Strings' tension

tonet

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking in the lack of information about the tension of the strings. I know the tension of Daddario and Nylgut strings but I miss the amount tension from Worth, Blacklines, Ko'olau, Oasis, etc... I guess that is pretty important to know all the parameters of the strings to choose well considering your ukulele and playing style. Do you have more information? Many thanks.

I just spent three-four months getting all of the bass strings calculated for tension here at work, so depending on timeframe can easily start on the ukulele sets. I had original weights and measurements from the place we get our fluoro strings from, but after noticing a couple of discrepancies in it, figured that I needed to get that information calculated in-house. It'll take a bit of time.

However, the biggest misconception that people make in regard to tension is confusing the tension of the string (which is the amount of force - in pounds - put on the instrument when the string is tuned to a specific pitch) with the feel of the string, which is how it feels to the player. You can have a string with a high amount of tension and have it feel quite loose under your fingers, yet a lot of people equate stiff strings to high tension (which again, is more of the make up of the string over the amount of force pulled on the instrument).

I just spent three-four months getting all of the bass strings calculated for tension here at work, so depending on timeframe can easily start on the ukulele sets. I had original weights and measurements from the place we get our fluoro strings from, but after noticing a couple of discrepancies in it, figured that I needed to get that information calculated in-house. It'll take a bit of time.

However, the biggest misconception that people make in regard to tension is confusing the tension of the string (which is the amount of force - in pounds - put on the instrument when the string is tuned to a specific pitch) with the feel of the string, which is how it feels to the player. You can have a string with a high amount of tension and have it feel quite loose under your fingers, yet a lot of people equate stiff strings to high tension (which again, is more of the make up of the string over the amount of force pulled on the instrument).

That is totally true. Aquilas have more tension than T2 and they feel floppier on the fingers. Why?

Last edited:
I need to know the tension mainly to protect my nails. I use lots of flamenco strums. I can use Proartes and Ko'olau Golds without breaking my nails. Are there more options?

Lots of factors, scale, string compound, string guage, action, setup ....I see you prefer thicker guage strings for the warmer tones ....
also where you attack the strings do makes sense too...for you nails...have you calculated playability and comfort into your equation....it's a balance between tone clarity and comfort and playability...

Last edited:
For me it is not comfort to play my fast flamenco strums with fluorocarbons, they are too thin and they damge my nails very fast. Thick strings are normally warmer (T2 and Alohis are thick and pretty bright too) and better to protect the nails. (Jake and Aldrine have an agressive attack and they use thick strings, Proartes and T2 respectively)

Last edited:
Top Bottom