Perfect Makala Dolphin

DaleR

Reaction score
Happy New Year UUers!

I bought a black dolphin almost a year ago from Uke Republic. It was really good at the time and after a year of tweaking and a couple of string changes, it really has perfect intonation. It also has a bright and full tone, with the Freemont Blacklines I installed. Mike McQueen really outdid himself with this particular uke.

How many of you, out of all your ukes, have one of those perfect dolphins?!:shaka:

Mine's not perfect, but I bought one from MGM when he had an eBay store that sounds better than some laminate ukes I've played. He set each one up and he put Aquilas on Dolphins back before Kala was doing that.

Cool, a perfect Dolphin is like finding the Holy Grail! :)

None of ours are perfect, but we have 5 of them (one for each grandkid) and they're all pretty darn good! The first two we got from MGM and they are about as close as I've seen, the other 3 I bought after MGM quit selling them and are still pretty good with my set up. I don't think there's a better uke at their price point.

I thought the perfect Dolphin rode away from Sasquatch on a unicorn.

Heh...I guess I am the lucky man here! OK, near perfect intonation and I play all the way up to B on the neck...it bar chords great, the fifth C is a slight sharp to the open G string, but very slight. And I am a slave to the tuner and master of my ear too.

I really do love my dolphin, as I guess you might too!

Happy New Year UUers!

My dolphins are perfect too. Perfect starter uke. Not perfect in any other way. I'm glad you have a perfect one. But mine are simply used to get my students interested in ukulele. And my daughter.

If you are a dolphin fan, I do encourage you to tune in to my extreme uke challenge.

I remember you posting about buying it, and how happy you were with it. Cool to hear you two are still together and committed. :/

I'm not sure I would know 'perfect' if it bit me in the ass, but I'm perfectly happy with all of the ukuleles I'm fortunate enough to own, including a dolphin. They each and every one have a different flavor and I pick up most of them every day. Mood and whim decide which one I reach for. There will always be place for the dolphin in my house. I still don't have a black one, though. Damnit.

I would love to have a shark, but they do not come in black...lol...and mahalo on the positive comment! I have been playing mine just today for about three hours!

Makala Black Shark.jpg
Did someone say black shark? :)

The color that wasn't supposed to be! Kala made some but it's not a color in the 2014 line up so these may just be a limited run, Black tip Shark is what they are calling them.

Oh and thanks Dale! Glad you still are enjoying the dolphin.

I have never checked every fret with an electronic tuner,
I am not that pernickity...or that good a player! BUT...I
have owned a Dolphin for a few years (One of the first
plastic backed ones) and it is fine for everything I ask of
it! It also travels virtually everywhere with me,with no ill
effects.

I've run into some good Dolphins. I am taken with the idea of pimping one out; good strings, etc.

I did tweak mine and put on some Freemont Blacklines! Very good player and looker!

Top Bottom