Tuners of Choice

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I'm having a custom tenor uke built and wanted to solicit feedback on tuners. I prefer the rearward facing tuners because of ease of tuning and the clean lines on the headstock.

So among those who build instruments, if you were building something special for yourself, what would you use?

Thanks in advance for any input.

If I were building for myself it would be slotted. But for what you want I'm digging the Gotoh UPTLs. They are a little bundle of marvelous design and engineering. Buttah smooth as well.
But ask your builder what he/she likes to work with.

What he said.:D

If I were building for myself it would be slotted. But for what you want I'm digging the Gotoh UPTLs. They are a little bundle of marvelous design and engineering. Buttah smooth as well.
But ask your builder what he/she likes to work with.

How do these compare to the Pegheds? I'm about to specify details for a build myself and was leaning toward Peghed (one option offered) but "other tuners" is also an option listed. ;)

I also like the Gotoh UPTL tuners over the Pegheads. The Gotoh's are a little heavier than the Pegheads but are really, really smooth and substantial feeling when you use them.

Thanks, Chuck. And for the record, for a slotted headstock which tuners would you prefer for your own build?

Probably use the Gotoh's if you like friction style tuning machines. I prefer geared, and used to used Gotoh's.

Now, its Hipshot. Made in America. Feels like Gilberts, at a fraction of the cost. Plus, there's only a handful (if that) of guys that I know of putting them on `ukulele - the builders at the last UGH exhibition liked them. They just came out with a Schaller style geared. I'll stick with their "open geared" since they work well.

Probably use the Gotoh's if you like friction style tuning machines. I prefer geared, and used to used Gotoh's.

Now, its Hipshot. Made in America. Feels like Gilberts, at a fraction of the cost. Plus, there's only a handful (if that) of guys that I know of putting them on `ukulele - the builders at the last UGH exhibition liked them. They just came out with a Schaller style geared. I'll stick with their "open geared" since they work well.

Aaron, your comment may be a little confusing to those unfamiliar with the new Gotoh tuners. They are indeed geared tuners. Planetary style, 4:1 ratio. I'll use Pegheds though when I don't want a lot of hardware showing on the head stock. It's a matter of personal preference though, I think Gilbert's and Schallers are both fugly. Again, ask your builder, his advice is part of he package.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

+1

Very helpful prior to discussing options soon.

And a tip of the hat to luthiers who answer our questions to provide insight and guidance. It makes getting a custom from one of you so much more fun and meaningful in the long run.

Last edited:
I would always go with what the builder recommends,you are paying and selecting your builder for that reason,just do your homework and pick the best builder for you

make your own decisions on which buiilder to use and then stay out of their way even something like the tuners may seem like a small part of the build, but you can see many different opinions on them

I see it a bit differently. Rubber Necker. Tuners are one of the primary user interfaces that can affect the user experience. I have heard many comments from people who like a particular uke but hate the tuners. I have found I strongly prefer rearward facing tuners because I like the clean lines on the headstock and I know that I prefer geared tuners. I certainly won't tell him how to brace the uke or what type of gloss to use, but if I strongly prefer rear-facing, gear tuners, then my builder should (and is) willing to accommodate this. I came here just to get a variety of perspectives on which ones luthiers like themselves so that I can then have a more productive discussion with the luthier who is building my first custom uke. The more educated I am, the better collaboration we'll have and the greater likelihood I'll be ecstatic with my purchase (which is always the best outcome for the luthier).

Aaron, your comment may be a little confusing to those unfamiliar with the new Gotoh tuners. They are indeed geared tuners. Planetary style, 4:1 ratio. I'll use Pegheds though when I don't want a lot of hardware showing on the head stock. It's a matter of personal preference though, I think Gilbert's and Schallers are both fugly. Again, ask your builder, his advice is part of he package.

Damn, I reread my post and thought "what the heck did I just write?" Good call, Chuck.

My post defined - If you like Friction style tuning machines, go with the Gotoh UPTL's (geared planetary, which, knowing Gotoh, will be WAY better than actual frictions). I used Gotoh GEARED in the past, but have switched to Hipshot.

Yeah, not to fond of the look of Gilberts initially, but they grow on you once you start spinning the knobs. This is whay I like the Hipshots - smooth, accurate - got them on my Bass, of course. I haven't bought into Pegheads, especially since one "good" aspect is that they're light, and one instrument that my friend plays with Pegheads continually goes out of tune (of course, this is only ONE instrument). I've come to appreciate weight at the headstock, but one could argue the DragonPlate CF results in the same effect as weight at the headstock.

Bottom line, I absolutely agree with what the other builders have recommended - go with what your builder recommends.

Uhm, has your friend adjusted the pegheds? the tension can be adjusted on those.

I have them on 3 of my favorite ukes, and wish I could afford them for the rest of my herd...

make your own decisions on which buiilder to use and then stay out of their way even something like the tuners may seem like a small part of the build, but you can see many different opinions on them

I agree with this to a point... I think it ultimately depends on the builder you choose and how they work. Some will be more opinionated on this or have reasons to use a specific tuner based on the look, feel and functionality they are aiming for in the instruments they create.

The builder I chose seems to be open to choice on this front, based on customer preference. I'm sure once I get into the details we will discuss what he feels will work best on the headstock he makes. His opinion/recommendation will certainly heavily influence the final decision. I get the sense that he'd be okay with Peghed OR Gotoh if I picked one over the other. Probably one of the reasons I happily ended up with the builder I did.

Builders also have specific opinions about wood, shapes, etc... Lots of details to consider when hoping a luthier will put you on their build list. :)

I have Pegheds one one uke and the Gotoh UPTs on another. They are both big improvements over friction tuners. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Gotohs.

I have Pegheds one one uke and the Gotoh UPTs on another. They are both big improvements over friction tuners. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Gotohs.

I like the Gotohs over the Pegheds. I personally don't like the manual adjustment of pushing in the Peghed to make the turning harder and vice versa.

Uhm, has your friend adjusted the pegheds? the tension can be adjusted on those.

I have them on 3 of my favorite ukes, and wish I could afford them for the rest of my herd...

I'm always amazed at the number of people I run across that don't know that the Pegheds work EXACTLY like a traditional violin peg. The tension is increased by pushing the peg inward and loosened by pulling slightly outward as they are turning. The only sets I've seen that slipped took about 5 seconds to "snug up" and this was greeted with the "I had no idea they were supposed to work that way" comment. Great tuner that gets much maligned because people don't know how to use them. Unfortunately the manufacturer isn't of much help in that department, either.

I use a lot of pegheads and it's true that many users are not aware of the 'adjustment' aspect.
As for 1:1 wooden friction pegs I disagree that geared tuners are 'way better'. Learn to tune (especially by ear) and a wooden friction peg is both quick, easy and reliable. It DOES take a certain amount of training, perhaps a few minutes per day over a period of a few months. In fact it was using friction Pegs that forced me to tune harmonically. 30 years of using geared Pegs and I could not tune without reference pitches. Less than 1 year of using friction Pegs and I could tune harmonically. They improved my ear by a huge margin. It may seem odd but in a way they force one to actually listen, at least that was my experience of them. I think part of the problem is that most people think them too difficult, unreliable and inaccurate.
Nothing could be further from the truth, as thousands of professional orchestral Violin players will tell you.

Top Bottom