PDA

View Full Version : D'Addario Nyltech Soprano Strings?

Papa Tom
12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Someone just gave me a set of these (high G) to try on my soprano. I've been using Aquila Nylguts from an older batch all along and I like the brightness of them. In fact, I prefer a "twangy" sound on my ukes, rather than the pretty Hawaiian tones many have. So am I going to like the D'Addario's, or should I re-gift them?

tonet
12-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Nyltechs from Daddario are mellower than Nylguts. Maybe if you use a D tuning on your soprano uke (like me) these strings could show you their bright side.

delray48209
12-30-2013, 09:34 AM
I use the D'Addario Nylguts on my Martin S1 and I like them because they are a bit mellower. They are not "twangy" like you prefer. You may want to re-gift them if you don't like a mellower tone.

ScooterD35
12-30-2013, 09:47 AM
I like the D'Addarios. They sound and feel, to me, more like the original Nylguts (as opposed to the "New Nylguts).

Scooter

angusdegraosta
12-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I especially like the Nyltechs for soprano... well-rounded sound made ideally for gCEA tuning.

TheCraftedCow
12-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Aren't they made by Aquila for D'Addario?

Papa Tom
12-31-2013, 01:04 AM
>>>Aren't they made by Aquila for D'Addario? <<<<

Oh, I don't know. Can anybody answer that one?

tonet
12-31-2013, 01:18 AM
Yes, they are made by Aquila for Daddario.

coolkayaker1
12-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Do they snap then?

ScooterD35
12-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Yes, they are made by Aquila for Daddario.

Actually, I believe they are made in the USA by D'Addario using Aquila's proprietary formula.

The back of the package says, "Developed in cooperation with Aquila", has a logo on the back with "NYLTECH developed by Aquilla" and clearly says "Made in USA" on both the front and back of the package.

There's a lot that I like about these strings. Great tone, great feel, made in America and Mimmo's family makes money as well.

Scooter

Five Ways
12-31-2013, 03:34 AM
I was given a new set for tenor two days ago, and not sure weather to try them or pass them on?

bnolsen
12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
If you like aquilas the nyltechs are definitely worth a try. They are comparable and less expensive.

For a short while I had two concert flukes, one with nyltechs (replaced hilos) and one with the factory aquilas. I preferred the feel of the nyltechs over the aquilas. Both strings seemed pretty similar with string diameter and tension.

At the moment I personally much prefer oasis strings, or martin m600s to either the nylguts or nyltechs.

tonet
12-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Actually, I believe they are made in the USA by D'Addario using Aquila's proprietary formula.

The back of the package says, "Developed in cooperation with Aquila", has a logo on the back with "NYLTECH developed by Aquilla" and clearly says "Made in USA" on both the front and back of the package.

There's a lot that I like about these strings. Great tone, great feel, made in America and Mimmo's family makes money as well.

Scooter

Sorry, Scooter is right. Nyltechs are made in america with an Aquila's formula.