uke yourself (or you were "buying" it with your parents' money)! In that case, I change my response from "go for it" to "stick with your Loprinzi". Work hard, save some money, then go to Hawaii and buy yourself a special uke. THAT's satisfaction!
I do work and have "my own money," but obviously there's a little overlap there.

It's true. Parents get satisfaction from helping their kids most of the time. I would point out that I have sold stuff on eBay just to get rid of it, to get it out of my life, out from underfoot. When you buy things, they tend to accumulate (recall Thoreau here?)

True. I'll have to look and see if I should really keep all the ones I don't play as much anymore.

kmac66
12-30-2013, 06:26 AM
I hope you can at least make it to the Koaloha factory while you're there. I didnt start playing uke til after my trip to Oahu. It bums me out to think we drove right past the factory a couple times and didin't know what we were missing. D'oh!

SailingUke
12-30-2013, 06:27 AM
I bought a ukulele I did not need when I was in Hilo on vacation.
Every time I play it great memories of my trip return.

rubber necker
12-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Is this your parents first trip to Hawaii?
they must of saved for the vacation,so my take is,since you already have a beautiful Koa LoPrenzi that you like,soundwise, just keep it you will have many more chances to visit Hawaii and buy a new ukulele

give your parents the vacation they have been dreaming about,let them have a great dinner at a super nice restaurant that they will always remember

Olarte
12-30-2013, 06:39 AM
IF they truly offered to get it for you and they can, as a parent I would say go for it. They must appreciate the gift of music and are giving you the tools to share music with others.

If you are that torn about it, offer to pay 1/2.

Want to pay it forward? write a song or an instrumental when you get home and dedicate it to them....

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

iDavid
12-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a few KoAloha second's and there really isn't any thing "seconds" about them. Some are true seconds, but I am pretty sure the KoAloha guys just put some out to have something to sell. I went there two years ago and they have my family a uke.... obviously they are not just in the business for the profit margin. Great people

PereBourik
12-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I bought a ukulele I did not need when I was in Hilo on vacation.
Every time I play it great memories of my trip return.

Yes, this. You can't put a price on memories. This may be the one that reminds you of a great family trip for years to come.

I bought an 'ukulele I didn't need in Hawi my last trip. I'm completely unobjective about the way it sounds because it brings back that trip every time I take it out of the case.

Kyle23
12-30-2013, 03:23 PM
The way I look at it, if you leave without one you might regret it. Honestly, buying a Hawaiian made ukulele while in Hawaii is an amazing thing for any uke player. Like someone else said, your parents offered and you can slowly pay them back or do things for them to repay them. Go for it.

consitter
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Okay okay....

We're all waiting. Have you looked at anything yet?

consitter
12-30-2013, 10:44 PM
I have a few KoAloha second's and there really isn't any thing "seconds" about them. Some are true seconds, but I am pretty sure the KoAloha guys just put some out to have something to sell. I went there two years ago and they have my family a uke.... obviously they are not just in the business for the profit margin. Great people

I have 2 seconds. On one, I can't find the flaw. On the other, the only thing I can find is a small dimple in the wood on the back. And I had to look for that. One, a concert, I bought from the shop over the phone in 2006. The other, a Pineapple Sunday was gifted to me by Alvin "Pops" Okami himself when we visited the shop in August 2012. He sang for my kids, and even fed us lunch. We had fried chicken, chili, and macaroni salad from Zippy's. We ate with the family and shop crew. Afterward, Paul took us on a tour of the factory. It was an awesome experience!

ChaosToo
12-30-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm planning a 'once in a lifetime' trip to Hawaii in 2015 - buying a Hawaiian uke is a major part of that trip, as is picking up a new longboard from a shaper on the North Shore - I'd second what most are saying - GO FOR IT! :D

consitter
12-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm planning a 'once in a lifetime' trip to Hawaii in 2015 - buying a Hawaiian uke is a major part of that trip, as is picking up a new longboard from a shaper on the North Shore - I'd second what most are saying - GO FOR IT! :D

Are you going around November/December, when the big waves are happening on the North Shore?

coolkayaker1
12-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Whatever you do, don't buy a new uke contingent upon later selling your Loprinzi.

The ukulele fad is dying, exceptional high end ukes (eg 2 Kamakas and a Koaloha on UU now not budging even at low prices, a recent Pineapple Sunday given away, etc) sit on market boards for a long time or are yanked by sellers. Loprinzi, although a strong uke, is not one that is as popular as even the K brands, so a sale may--notice I said May, I do not know, you might find a person desperate for a Loprinzi right at the moment--require such a price reduction from what you paid that you decide, as many do, to keep it.

So, my point only is, don't buy something else thinking you will sell the Loprinzi.

vanflynn
12-31-2013, 03:01 AM
sell the Loprinzi.
???

Sell a uke??

ukulelearp
12-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went by Hawaii Music Supply today and after looking at all the options, I left with a Koaloha super soprano. I played the Kamakas and the Kanileas and neither sounded as good to me as the Koaloha. I'm still planning on going by the Koaloha factory, but they're closed today and tomorrow. I really love this ukulele so far. It sounds amazing and has the soprano sound I was looking for. Thanks again for your ideas!

Ukulele Eddie
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a well thought out decision.

UkerDanno
01-01-2014, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I went by Hawaii Music Supply today and after looking at all the options, I left with a Koaloha super soprano. I played the Kamakas and the Kanileas and neither sounded as good to me as the Koaloha. I'm still planning on going by the Koaloha factory, but they're closed today and tomorrow. I really love this ukulele so far. It sounds amazing and has the soprano sound I was looking for. Thanks again for your ideas!

Congrat's, nice choice, I'm sure you will treasure it for a long time. I would like a Koaloha myself!

vanflynn
01-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Congrats! We'll need some pics when you get home

Edgeguy
01-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Congrats too! This will be one uke that will bring up a lot of beautiful memories when you play it.

On a side note I just ordered a KoAloha concert from HMS and should receive it early next week. The great reviews about the sound and the cool looking crown sold me.

kvehe
01-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Congratulations and Happy 2014! I just love my KoAloha super concert, and my tenor-neck soprano. I know you will have many happy hours with your new uke.

migal
01-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi tail it out to the Aloha Stadium to the big Swapmeet and look for bestukulele's tent and see Nandy or Evonne (owners) and ask them about a K brand. They will have some for sure and I can assure you that you will save heaps of money over what is available in the shops in Honolulu.

I have bought a couple of ukes from them and absolutely love the Kanilea I bought last year and even better was the price, about $600 less than quoted in one of the shops in the main drag in Hololulu.

The stadium is near Pearl Harbor and (from memory) is on Wednesday, Saturdays and Sundays.

Go for it. Cheers Mike

mm stan
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Congrats on your koaloha score...it sure will be a keepsake filled with memories of your trip to hawaii

coolkayaker1
01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
I like KoAlohas greatly. Nice.

I'll look forward to photos and dets about your 'prinzi on UU Marketplace.

wickedwahine11
01-02-2014, 02:40 AM
You made a great choice, KoAlohas are wonderful ukes. You will love it even more after you go to the factory and see what wonderful people make them.

wayfarer75
01-02-2014, 02:50 AM
Awesome choice! Those KoAlohas sound so nice. Enjoy the rest of your trip! :shaka:

Newportlocal
01-02-2014, 05:41 AM

Congratulations on your new Koaloha! Hope you get many many years of enjoyment and good memories from it. I am glad you got one! A wise choice indeed.

johnnyn2o
01-02-2014, 05:56 AM
I'd prefer to buy it myself if possible.

That is a very good goal. Put off the instant gratification, and earn the money on your own. Once you make the decision, you can get on with your vacation. You'll feel better when you look in the mirror and that my friend is priceless.

I should have read the complete thread before replying. Congrats, I sincerely wish you many hours of good music from your new uke

PereBourik
01-02-2014, 08:40 AM
KoAloha has a distinct sound and volume. Not surprising that you liked and chose it. Enjoy that sweet 'uke. I have a KoAloha and a KoAlana. Both have that distinct voice. I hope you have years of enjoyment with it and each time you play remember a trip to the islands.

teruterubouzu
01-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Congratulations! You will always have happy memories of getting that ukulele.